News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Phoenix Emulator for the Amstrad CPC

Started by norbert_kehrer, 00:16, 01 December 16

Previous topic - Next topic

norbert_kehrer

Hi,

I wrote an "emulator"/conversion, of the classic arcade game Phoenix from 1980 for the CPC. The original arcade machine was made by the American company Amstar (sounds a little bit like Amstrad, doesn't it) and had a 8085 CPU. So, the Amstrad CPC can directly run the original game program on its 8085-compatible Z80 CPU. In order to emulate the arcade machine's video and sound hardware on the Amstrad home computer, I wrote specific Z80 routines for that. These are still a little bit buggy now, and the sound is still bad.

I made two versions of the game. One with sixteen colors but lower resolution (file "phoenix"), and a second one with the original resolution but with only four colors (file "phoenixh").

You  can download a disk image with both versions of the game from my homepage at http://members.aon.at/~nkehrer of with that link to the "dsk" file: http://members.aon.at/~nkehrer/phoenix_cpc/phoenix.dsk

Here are two videos of the emulator in action:

[/size]
[/size]

Have fun.

Norbert

ASiC

This is amazing!!

I personally prefer the hi res version, even if it has less colours  :)

Puresox

you star! one of my favourite games . looking forward to this
a bit of tweaking and it will be superb!

roudoudou

great conversion!
i prefer the hires version too
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

TotO

Congratulation for this great emulator!  8)
I definitively love the MODE 1 version with the colour change for each stage.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

arnoldemu

Nice.

I prefer the mode 1 version because it's closer to the resolution of the arcade.

Extra kudos to you for making a mode 1 and mode 0 version  :)

I see you also did a conversion of sprint for the c64. Nice!
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

||C|-|E||

It looks really nice! And being a fan of Megaphoenix in the CPC I am particularly happy to have this  :D Regarding the two modes, I think that it would be a great idea to be able to choose among them in the final release too. Mode 1 looks definitely closer to the arcade, but the extra colors can be nice as well, depending on your mood  :)

P.D: you could try a Plus version too!  :laugh:

VincentGR

This is amazing!
Thank you very much for this.

Maybe one day you'll port scramble too  ;D

Puresox

im so impressed at how well it runs
are the music pieces a no go?
--when doing the two versions , does the programme vary drasticly ?

-- I think this demonstrates how capable the machine is in an area where it has lacked good shooters.

norbert_kehrer

Hi,

thanks for the nice feedback, so far.

The music pieces at the beginning are certainly doable. I will try to add them to the next version.

The program itself is almost the same for both versions. Only the code for setting up the color palette is different, and the graphics data.

Norbert

Quote from: Puresox on 20:49, 01 December 16
im so impressed at how well it runs
are the music pieces a no go?
--when doing the two versions , does the programme vary drasticly ?

-- I think this demonstrates how capable the machine is in an area where it has lacked good shooters.

Phantomz

Thanks for this  8)  Love these emulator / arcade ports.  ;D

Token

Thank you, what a great game! I knew the arcade since very few time, and now an unexpected CPC version  :) But I played a lot the game on the VCS, my favorite game on this system... Also nice you made 2 versions of it.
:-* :-* :-*

SRS

I like the Mode 1 version best. Nice work !

Edit: @norbert_kehrer

can you do a z80 to javascript (or even better C :)) from your 6502 conversion tool ?

This could help WINcpctelera and maybe other projects, too.

DARKGATE

:) Hi at alls, was too much wich i don't write here, i see many news, this phoenix emu is FANTASTIC!!!
Hope of see on next near future an emu of PLEIADS, this year is good for AMSTRAD scene.
Do not underestimate the power of AMSTRAD CPC.

pinace

Awesome work. Congratulations [emoji2]

Gryzor

Great effort, congrats... providing two versions is the icing on the cake :)

Phantomz

I've made a simple menu to select between the two modes.

I've made two cpr's,

" Phoenix Emulator.cpr " is the same as the original, push down on joystick / joypd for shields.
" Phoenix Emulator GX4000.cpr " uses Joypad Buttton 2 for Shields.

GUNHED

Nice talk at the XzentriX 2023 meeting about this great project. Thanks!  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)