News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The Shadows of Sergoth - A Dungeon Crawler on the Amstrad CPC

Started by Neil79, 17:24, 04 October 17

Previous topic - Next topic

GUNHED

Thanks for you detailed help! I will try it now.  :)  Since I'm not familiar with that kind of games I rather start from scratch.  :)

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 18:16, 06 May 18
Or RTFM! ^_^

It's not written in the FutureOS Manual, that crap is pretty boring, nothing about games at all  ;) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

DARKGATE

:o :o :o , with this great game is possible made others games using the same engine,  next future an DUNGEON MASTER for CPC can be great!!!!
This game is FANTASTIC!!!!
Do not underestimate the power of AMSTRAD CPC.

jesusdelmas

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 07:53, 07 May 18

Try hitting the switches in order - "2115435"
So, hit the second from the left, left-most twice, right-most, second from right, middle then finally the right-most switch!

Then go through the teleport to level 3!

Also, you're not going to like LEVEL 5... it is full of fake walls and hidden passages! ^_^

The "CURE POISON" spell is in the "secret" area of level 3!

thaks for the advice! i see that ill have fun on level 5   ;D [size=78%]anyway knowing that will make thins better cuz i know now abot the fake walls so i wont feel like wasting my time hehehe[/size]

Arnaud

Quote from: jesusdelmas on 13:47, 07 May 18
anyway knowing that will make thins better cuz i know now abot the fake walls so i wont feel like wasting my time hehehe
;D

ukmarkh

Easily the best game ever for the Amstrad CPC... I love it as much as Dungeon Master, but in an 8bit kinda way [emoji12]

Is there a way to save game progress other than snapshots, I don't have a great experience of using snapshots and winape32?

The last snapshot I took crashed on me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tastefulmrship

Quote from: GUNHED on 12:34, 07 May 18
It's not written in the FutureOS Manual, that crap is pretty boring, nothing about games at all  ;) :) :)
I see what you did there! Very good! ^_^

Quote from: ukmarkh on 14:11, 07 May 18
Is there a way to save game progress other than snapshots, I don't have a great experience of using snapshots and winape32?

The last snapshot I took crashed on me...
The game automatically saves whenever you go UP or DOWN a level and there's also a SAVE option when you QUIT.
HINT: REST OFTEN! VERY, VERY OFTEN! TOO OFTEN, INFACT!

Make sure your WinAPE snapshot is set for 128k and not 64k, otherwise it will crash when you reload it!

EDIT: Map removed, as requested!

Targhan

@SuTeKH/Epyteor Please remove this, this is a spoiler! Many objects are hidden this way! Please hide this...
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

cpcitor

Quote from: cpcitor on 00:10, 31 October 17
So fluid, I'm wondering if some animations are not "cheating" (like: you can't actually move while a door is moving or a object flies).

Bingo! While a door is opening or closing, it seems you can't do anything. In Dungeon Master (on Atari ST, Amiga, PC) you and monsters can move while a door closes or opens, which opens up a number of possibilities (crush monster under door, escape if door closes on you, even close it from inside a room and run out while it closes).

In TSOS, can a closing door crush a monster, like on Dungeon Master?

I tried with a bat, no success so far.
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

cpcitor

Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

Targhan

@cpcitor The game is great, but a very simple version of Dungeon Master. Nothing is real time, it is turned-based. It reminds me of the first Might&Magic on PC.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

cpcitor

Quote from: Targhan on 16:31, 07 May 18
@cpcitor The game is great, but a very simple version of Dungeon Master. Nothing is real time, it is turned-based. It reminds me of the first Might&Magic on PC.

Yes, as written in the Fine Manual (TM).  ;)

You're right, it is turn-based yet feels pretty "smooth" besides the specific cases that allow to detect an actual difference.

I'd be tempted to promote it to "turn-and-a-half-based", like doom is a "2D-and-a-half" yet feels 3D so much.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_(1993_video_game)#cite_ref-NotTrue3D_58-0 :
QuoteA common criticism of Doom was that it was not a true 3D game, since the game engine did not allow corridors and rooms to be stacked on top of one another (room-over-room), and instead relied on graphical trickery to make it appear that the player character and enemies were moving along differing elevations.[57]

(AFAIK Quake https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_(video_game) was the first real 3D textured first-person shooter.)

khaz

I'm just done with Shining in the Darkness (literally yesterday), so I'll take a break from dungeon crawlers, but I'm keeping an eye on this game. I'l likely give it a shot in a couple of months :)

tastefulmrship

Now that I have defeated the "final boss", I am looking forward to purchasing all the DLC mission packs over the next few years! This game can be extended almost infinitely!

Definitely my all-time favourite CPC game of all time!

jesusdelmas

I just came here to say that I FUCKING hate the cobra snakes!!

just that, thanks for watching  ;D

Carnivius

Good game.  Not my sort of genre and gameplay but I had a couple goes on it yesterday and it's fast, well presented and enjoyable.  I did get overwhelmed by the amount of controls though. Not something easily mappable to a one or two button joystick like all the other CPC games I play.  But yeah overall a very nice production.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Arnaud

Just finished, i accidently go to the last level without having explored whole current level. I fear i missed something  :-[

Really good game, mix between Eye of Beholder and Might And Magic.

khaz

You guys have finished it already? Is it that short of a game?

Arnaud

Quote from: khaz on 13:34, 08 May 18
You guys have finished it already? Is it that short of a game?
Around 10-12h

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Arnaud on 12:34, 08 May 18
Just finished, i accidently go to the last level without having explored whole current level. I fear i missed something  :-[
Were you "curious"after you finished the game? With FACE A inserted?

Arnaud

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 20:52, 08 May 18
Were you "curious"after you finished the game? With FACE A inserted?
Yes but with help of @Kukulcan , nice bonus  :)

tastefulmrship

MEGA SPOILER: Attached is the location of all 20 banners!
NSFW: Level 05 contains a rather large Willy! Be warned!

EDIT: FYI: I'm still missing one spell, so these maps are NOT 100% uncovered! Some "fall holes" are missing on a couple of levels!

Targhan

FINISHED IT! Found all the spells, destroyed all the banners, so I guess I found everything (except the hidden stuff on Side A, though I haven't searched yet).

A great game. I admit going back to my CPC for an hour or two every day to play this game was a great experience!

One reproach would be that the game is quite easy when you have figured the whole kill/rest/cure spell thing. Plus the healing spell does not cost much, even for a character that is not good at magic, so I was never in trouble (my character was the Lizard). Also, some weapons are massively powerful, even against magical creatures.

Maybe I am the only one thinking that way?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Arnaud

Quote from: Targhan on 10:31, 10 May 18
FINISHED IT! Found all the spells, destroyed all the banners, so I guess I found everything (except the hidden stuff on Side A, though I haven't searched yet).

A great game. I admit going back to my CPC for an hour or two every day to play this game was a great experience!

One reproach would be that the game is quite easy when you have figured the whole kill/rest/cure spell thing. Plus the healing spell does not cost much, even for a character that is not good at magic, so I was never in trouble (my character was the Lizard). Also, some weapons are massively powerful, even against magical creatures.

Maybe I am the only one thinking that way?

I also found the game easy but i haven't played with the most difficult settings, and finally i died quite often. But i'm agree when we have good stuff (magical sword, regeneration cape, and full cure spell) all became easier.
For me, the game was pretty difficult in my first run because of poison, i haven't found the way to cure it and i run out of potions.

I think if we found the game not too difficult, it's because of the linearity of a dungeon. In open world as M&M3, some places are too difficult and we have to do something else while waiting to have the right level.
In my memories of old CRPG player, Eye of Beholder and Dungeon Master were easy, and Chaos Strike Back or Might And Magic were more difficult, for me the difference is due to the no linearity of the games.

Hwikaa

So far I've been able to reach level 10, and man!, I enjoy it so much! This game has a strong Eye of the Beholder feeling, and it reminds me all the hours spent in the sewers of Waterdeep... ^^

Congratz to the team on bringing such a game to the CPC, this is literally a major achievement!

One thing, though: I tried to play The Shadows of Sergoth on my actual CPC (CRTC 2) via my Floppy Emulator, but I never passed the language selector screen. When trying to display the main screen, the game freezes.

Has anyone of you experienced the same kind of issue?