News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Renegade Imagine Software - controls

Started by cpc4eva, 20:38, 10 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

cpc4eva

Has there ever been a mod to the 1st Renegade game by Imagine so it will allow you to play the game with a joystick instead of keys only or keys and joystick together ?

Surely it must be possible to redefine the code put in some POKES so joystick only play is available......

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

i don't why the coders made the controls they way they did when they released it back in the day a fantastic game marred by the using keys or keys and stick crazy stuff  :picard:

TotO

Renegade require 3 fire buttons... CPC does but controllers don't.  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Phantomz

Quote from: cpc4eva on 20:38, 10 April 16
Has there ever been a mod to the 1st Renegade game by Imagine so it will allow you to play the game with a joystick instead of keys only or keys and joystick together ?

Surely it must be possible to redefine the code put in some POKES so joystick only play is available......

i don't why the coders made the controls they way they did when they released it back in the day a fantastic game marred by the using keys or keys and stick crazy stuff  :picard:

I just had a mess about with the game, I've made it use one joypad the best I can, can only work with what's available  ;)

I've just uploaded a cpr with these controls, on that I've changed ESC to select music or fx and to pause etc to the P key, because needed to do so for the GX4000.

I've only changed the attack buttons on the following disk.

I've remapped the left cursor to Joypad 1 Button 1 and the right cursor to Joypad 1 Button 2, I've remapped the down cursor to Joypad 1 Up.

You can still move around with the Joypad, but if you push up, you will jump before you move, whenever I try and move I normally move down first to sort of get safe then push up,
or you could try holding down button 1 before you push to move up.

Anyway it's here if you and other want to give it a try.  :D

Phantomz

I've done a second disk, I believe this disk loads quicker than the one above.  8)

Just grab them both if you want them.  ;)

It would be cool if a three button adaptor becomes available in the future.  :D

TotO

Quote from: Phantomz on 18:58, 11 April 16You can still move around with the Joypad, but if you push up, you will jump before you move, whenever I try and move I normally move down first to sort of get safe then push up, or you could try holding down button 1 before you push to move up.
It starts from a good intention, but the result is changing the gameplay by making it unplayable.  ;D

Two ways to process:
1- Support the 3 CPC fire buttons to use with an hacked controller. (i.e. arcade stick or megadrive gamepad)
2- Support 2 fire buttons and rethink the gameplay, like most Gameboy games does. (standard controllers and PLUS compatible)

A = front punch
B = back kick
A+B = Jump
A+B+LEFT = Left Jump kick
A+B+RIGHT = Right Jump kick

If possible, I find the second choice more interresting to acheive.  8)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Phantomz

Quote from: TotO on 09:12, 12 April 16
It starts from a good intention, but the result is changing the gameplay by making it unplayable.  ;D

Two ways to process:
1- Support the 3 CPC fire buttons to use with an hacked controller. (i.e. arcade stick or megadrive gamepad)
2- Support 2 fire buttons and rethink the gameplay, like most Gameboy games does. (standard controllers and PLUS compatible)

A = front punch
B = back kick
A+B = Jump
A+B+LEFT = Left Jump kick
A+B+RIGHT = Right Jump kick

If possible, I find the second choice more interresting to acheive.  8)

I know it's not great and doesn't work to well but it's the best you're going to get with a two button game pad.  :'(

I think you're first choice is the only real option, I can't see how option two could be made to work due to how the keys work in the game.

I think if anything could have been done @dragon would have done so with his first release.

The game uses the following for the attacks.

03BD = 01-> is used to form the address HL = 0041 (where reading the keyboard is stored) .This compares (and) with the content 03BE = 01 Left Arrow.
03BF = 00-> is used to form the address HL = 0040 (where reading the keyboard is stored) .This compares (and) with the content 03C0 = 02 Right Arrow.
03C1 = 00-> is used to form the address HL = 0040 (where reading the keyboard is stored) .This compares (and) with the content 03C2 = 04 Down Arrow.

If the game used the CD 1E BB call method then I think it might have been possible or easier, I'm not a programmer, but I don't think it can be done how it is, would love to be proved wrong.  ;D

With the CD 1E BB method you could call the keys to a new address (if free space available ) and add the new key combination there, is this possible to do with how the game calls the controls?

A = front punch = fine
B = back kick = fine
A+B = Jump = won't work as need a attack key plus jump for direction, if you press both, which way would you attack!
A+B+LEFT = Left Jump kick = a direction and a attack button might work?
A+B+RIGHT = Right Jump kick = a direction and a attack button might work?

I was just messing about, I wanted to try and play the game with one joypad, the up can be changed from 09 01 to 09 30 ( B ) in a second so need that 3rd button support.  ;D

I think we might need to do some megadrive hack or something, even if you use both joystick ports and use the extra controller buttons on pad 1 for 1 player games.

TotO

Thank you for your shap answer. Sadly, hacking the hardware is an easy way but always a bad option.
May be someone else should take a look about the 2 buttons patch...  ;D

Phantomz

Quote from: TotO on 16:28, 12 April 16
Thank you for your shap answer. Sadly, hacking the hardware is an easy way but always a bad option.
May be someone else should take a look about the 2 buttons patch...  ;D

I agree  :D

I could remap the jump attack to the space bar or console pause button on the gx4000 and put the computer or console on the floor and use a foot  :laugh:

It would be like the reload pedal with some guns you got on the playstation  ;D

Phantomz

Here is a version that uses 2 Joysticks, you might want to use this version if you've got a couple of good joysticks with suction cups.  :)

You might even want to make some sort of joystick controller that uses both joystick ports.   ;)

I've only mapped the attack keys to joystick 2, so left and right is attack, down with left or right to jump attack.

I've included a poked version with infinite lives and time.

I've also included hfe versions of both the normal fixed disk and the poked disk.

I hope it helps some people play the game.  ;D

Puresox

Ohh can you do this too Forgotten Worlds controls or Xybots in someway?

Phantomz

Quote from: Puresox on 17:52, 16 April 16
Ohh can you do this too Forgotten Worlds controls or Xybots in someway?

I don't think I can personally do it as I believe those game would need the control system fully changing.  ???

For " Renegade " I've just remapped the controls from the cursor keys to joystick 2, no changes to the control system required!

Maybe someone else might be able to do something with them.  ::)

Puresox

Oh well my hopes are dashed on the rocks.

Phantomz

Quote from: Puresox on 10:46, 17 April 16
Oh well my hopes are dashed on the rocks.

Sorry  :(

Like I said, maybe someone else might be able to do something.  :)

Puresox

Controls, is that a very intricate thing to do , or I suppose it depends on Access to source

ivarf

Quote from: cpc4eva on 20:38, 10 April 16

still a fantastic game! Which version is it again that controls differently and the fanboys uses that to say that their version is best because of it? Spectrum?

Phantomz

I've had another look at " RENEGADE "

Why did this game have to have odd controls.  :doh:

I've done a Joypad version, it's not perfect, but I don't think it's to bad.

I prefer this new version myself , some of you might too.   ;D

Pass the title and instruction screen by pressing space or fire button 1.

Movement
Hold down Joypad Button 2 to move with the Dpad, you can still move up and down with or without button 2 held down.

Attack
Use left and right without button 2 held down to attack left and right.

Hold down button 1 with left or right to do a flying kick in that direction.

I hope you like this new control system, I think it's the best that I can do.

I've included a few poked versions.

Invulnarable  ( Except to a grip from behind, to the balls from big bertha, or a pistol shot )

Enjoy  8)

ukmarkh

The whole idea of the original controls is that they mimicked the arcade perfectly. With the right joystick, the keyboard and key combination works a treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skunkfish

Will check this out, but would it not make more sense for L+R without button 2 to move left & right and with button 2 to attack left & right?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Phantomz

Quote from: Skunkfish on 11:54, 27 February 17
Will check this out, but would it not make more sense for L+R without button 2 to move left & right and with button 2 to attack left & right?

Yes it would, I would have liked to have changed the game so you move without any button/s held down to move, then attack left, right and up left, and up right for jump attacks with a button held down.

However I can't find a way to do this, it might not even be possible, don't forget even @dragon who knows more about the Amstrad than I also looked at the game.

I'm sure it would have been possible when the game was programmed, but we are trying to change the controls on a completed game.  ::)

jackic

Hi there,

I have been reading the thread and I find very interesting being able to change the controls on games that do not allow it's controls to be redefined. I have recently purchased a Nes Classic Mini and it has been hacked to allow, among other things, the retroarch emulator to be run on the mini console.

Someone ported a Caprice32 core to the system so you can run most Amstrad CPC software on the machine, I tried using Renegade on the system but, as it is, it is unusable, the Caprice core doesn't allow keys to be redefined and only has a few presets, also, the game doesn't allow you to change controls in any way. I'd love for this game to be functional on the system but, for doing so, I would have to "hack" the game to change it's default controls in this way:

left cursor should be changed to Y, down cursor should be 1 and left cursor should be RETURN.

I really have no skills or knowledge to do so, would anybody help me with the task?

Thanks a lot.