News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Vespertino

Started by swansea_karl, 00:55, 29 January 22

Previous topic - Next topic

robcfg

Heh, I like the word play, but Batman Group does not joke with their work  ;)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: robcfg on 19:57, 01 June 22Heh, I like the word play, but Batman Group does not joke with their work  ;)
Ah I know, but after 3 years of inactivity, the jokes write themselves so it'll all depend on who has a sense of humour and who doesn't!  ;) :D
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

keith56

There's not really any incentive for them to do any info releases at this time - the only reason to do so is to raise the profile of the project, and seeing as people are already eagerly (desperately?) waiting for it that job is already done...

On the other hand a released screenshot that is poorly received will kill the current interest. (because it doesn't look as good as originally implied / doesn't show enough progress etc)... I have a hunch that the reason the video showing in game gameplay was so short was because those few seconds were the entire recording before something glitched out

That aside, and I cannot comment on the CRTC technical wizardry being used by the original demo, The harder your push the technical limits, the more problems you have crop up, and the harder they are to solve - and of course at some point 'solving them' becomes simply impossible, either because the memory/cpu or graphics physically do not allow it - or your time/ability run out before you get it working.

I don't envy the Batman Group for taking on a project like that, from what little I understand of how it works technically it looks like a nightmare, and something I couldn't get working stably in a lifetime.
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

BSC

Quote from: TotO on 16:24, 01 June 22nobody has to justify about what they do on the spare time
And nobody asked about justification, no? I think it's perfectly fine to bemoan when there has been no news about some project that is highly anticipated by a lot of people. And this regret does not need no validation of others.
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

BSC

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:58, 01 June 22Quite right. I mean, "ahhh too bad", but "thanks anyhow, I'll gladly wait for it".
Are these quotes from the "How to handle stuff they do it their spare time" 101 and can I have a link, please? It seems there is a right way to react to news given fully voluntarily regarding projects that were publicly announced fully voluntarily, so I would really love to learn how to do it the right way, because I would not want to be pushing them so hard that they'll lose all motivation to continue working, which seems to be a lingering danger.  
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

rexbeng

Well, I'd say this is an effect of the over-exposure some developers are choosing to get into. I couldnt say if this is always because some people are so eager to share their enthusiasm or they are just seeking attention, but nonetheless going so open with projects so early in their development process creates expectations and critique.

And since the world is 'unfortunately' also inhabited by people who have the capacity to first understand and then assess what you do, they 'might' not be overly-enthusiastic. Perhaps even more so in cases where the material used to create enthusiasm is videos containing a few seconds of actual CPC screen footage and the bigger chunk is stock post-production video effects, visuals and sounds that have nothing to do with the CPC.

Unfortunately, critique (even if justified/constructive) is rarely received well by people; and then there's all the talk of 'ruining motivations' which I personally find funny. I mean, if you only seek to be praised for something you do, don't go showing it off to the world; share it only with your mum. Or just be casual, ignore what you don't like and stick to places and with people that don't rock your boat (we've seen that too).

What I am saying here is not aimed at Batman Group or their racing-game project specifically, but it is a general opinion I have for the current 'social-media-ish' approach in CPC game development. Which I am sharing. :P

MaV

I don't know what you want to tell us, @rexbeng.

If I'd desperately sought praise from my mum, I'd be a multi-millionaire by now and had 10-15 children. My wife would be hand-picked by her, and she'd have been under scrutiny for at least one year, before she'd been given green light for marriage.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

rexbeng

Quote from: MaV on 11:04, 02 June 22I don't know what you want to tell us, @rexbeng.

If I'd desperately sought praise from my mum, I'd be a multi-millionaire by now and had 10-15 children. My wife would be hand-picked by her, and she'd have been under scrutiny for at least one year, before she'd been given green light for marriage.
:o  And all that with Austria being neutral? OMG imagine things being otherwise!

MaV

Η μητέρα μου είναι από τα Βαλκάνια, φίλε. :P But not Greek.

Gryzor

Hahaha by now I've lost the plot :D

rexbeng

Quote from: MaV on 11:25, 02 June 22Η μητέρα μου είναι από τα Βαλκάνια, φίλε. :P But not Greek.

So things ARE otherwise! :laugh:

MaV

@Gryzor: Well, to sum the thread up, one thing is for certain ... Rhino will never post in the "I feel safe here" thread.

rexbeng

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:26, 02 June 22Hahaha by now I've lost the plot :D
Well, if I were to come to a conclusion: "in the case you are a CPC games developer from Southern Europe (Mav specifically mentioned the Balkans but from experience I say things are pretty much the same around the tub) it's better to keep development info to yourself because you cant handle the whole spectrum of public opinions". :P ;D

Axel

All we can do is sit and wait.

roudoudou

Quote from: Axel on 14:15, 17 June 22All we can do is sit and wait.
drink something and play another CPC game
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Gryzor

Lots to choose from! Now I've got an urge for some Wec!

gurneyh

Gryzor

Axel

Wec Le Mans is a great one. And the titelmusic is just gorgeous.  :-*

Axel

Not to forget CHASE HQ, which is excellent on the Amstrad.

GUNHED

Or Crazy Cars! 
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Gryzor

A bit out of topic, but had anyone played the Dreamcast Le Mans 24 hours? Loved that one... 

Axel

Quote from: GUNHED on 15:32, 19 June 22Or Crazy Cars!
Crazy Cars 2 is better. Back in the days I found the digitized titelmusic amazing as hell! The CPC can do "real music". Wow!

Or Buggy Boy! Such a jolly game.

Gryzor

Oh I thought I was the only one who liked Buggy Boy, nobody talks about it anymore! 

Devlin

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:11, 20 June 22Oh I thought I was the only one who liked Buggy Boy, nobody talks about it anymore!
You are not alone, friend. I love Buggy Boy :)
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv