News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The In-Crowd release (and Dynamite)

Started by mgman, 23:56, 25 August 16

Previous topic - Next topic

mgman

There has been a tape version of The In-Crowd. Does there exist a disk release of it?

Does anyone have the tape release of the compilation Dynamite?

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: mgman on 23:56, 25 August 16
There has been a tape version of The In-Crowd. Does there exist a disk release of it?

From memory, that compilation was released in Summer 1989.
According to promotional posters, it was cassette only which sold at £14.95 UK.

AA Reviewed it in issue 44, giving it an overall rating of 88% with Barbarian being the star of the pack and Predator being the worst.

Does anyone have the tape release of the compilation Dynamite?

If you're referring to 100% Dynamite (Last Ninja 2, WEC Le Mans, Afterburner and Double Dragon (64k version)), that was also cassette only, released for Christmas 1989. I used to own it. LN2, WEC and Afterburner were the same as their full priced counterparts, Double Dragon was a 64k budget job that never saw release until that year which made it to that compilation (and others). The 128k version never made it to cassette as far as I'm aware.

AA reviewed this one in issue 52, giving it an overall score of 80%. LN2 and Double Dragon hadn't been reviewed before this.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

mgman

Thanks for the replies.

Quote from: TFM on 17:31, 29 August 16
the in crowd &copy ocean software (19??)

That link does not give anything explicitly, but looking at the scanned adverts there, one of them suggests In-Crowd (and Special Action) was released on tape and disk for CPC, Spectrum and C64. But I've only seen the disk release of the C64 version; never the CPC and Spectrum versions.

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 12:44, 30 August 16

From memory, that compilation was released in Summer 1989.
According to promotional posters, it was cassette only which sold at £14.95 UK.

AA Reviewed it in issue 44, giving it an overall rating of 88% with Barbarian being the star of the pack and Predator being the worst.

If you're referring to 100% Dynamite (Last Ninja 2, WEC Le Mans, Afterburner and Double Dragon (64k version)), that was also cassette only, released for Christmas 1989. I used to own it. LN2, WEC and Afterburner were the same as their full priced counterparts, Double Dragon was a 64k budget job that never saw release until that year which made it to that compilation (and others). The 128k version never made it to cassette as far as I'm aware.

AA reviewed this one in issue 52, giving it an overall score of 80%. LN2 and Double Dragon hadn't been reviewed before this.

I was thinking the same thing since I've so far never seen a disk version for sale or on any site. But this ad suggests it's available as disk for all 3 home computers: PictureZoom v2.1
On that image it lists the disk release as 14.95 and tape one as 12.99

The problem with the packaging is that the same box is used for both tape and disk releases, so you don't know which one it is by looking at it.

About the Dynamite compilation, I'm actually referring to this one: https://contrapedia.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/grycpcdynamite.png

Plus I found out it did come as both disk and tape. Yeah, the releases of these compilations between home computers and between countries are so varied, it's out of control.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: mgman on 23:30, 30 August 16
I was thinking the same thing since I've so far never seen a disk version for sale or on any site. But this ad suggests it's available as disk for all 3 home computers: PictureZoom v2.1
On that image it lists the disk release as 14.95 and tape one as 12.99

The problem with the packaging is that the same box is used for both tape and disk releases, so you don't know which one it is by looking at it.

Regarding The In Crowd. A disk version definitely didn't come out for the CPC, when AA reviewed it, there was no price listing for the disk version. Now obviously we're talking the UK Market. The advertising Ocean sent to the CPC magazines also listed cassette prices only, with no disks. Nothing concrete, but you can see a pattern forming.

QuoteAbout the Dynamite compilation, I'm actually referring to this one: https://contrapedia.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/grycpcdynamite.png

Plus I found out it did come as both disk and tape. Yeah, the releases of these compilations between home computers and between countries are so varied, it's out of control.

I wasn't aware of this one at all. So I did a bit of poking about, and the German version for the c64 had a few notable differences too: blackmagic

Karnov, Rastan, Wizball, The Last Ninja, Driller, Combat School, Arkanoid II and Bubble Bobble. Interesting. More curiously, on the physical tape, Rastan is known as Rastan Saga, despite the cover art on the box (or the text on the side of the box is simply known as Rastan). I know the arcade was known as Rastan Saga in some countries, notably Japan but it was never released on the 8 bit format as such to my knowledge.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

dlfrsilver

The Dynamite compilation was the french edition of the "The In Crowd" compilation, with some titles changed, and it got a disk release.

The fact was that in england, the CPC users mostly got 464, and in France the 6128 was the machine we prefered, hence the disk release here.

Ocean did that quite often.

The 100% dynamite compilation from ocean is another matter, and exists in tape and disk releases.

mgman

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 15:36, 31 August 16

Regarding The In Crowd. A disk version definitely didn't come out for the CPC, when AA reviewed it, there was no price listing for the disk version. Now obviously we're talking the UK Market. The advertising Ocean sent to the CPC magazines also listed cassette prices only, with no disks. Nothing concrete, but you can see a pattern forming.

That's a good point. I believe then that the ad was created before the compilation was released; once it came out in tape-only form (except on C64), they revised it, as shown here http://cpcrulez.fr/GamesAdvert/Compilation-Special_Action-The_in_Crowd.jpg

Shaun M. Neary

This also happened for 100% Dynamite, AA stated that it was released on cassette only which deducted a few marks as it would have put disk users off. This poster was taken from AA 51.

Either Ocean were over ambitious or AA got their facts wrong, either way it leaves food for thought...

pacomix

I had the Dynamite compilation but I sold it some months ago already => Fotos en streaming

You can take a look there for the picture.

I also have the in crowd but only cassette for Amstrad and Commodore. No disks...

zeropolis79

Quote from: dlfrsilver on 16:34, 31 August 16
The Dynamite compilation was the french edition of the "The In Crowd" compilation, with some titles changed, and it got a disk release.

The fact was that in england, the CPC users mostly got 464, and in France the 6128 was the machine we prefered, hence the disk release here.

Ocean did that quite often.

The 100% dynamite compilation from ocean is another matter, and exists in tape and disk releases.

Same with Codemasters - the French got Quattro compilations on disc...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 23:28, 08 September 16
Same with Codemasters - the French got Quattro compilations on disc...

Wonder how they were able to make money that way? The whole point of Codies keeping their stuff on tape for most of the time was to keep the cost down using less is more marketing. Tapes were also easier mass produced.

Although I think I remember @MacDeath saying once that in France there was very little market for the 464, and the 6128 sold better. I may have been imagining that, but given his hatred for the 464, I'll go out on a limb and bet it was him.  ;) :laugh:

mgman

Quote from: pacomix on 20:55, 04 September 16
I had the Dynamite compilation but I sold it some months ago already => Fotos en streaming

You can take a look there for the picture.

I also have the in crowd but only cassette for Amstrad and Commodore. No disks...

This is a really cool collection. Do you have or have you seen the Spectrum version of Special Action (from Imagine)? I've been trying to find a shot of its box with the Spectrum Cassette sticker; there's only 1 image of it online and it's angled and labelled over with a watermark.

dlfrsilver

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 17:20, 09 September 16

Wonder how they were able to make money that way? The whole point of Codies keeping their stuff on tape for most of the time was to keep the cost down using less is more marketing. Tapes were also easier mass produced.

Although I think I remember @MacDeath saying once that in France there was very little market for the 464, and the 6128 sold better. I may have been imagining that, but given his hatred for the 464, I'll go out on a limb and bet it was him.  ;) :laugh:

the most sold CPC in France was the CPC 6128. Since then, the companies made in France Disc releases since it was the best selling product.

It's not hattred, it's that we French people wanted the best CPC :)

TFM

Well, a tape and 48 usable KB or.... a super fast floppy disc and 112 usable KB - that's quite a difference.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

robcfg

I absolutely agree, but you'll have to agree that the CPC464 is prettier than the CPC6128  ;D

zeropolis79

I've got two of those Quattro comps myself - Quattro Dizzy Adventures and Quattro Shoot-em Ups.. Hoping to get more as I'm tryng to get a complete Codemasters set

TFM

Quote from: robcfg on 22:44, 11 September 16
I absolutely agree, but you'll have to agree that the CPC464 is prettier than the CPC6128  ;D

No way! Nothing tops the 6128, but I may would think different if the 464 (instead of the 6128) would have been my first CPC.  ;) :)

(Ok, between you and me: The 664 is the best looking)
TFM of FutureSoft