News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Wasn't sure where to put this but...

Started by Shaun M. Neary, 06:08, 26 January 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun M. Neary

Was nonsing around on the web, and came across this!

Google Discussiegroepen

It's an old CPC games discussion thread from... wait for it, 1998! almost 15 years ago!
I know Kev and Dave are here, dunno if anyone else from the thread are here though.

Anyway, some nostalgia and some interesting reading :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

No surprise, that's csa8 - comp.sys.amstrad.8bit from the newsgroups. Used to follow that back in the day... Wonder if there's any post from me in there :)

[EDIT] must browse... maybe we can find some interesting threads!!!
[EDIT2] Hah! Bryce is sharing pr0n in there - still!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:00, 26 January 13
No surprise, that's csa8 - comp.sys.amstrad.8bit from the newsgroups. Used to follow that back in the day... Wonder if there's any post from me in there :)

[EDIT] must browse... maybe we can find some interesting threads!!!
[EDIT2] Hah! Bryce is sharing pr0n in there - still!

Yeah, used to post a lot in there from 95-98. Started using my ex's college account long before i had internet.
Worked well until the geeks there thought I was actually a woman! :(

I must have given them such false hope.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ivarf

Found my name in the second post in your link... :)

On another note, what happend to RIcklmr13? Did anyone ever find out who he was?

It was great having people like Cliff Lawson, Locomotive Software and other posting. I dont remember if MEJ posted back then

MacDeath

C128 can emulate CPC games? WTF ?

Bryce

I used to post there too, but my account got hacked at some stage and now just spews spam.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Ah, yeah, "hacked" *wink* ;)

What about RIcklmr13, who was it?

It's funny , I've been browsing that group (anyone remembers what the system that carried those newsgroups was called before Google gulped them up?), and it's a bit surreal that there's a small, parallel scene on there. Why? How come?

Nich

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:39, 28 January 13
What about RIcklmr13, who was it?
RCKCLMR13 was an American troll who frequented comp.sys.amstrad.8bit in the late 1990s and delighted in posting rude messages denouncing the Amstrad CPC.

QuoteIt's funny , I've been browsing that group (anyone remembers what the system that carried those newsgroups was called before Google gulped them up?), and it's a bit surreal that there's a small, parallel scene on there. Why? How come?
DejaNews was the predecessor to Google Groups.

I also find it surreal that csa8 is still active. I stopped using Usenet years ago when that German Usenet server news.cis.dfn.de stopped providing free access. I'm surprised that Usenet (or at least, the text-only groups) is still being used at all now that everyone seems to use discussion forums!

This discussion is really taking me back down memory lane... :)

Shaun M. Neary

Ah csa8. :)

Without which i'd never have gotten in touch with Kev, Dave, Paul Gargan, Malcolm Dowse to name a few.

Actually Kev, i think you're the only one out of the list of people i know from it who i haven't actually met in person! :P

Gryzor

Yup! DejaNews indeed! 

Who knows, maybe someone could tell them there are fora out there? :D

I used to follow csa8 on a daily basis; I guess, until the Zone came about (when was that?). Then I guess I gradually stopped seeing any point in it...

arnoldemu

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 05:29, 29 January 13
Actually Kev, i think you're the only one out of the list of people i know from it who i haven't actually met in person! :P
You're not missing much  :laugh:
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Shaun M. Neary