News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Vespertino

Started by swansea_karl, 00:55, 29 January 22

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

As a cyclist 'Carmageddon' gave me immense pleasure in the late nineties.

From Wikipedia:
"Gameplay

In Carmageddon, the player races a vehicle against a number of other computer controlled competitors in various settings, including city, mine and industrial areas. The player has a certain amount of time to complete each race, but more time may be gained by collecting bonuses, damaging the competitors' cars, or by running over pedestrians. Unusually for a racing game, checkpoints do not extend the time limit.

Races are completed by either completing the course as one would a normal racing game, "wasting" (wrecking) all other race cars, or killing all pedestrians on the level."

Gryzor

I remember playing Carmageddon, probably on my Cyrix 6x86. Though fun, I remember being a bit confused by the gameplay (if that's possible, dunno)... 

ComSoft6128

He He,  I didn't play to win I played to inflict the maximum amount of casualties :o (sometimes the same thing).

Gryzor

It was quite chaotic from the start, wasn't it? 

ComSoft6128

Funny I can't actually remember the start but it was certainly motorized mayhem very quickly.

Gryzor

Yes, we're talking about the same thing😂

sigh

Burnout 3 was an absolutely fantastic game. The slow-mo crashes, the soundtrack and the intense racing was really well designed.

Also had some good times with Motorstorm 2(Pacific Rift).

Gryzor

Ridge Racer on the PSP. Damned Pacman... 

DanyPPC

But we are here to talk about 8 bit games  ;)

Anyway from the video Vespertino seems to have taken inspiration from Lotus on Amiga.
So if you've never done this you should play Lotus on the Amiga.
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

Gryzor

The ST version was quite good, too.

As for what we are talking about... Since there's no news we're just passing time 🙂 

I'll probably clean the thread up once there's something to get us back on track. 

TotO

Quote from: DanyPPC on 06:48, 21 June 22Anyway from the video Vespertino seems to have taken inspiration from Lotus on Amiga. So if you've never done this you should play Lotus on the Amiga.
The menu and in-game interface is more inspirated by OutRun 2.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Optimus

Well, I can wait. You know how projects and motivation or busy life are. I am more vapour, still working on that Wolfenstein and RPG game I promised (well, I didn't :)

Axel

Quote from: Devlin on 20.6.2022, 17:15:08: You are not alone, friend. I love Buggy Boy

Buggy Boy was great. And for me it was the first racing game with tunnels to drive through.  :o

Axel

Quote from: DanyPPC on 06:48, 21 June 22But we are here to talk about 8 bit games  ;)

Anyway from the video Vespertino seems to have taken inspiration from Lotus on Amiga.
So if you've never done this you should play Lotus on the Amiga.
Okay, but to see, hear and play such an high quality racing game on the good old Amstrad would be a very special trip.
I still hope for it.

Gryzor

We all do. 

DanyPPC

Quote from: Axel on 11:37, 22 June 22Okay, but to see, hear and play such an high quality racing game on the good old Amstrad would be a very special trip.
I still hope for it.
I think Batman Group will release Vespertino when it will be ready, they have been a reliable group ever since they released the first demo of Pinball Dreams. So when they will have something concrete they will show it to the Amstrad scene.

Talking about the game I will think that it will need an M4 board or it will be released as a CPR file because it will need a lot of pre-calculated graphics that you can access quickly, and only a cartridge format can guarantee it.
It's my opinion, Amstrad CPC doesn't have the ability to process that graphics in real time, it's only an 8bit computer.
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

VincentGR

When we first saw Batman demo on youtube, many said that it was a scam.
Well, as an Amigan I knew who Rhino was, my fav demo of all time is Batman Vuelve.
The same happened with PDreams and here it is.
We will wait, the game will appear someday.

Quote from: Axel on 11:27, 22 June 22I love Buggy Boy
and Live and let die!!!

Gryzor

Oh yes that was an excellent demo, though I think the Amstrad one was more impressive technically.

https://youtu.be/D3COba64xL4

Haha Love and Let Die, also enjoyed that a lot!! 

Axel

Quote from: DanyPPC on 16:52, 22 June 22It's my opinion, Amstrad CPC doesn't have the ability to process that graphics in real time, it's only an 8bit computer.
Are you talking about the ingame-graphics or the car-animations in the menu?

DanyPPC

Both, but for ingame graphics I'm refering to the group of redefined tiles (characters) that representing the flow of the road.
I think these have to stay in memory to have a sustained framerate, so a cartridge is needed.

But it's only my opinion.

GUNHED

We're all free to have opinions. But lots of demos and games prove you wrong. It depends only on coding skills.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

gurneyh

Quote from: DanyPPC on 16:43, 24 June 22Both, but for ingame graphics I'm refering to the group of redefined tiles (characters) that representing the flow of the road.
I think these have to stay in memory to have a sustained framerate, so a cartridge is needed.
But it's only my opinion.
For the intro, you are probably right, it is of course precalculation. Roudoudou imitated it very well in a stream.
For the game itself, even the technique used is not yet well defined. OK, we use scanlines, but nobody knows how to do that at the moment. except Batman group :)

Axel

Batman Group told us 2019, we will see a slimmed down version for the CPC without catridge. And I am pretty sure, "slimmed down" refers mainly to the menu-graphics.

Madcommodore

Quote from: VincentGR on 18:58, 22 June 22When we first saw Batman demo on youtube, many said that it was a scam.
Well, as an Amigan I knew who Rhino was, my fav demo of all time is Batman Vuelve.
The same happened with PDreams and here it is.
We will wait, the game will appear someday.

Quote from: Axel on 11:27, 22 June 22I love Buggy Boy
and Live and let die!!!

I don't think it's a scam, the preview is probably from a CPC plus spec for a start and if you look at how Chase HQ draws in checked/dithered simulated raster bars for the stripes on the road drawing routine there is quite a lot of wasted CPU time in Chase HQ that could have been used to run the game engine faster. As it is the roadside objects and framerate for a stock 464 is very impressive. 

Would be nice if somebody altered Chase HQ game engine and used actual rasters if possible for stock CPC, assuming that's possible to do. I'm sure the Batman Group could sort that out in next to no time if they wanted to but I guess copyright issues (Taito and Ocean) would be discouraging for anybody given all the hoo-hah Super Mario C64 got.

The only 8bit homebrew projects that would ever interest me personally are improvements to Rescue on Fractalus (or true conversion to Amiga not that slap-dash bonus in Masterblazer on ST/Amiga) or 2.5D racing games that make your jaw drop on CPC464, C64 (nothing going on there) or Atari 800 (nothing going on there). 

So pretty much the only thing I care about in the entire 8bit homebrew scene is this game....if it even runs on my 464 via a tape image when it surfaces. Can't afford to get anymore stuff, I am retired and I own almost everything that ever outputted a PAL video signal (and an NTSC PC-Engine....it's the law for arcade game lovers!!)

Nworc

Quote from: MadcommodoreThe only 8bit homebrew projects that would ever interest me personally are improvements to Rescue on Fractalus (or true conversion to Amiga not that slap-dash bonus in Masterblazer on ST/Amiga) or 2.5D racing games that make your jaw drop on CPC464, C64 (nothing going on there) or Atari 800 (nothing going on there).

So pretty much the only thing I care about in the entire 8bit homebrew scene is this game....if it even runs on my 464 via a tape image when it surfaces. Can't afford to get anymore stuff, I am retired and I own almost everything that ever outputted a PAL video signal (and an NTSC PC-Engine....it's the law for arcade game lovers!!)

Rescue on Fractalus sits on my shelf and is AFAIR very well done, besides of the technical work I like the sense of humor in this game.
What is it, that you find could be improved?

PS: Sorry for being off-topic