Author Topic: USIfAC ii Direct Load games  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Devlin

• CPC6128
    • Magicbane
    • Awards
Re: USIfAC ii Direct Load games
« Reply #25 on: 18:25, 12 August 21 »
So i've just had a discovery: The games extracted for the M4-wifi will likely work too - so if there's a repo out there of games that work on the m4 when extracted from their DSKs I might have to find some volunteers to help me trawl that list

(it means we have a version of gryzor that works without dsk on usifac2 and on 464 :D)
No reactions
Amstrad fan! | CPC464 + USIfAC II | Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Offline ikonsgr

• 6128 Plus
    • ikonsgr 80's Home Micros WorkBench
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: 12:41, 13 August 21 »
I note this in the original list initial post, that most games will probably work for M4 board too.  :)
No reactions

Offline ikonsgr

• 6128 Plus
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: 20:26, 03 October 21 »
Devlin ,you can also add these 2 games, tested on CPC 464:
Golden Axe
Renegade

No reactions

Offline Devlin

• CPC6128
    • Magicbane
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: 16:21, 20 October 21 »
Devlin ,you can also add these 2 games, tested on CPC 464:
Golden Axe
Renegade

Golden Axe fails as soon as I select the characters to play (assuming it fails trying to load levels)
Renegade works fine but has utterly nob controls. I don't know if it came that way, though.
Both are loaded using FM
No reactions
Amstrad fan! | CPC464 + USIfAC II | Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Offline Mark_wllms

• CPC464
  • CPC6128 and USIFAC II owner.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: 19:08, 20 October 21 »
I note this in the original list initial post, that most games will probably work for M4 board too.  :)

And vice versa. I suspect most of the 1300 games in https://www.spinpoint.org/M4backup.zip  will work.
No reactions

Offline Devlin

• CPC6128
    • Magicbane
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: 17:36, 21 October 21 »
And vice versa. I suspect most of the 1300 games in https://www.spinpoint.org/M4backup.zip  will work.

From a quick scan, around 99% (exactly 16 are "direct-load") of those 1300 games are DSK images, (so yes they'll more than likely work, but that's not the particular focus of this thread)

the others, however i shall give a go and see what works when I next have significant free time.
No reactions

Offline Mark_wllms

• CPC464
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: 17:53, 21 October 21 »
So sorry, I looked at the Multi-disc games in the Zip and assumed that all the other games were also files in folders - I didn't realise they were all DSK images.
No reactions

Offline ikonsgr

• 6128 Plus
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: 23:26, 27 October 21 »

Golden Axe fails as soon as I select the characters to play (assuming it fails trying to load levels)
Renegade works fine but has utterly nob controls. I don't know if it came that way, though.
Both are loaded using FM

Well, with my Schneider CPC464 golden axe worked fine. Did you try to load it without using filemanager? (although i also used fm for loading...)
No reactions

Offline ikonsgr

• 6128 Plus
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: 23:29, 27 October 21 »
So sorry, I looked at the Multi-disc games in the Zip and assumed that all the other games were also files in folders - I didn't realise they were all DSK images.
Be patient, soon i will have ready a ram expansiom/rom board that will work with USIfAC II, where you will be able to load a real amsdos/parados rom to a cpc464 and use dsk images as easy as with cpc6128 (e.g. with simple |FDC command and in "full speed" without amsdos emulation)  ;)
Members reacted like:
Vokgear,

Offline Mark_wllms

• CPC464
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: 13:57, 28 October 21 »
Be patient, soon i will have ready a ram expansiom/rom board that will work with USIfAC II, where you will be able to load a real amsdos/parados rom to a cpc464 and use dsk images as easy as with cpc6128
Sounds fantastic. Actually, I have a 6128, and the FDC emulation is notably faster than the real disk drive. I am playing CPM Infocom games at the moment, which access the disk constantly.
I am sure it is slower in 464 or Parados mode, but I rarely use the high capacity disks.
« Last Edit: 14:00, 28 October 21 by Mark_wllms »
No reactions

Offline ikonsgr

• 6128 Plus
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: 19:30, 28 October 21 »
I am sure it is slower in 464 or Parados mode, but I rarely use the high capacity disks.
It is slower indeed, because with CPC 464, you need to emulate both 765 Floppy controller and Amsdos/parados Rom at the same time!
On a cpc 6128 only 765 FDC is emulated (unless you want to access parados dsk image),thus access speed is quite faster (usually faster  than a real disk drive as you already noted).
But using a rom board you can have a proper ROM loaded without emulation e.g. no speed penalty with all Amstrad models and dsk images!  ;)
« Last Edit: 19:32, 28 October 21 by ikonsgr »
No reactions