News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Vespertino

Started by swansea_karl, 00:55, 29 January 22

Previous topic - Next topic

zhulien

Actually the 8 bit's of the computer isn't what makes it slow-ish.  It's a combination of factors - you can get very fast 8 bit CPUs, just they came out a lot later than the CPC - if the CPC was a dominant platform (as is the case in my fantasy), then the Z80 and derivative CPUs may have been in later CPC models instead of Intel CPUs in Windows PCs.  I could imagine a 16Mhz Z80 version, then eventually a 50Mhz eZ80, then 150Mhz eZ80 etc.  There are architectural challenges here then there are those wierdo's who think it's ok to progress other platforms by adding faster CPUs etc, but not the CPC - they want to stay back in 1984 even though a modern expansion with faster bits, can still have the charm of a CPC and backward compatability.  Now imagine a CP Link on a JustCPC4 atx - yes, this is now possible - but imagine Symbos running on the CPLink - perhaps on a connected Argon Light (which we should be able to do right now from a Hardware point of view), Symbos could support HD graphics over HDMI just as a start - if Prodatron were able to make Symbos run on the eZ80 that is... (@Prodatron hint ;)  )  Imagine typing GoCPC or clicking an icon on Symbos which switches over to the slower Z80 bit to play standard CPC games that don't know about the eZ80... and (which is not currently there) automatically passes through the current RGB signal somewhere.

Almost all possible now with current hardware.  Just the software isn't there yet.  Also it could be possible to not use an Agon Light, but a Raspberry Pi which the CP Link already works with - and perhaps run Linux to compile to Z80... now, it even could be possible to modify CP Link to have a 2nd one so you could have both a Raspberry Pi and eZ80, but who knows if anyone wants that than just me - I did talk to someone here about the possiblity of making an 8 x CP Link card - which in theory should be also possible, make a really cool super CPC cluster.

dthrone

Quote from: Anthony Flack on 22:17, 17 March 23I'm really curious to see how it looks when moving and scaling opponent cars on the road. This is the where other CPC racers tend to get a little janky. I'd love to see if it can be done better. 
They make a big deal in the trailer of it being 25fps so I reckon there won't be any circumstances when they let that drop.  The road looks to scroll at 12 scanlines / 2 frames which I thought would looky jumpy but it actually looks super smooth!

ukmarkh

I'm hoping that I'll be able to select a Ferrari Testarossa and an F40 ;-) 

zhulien

It would be cool if they allowed for loading of additional or replacement cars.

Prodatron

Quote from: zhulien on 17:44, 23 March 23but imagine Symbos running on the [...] Raspberry Pi
Did you have a spy on our CPC meeting last weekend? :D We made some progress [sorry for beeing Off-Topic]

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

zhulien

Quote from: Prodatron on 08:55, 24 March 23
Quote from: zhulien on 17:44, 23 March 23but imagine Symbos running on the [...] Raspberry Pi
Did you have a spy on our CPC meeting last weekend? :D We made some progress [sorry for beeing Off-Topic]
Lol, no

BSC

That does not sound very believable, though .. 
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Gryzor

Pretty atmospheric. 

FruityFrank

ZbyniuR

I wonder if it will have a two-player mode?
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

Anthony Flack

Split-screen multiplayer I think would be unrealistic to hope for (half the framerate?), but via system link could be fun.

eto

Quote from: Anthony Flack on 04:59, 24 April 23Split-screen multiplayer I think would be unrealistic to hope for (half the framerate?), but via system link could be fun.
or via the internet? I guess that could be possible using something like the M4 or USIFAC.

kawickboy

A link mode up to 4 players should create THE new retro-meeting masterpiece. Actually in France the classic multiplayer game is Medieval Mayhem on Atari 7800 in 4 players mode.

Carnivius

A link mode of 4 CPC's?  Yeah, don't think I'd ever get to use that.  Or 2.  :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

XeNoMoRPH

Gryzor

This is lovely! 

FruityFrank

XeNoMoRPH

FruityFrank

sooo stoked seeing progress. Will it be ready for xmas? :)

Gryzor

Really nicely made assets there! 

eto

Time to buy as many CPCs as possible as the price will go through the roof, once this is released. 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/235212808858

Prodatron

I wonder how much memory it takes to store all of them in different sizes for realtime scaling.
I guess they won't be scaled on the fly?

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

roudoudou

Quote from: Prodatron on 22:00, 21 September 23I wonder how much memory it takes to store all of them in different sizes for realtime scaling.
I guess they won't be scaled on the fly?

maybe 2 ROM banks, piece of cake :P
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Dubliner

Quote from: FruityFrank on 09:01, 21 September 23sooo stoked seeing progress. Will it be ready for xmas? :)
There´s actually a possible hint hidden in those graphics. Posadas refers to Posadas Party, a well known spanish demoescene party. So MAYBE Posadas 2024 means that they will introduce the game at next year´s edition.