News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

TAKEDOWN!

Started by sigh, 14:37, 19 February 20

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

Hello,

I have just finished creating all the artwork (including the menu and loading screens etc), animation and gameplay design for a one button fighting game. It has taken me only a few weeks to do this, as it was done in order to take a break from working on the beat em up which I will be back on again from this week onwards.

The game is called "Takedown". I wanted to create something that was quick and easy from an art point of view, so instead of focusing on character animation, I decided to have this game focus on special effects instead. I also wanted to try my hand at creating a  Mode 1 game. The game is a 128kb game due to how large the special effects are. All special effects are created only using one colour. There will also be rasters used for the sky.There is no "HUD". The hud is within the game itself, so there will be no black bars with scores or a clock. I wanted to create the hud within the context of the game as much as I could. For instance - the shadow represents the players stamina; the clock is on the building, the score is on the traffic lights.

Gameplay:
It is a "one" button game. There are NO joystick controls. Only the fire button is used. The idea was to challenge myself in creating a one button fighting game, just like how "Dive Kick" is a two button fighting game. Also - to make it easier in terms of programming as well as playing the game. There is still a lot of skill required to be good at the game despite the simple control. There is also a drone that flies across the screen and drops items that can be used in battle.

Press fire to jump - then fire again to attack. Press fire again while attacking to somersault backwards (evade).

There are also special abilities and parrying that need to be skillfully timed with button presses in order to execute successfully.

The drone. The orb cycles through the colours as it drops. Each colour represents a utility or weapon.

The character sprite sheet is small - probably taking around 8kb

I would like to thanks Roudoudou and Axelay, for answering my questions on storing graphics and working with rasters.

In regards to the sound effects, I think it would be nice to have some digitzed speech on "Fight" and "Takedown". The music - I was thinking maybe UK Garage

SO - are there any programmers interested? ;D

Gryzor

This looks beautiful and very, very fresh! Hope we get some takers :D

sigh

Thank you.
I wanted to keep this design quick and simple; something I could nip in and out of while working on the beat em up, to help with burn out. The football game was originally supposed to fill that void, but that became a huge project in itself and even though that game is finished, (from an art point of view) it took far longer to complete the anmations than I had envisaged.

Takedown - was originally going to be a 64kb game, but the effects would have had to be removed to achieve that. There would also only be room for one type of character with a palette swap and the sound effects/music would of taken a hit too. I didn't want this to happen - so after suggestions for Axelay - 128kb would be the route to go.
Takedown, also has no scrolling which also helps.

trocoloco

Wow the concept is very cool  8) . I like a lot the idea of the integrated hud and the type of gameplay with such fluid sprites' moves.

About the music , I love UK Garage!I think that suits nicely although i don't think I've heard tunes that sound like propper UK Garage on AY chips.  Btw, what kind of style within UK Garage are you thinking about?  4/4 or breakbeat rhythms? Have you considered Drum and Bass perhaps?

sigh

Quote from: trocoloco on 16:16, 19 February 20
Wow the concept is very cool  8) . I like a lot the idea of the integrated hud and the type of gameplay with such fluid sprites' moves.
The concept is inspired by "Dive Kick". A two button game where you have a jump button and a kick button. I thought it would be simple enough for the CPC to handle. It also didn't require much artwork.

Quote from: trocoloco on 16:16, 19 February 20
About the music , I love UK Garage!I think that suits nicely although i don't think I've heard tunes that sound like propper UK Garage on AY chips.  Btw, what kind of style within UK Garage are you thinking about?  4/4 or breakbeat rhythms? Have you considered Drum and Bass perhaps?

Yes! - I have also considered Drum and Bass too. I've been listening to a lot of 90's and early 2000 UK Garage compilations while working on this project (the obvious ones such as M:Dubs Feat. Lady Saw ‎– Bump 'N' Grind, Sticky Feat. Ms Dynamite - Booo! etc) but to be honest - my knowledge on different styles are limited. Feel free to bring me up to date ;D .
I usually play the gif animations alongside different genres of music in order to get a feeling of what fits - UK Garage and Funk fitted quite well. Industrial Metal "sort of" fitted, but felt a little too fast pace as there are moments in the game that can become slower paced if the players deplete their stamina.* This could make the music of Industrial Metal feel a little "off" in those moments.

However - it would be left to the musician, but I think that UK Garage and Funk would be cool.

*Stamina depletes ever time you attack. Depletion will exhaust your character and make them jump very low to the ground. The stamina replenishes quickly as shown in the gif.
This is in order to reduce spamming and randomness.

||C|-|E||

I looks lovely, and the concept is great too!

trocoloco

Quote from: sigh on 17:09, 19 February 20
Yes! - I have also considered Drum and Bass too. I've been listening to a lot of 90's and early 2000 UK Garage compilations while working on this project (the obvious ones such as M:Dubs Feat. Lady Saw ‎– Bump 'N' Grind, Sticky Feat. Ms Dynamite - Booo! etc) but to be honest - my knowledge on different styles are limited. Feel free to bring me up to date ;D .

Well there are many variants and new ones coming from UK Garage like Speed Garage, Grime, UK Funky and Future Garage which is a more ambiental and progressive, very deep tho but cool if you want a moment for chilling.
I like more the 2-Step and Breakbeat side of it than any other style, just like the tracks you've mentioned, 90's and early 2000,  I like the deeper ones with awesome basslines like the stuff from DJ South, Reservoir Dogs Central or more funky like Trick Or Treat, DJ Zinc or a million more but I don't want to spam the thread  ;D  . One compilation I can recommend you is "best of 90's ukg_2step by mike millrain" , if you are interested in more groups or tracks, let me know and I'll recommend you more stuff on a pm.

But yeah when you find the right music for your idea that definitively gives you an inspiration boost for your work and it really shows on what you have done so far.

Quote from: sigh on 17:09, 19 February 20
Stamina depletes ever time you attack. Depletion will exhaust your character and make them jump very low to the ground. The stamina replenishes quickly as shown in the gif.This is in order to reduce spamming and randomness.

I neve knew about this Dive Kick game, but it seems a good idea as it avoids button bashing and makes it more strategic .

I wish I could help you with the programming side but I don't have the skills
:doh: ,  on the musical side
I can't promise anything but I could give it a go.

sigh

Quote from: trocoloco on 20:46, 19 February 20
on the musical side I can't promise anything but I could give it a go.
That would be wonderful.

Quote from: trocoloco on 20:46, 19 February 20
I neve knew about this Dive Kick game, but it seems a good idea as it avoids button bashing and makes it more strategic .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xYZ899-ylI

fano

Absolutely great idea, perfectly match with CPC (and your mode 1 graphics are just fantastic!), no time for another devellopement but i hope you'll get a programmer for this !
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

sigh

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 20:28, 19 February 20
I looks lovely, and the concept is great too!
Quote from: fano on 08:34, 21 February 20
Absolutely great idea, perfectly match with CPC (and your mode 1 graphics are just fantastic!), no time for another devellopement but i hope you'll get a programmer for this !
Thanks.

I was actually looking to do the backgrounds digitized like the game "Bob Winner". That has amazing background graphics and I thought it would be interesting to use a similar method. In the end - I  didn't want to spend too much time researching how to create and optimize that style. It was easier just to draw it by hand instead.

Quote from: fano on 08:34, 21 February 20
...but i hope you'll get a programmer for this !
So do I! :)

||C|-|E||

Quote from: sigh on 20:47, 21 February 20
Thanks.

I was actually looking to do the backgrounds digitized like the game "Bob Winner". That has amazing background graphics and I thought it would be interesting to use a similar method. In the end - I  didn't want to spend too much time researching how to create and optimize that style. It was easier just to draw it by hand instead.
So do I! :)
I always prefer pixel art rather than digitized graphics, to be honest. I think your backgrounds look great  :) .

villain

Don't know if I would like the game, but the gfx look like pure art. Damn impressive!

genesis8

It looks really nice, I forwarded your ask for help on twitter : https://twitter.com/Genesis8bit/status/1231608518752571394

TotO

"Help needed to finish a game" ... If only mock-up was done, it is more "Help needed to start a game".  :D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

sigh

Quote from: genesis8 on 16:55, 23 February 20
It looks really nice, I forwarded your ask for help on twitter : https://twitter.com/Genesis8bit/status/1231608518752571394

Oh - thank you! (I'm not on twitter or Facebook, MySpace etc). Lets see what happens.

Quote from: TotO on 18:18, 23 February 20
"Help needed to finish a game" ... If only mock-up was done, it is more "Help needed to start a game".  :D

;D ;D ;D !

lmimmfn

Quote from: TotO on 18:18, 23 February 20
Ahh you have to admit it looks very impressive, I realise gfx isint everything but I would love to see this see the lightm
6128 for the win!!!