News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

what are people playing on their cpc's this week ?

Started by cpc4eva, 08:41, 05 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun M. Neary

Finally back home after a week away and discovering that the thumb stick on a PSP really is not good for playing Amstrad games at all!

Just finished Treasure Island Dizzy again, in the spirit of Easter.
After watching Xyphoes stream last night, Kwik Snax is next!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

tjohnson

This week I've been having a GX4000 fest, been playing Pang, Navy Seals, Fire and Forget II, Crazy Cars II, Copter 271, Pinball Magic and a bit more Batman.  Copter 271 could be better and suffers horrendous slowdown, maybe some better coding could have made it so much better, Fire and Forget and Crazy Cars are ok but definitely lacking any real enhancement and even the graduated sky flickers on crazy cars.  I thought pinball magic was quite good.  Pang is good fun and makes good use of the enhanced capabilities and my kids were playing it, Navy Seals was a demonstrator but bang hard!

Shaun M. Neary

I utterly tanked on Kwik Snax, so I put it away for a bit.

I spent a good chunk of the bank holiday playing Leaderboard and Leaderboard Tournament. On novice level as I can't be bothered trying to get the joystick timing for hook and slice just yet. After playing Leaderboard Tournament, I can't really go back to Leaderboard. The faster course drawing speeds being a good part, but equally important, the putting gauge was slowed down for a more realistic response in Tournament, it's next to near impossible to putt in the original.

Busy few days ahead, but I'm sure I'll be attacking my 464 in the next few days with another update.  ;)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ukmarkh

Football Manager 2 for me [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: tjohnson on 22:23, 03 April 18
This week I've been having a GX4000 fest, been playing Pang, Navy Seals, Fire and Forget II, Crazy Cars II, Copter 271, Pinball Magic and a bit more Batman.  Copter 271 could be better and suffers horrendous slowdown, maybe some better coding could have made it so much better, Fire and Forget and Crazy Cars are ok but definitely lacking any real enhancement and even the graduated sky flickers on crazy cars.  I thought pinball magic was quite good.  Pang is good fun and makes good use of the enhanced capabilities and my kids were playing it, Navy Seals was a demonstrator but bang hard!

Out of that entire list for the GX4000, Pang was the only one I found enjoyable. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but the GX needed to come out a year earlier. I think it would have seen more success and Amstrad may have capitalised on that to aim to fit in with the 16bit market later on.

VincentGR

Yesterday I repaired my joystick and the RGB socket on my CPC, yes a friend gave him to me in a pretty bad condition a couple of years ago.
So, Bubble Bobble (New), Bruce Lee, Magica, Rick Dangerous 1, TMHT.
Also tried some other games but my M4 WIFI didn't like the loader, oh well.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 23:57, 03 April 18
Out of that entire list for the GX4000, Pang was the only one I found enjoyable. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but the GX needed to come out a year earlier. I think it would have seen more success and Amstrad may have capitalised on that to aim to fit in with the 16bit market later on.

They rushed Pang, I'm not saying it isn't good, but in later levels it's bugged as hell, balls get trapped, collision detection is way off and it just serves to ruin what should have been a great game playing experience. I find it almost impossible to progress without cheating, I don't have this issue with the Amiga or arcade version. So I know it's not me. I think people like to claim it's great without fully experiencing it to its fullest, it would be good to know how many people have actually completed it without cheating?

tjohnson

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 23:57, 03 April 18

Pang is ok, makes good use of the enhanced capabilities, nice coloured background, no scrolling and hardware sprites.  The whole GX/Plus thing was a disaster, in hindsight I  they made the mistake of sticking to the z80 and releasing too late, by then people were wanting Amiga, ST, Megadrive,  definitely 2 years earlier and it could have done well and probably sustained the machine beyond its final days maybe a couple more years.  Maybe they should have forgotten the whole cart thing and just provided the enhanced capabilities in the plus models accessible with normal tape and disk.  Then develop a more advanced machine around a 16 bit processor  I wonder what processor they would have gone with, 68000 like Amiga, ST, Megadrive or could they have gone with something like the Intel 286?  What else was available at the time?  I can't see Amstrad having the clout to develop their own custom processor.  Its a shame its not possible to turn back the clock and see if things could have panned out differently.

Quote from: ukmarkh on 00:06, 04 April 18
They rushed Pang, I'm not saying it isn't good, but in later levels it's bugged as hell, balls get trapped, collision detection is way off and it just serves to ruin what should have been a great game playing experience. I find it almost impossible to progress without cheating, I don't have this issue with the Amiga or arcade version. So I know it's not me. I think people like to claim it's great without fully experiencing it to its fullest, it would be good to know how many people have actually completed it without cheating?

I haven't got very far, it was a game I wanted back in the day but never found a copy.

dthrone

Quote from: ukmarkh on 00:06, 04 April 18

Completed it back in the day but only doing the trick of switching to controller 2 when you're on your last life with player 1.  Is that cheating?  ;D   

ukmarkh

Quote from: dthrone on 09:05, 04 April 18

Completed it back in the day but only doing the trick of switching to controller 2 when you're on your last life with player 1.  Is that cheating?  [emoji1]

I will let you answer that, but I commend you for working this out [emoji23]

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: VincentGR on 00:04, 04 April 18
Yesterday I repaired my joystick and the RGB socket on my CPC, yes a friend gave him to me in a pretty bad condition a couple of years ago.
So, Bubble Bobble (New), Bruce Lee, Magica, Rick Dangerous 1, TMHT.
Also tried some other games but my M4 WIFI didn't like the loader, oh well.

Might be worth uploading to the latest beta. I had a few issues with some loaders on the m4 that recent betas have since fixed. Might be worth a go?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: dthrone on 09:05, 04 April 18

Completed it back in the day but only doing the trick of switching to controller 2 when you're on your last life with player 1.  Is that cheating?  ;D

That's exactly how I got to the end of Bubble Bobble, only to discover there was only 80 levels instead of 100!

VincentGR

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 15:11, 04 April 18

Might be worth uploading to the latest beta. I had a few issues with some loaders on the m4 that recent betas have since fixed. Might be worth a go?

Do you think that this will help with the no disc in drive issue?
I'll have a go, thanks my friend.

Shaun M. Neary

Haven't had that particular issue myself.

Might be worth throwing the M4 rom in slot 7 and Parados in slot 6 too?

VincentGR

blackdalek

Mostly just been playing Fruity Frank this week, but also Frogalot briefly.
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.

Dominoid

I'm going to be working my way through this lot. £5.50 on eBay, so there's still some occasional bargains to be had there. Been meaning to pick up 3 Weeks in Paradise and Jack the Ripper for ages so I reckon it's worth it just for those two.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

blackdalek

Quote from: Dominoid on 11:44, 06 April 18
I'm going to be working my way through this lot. £5.50 on eBay...
Only thing I had in that photo was Gremlin's Chart Attack.
I could never get the Impossamole tape to load though, so never really got to play that until years later on an emulator.
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.

Shaun M. Neary

Had a few of those, Chart Attack, 100% Dynamite, Live Ammo and Ten Great Games.

Enjoyed Impossamole. Never finished it though, my patience wore thin as it just plodded along as a game in general. Done by the same guys at Core who did Rick Dangerous II I think.

tjohnson

Played a bit of green beret because it was the first thing I picked up when trying to test my CPC to scart cable.  Its not an awful game in my opinion, although I think lot of people would disagree, it is a tough as I remember but I must be a better gamer now than I was when I was 10 as I got further much quicker than I remember. 

Played a couple of the games on the 6 hits compilation by Beau Jolly, Gauntlet (defender clone) and Killer Gorilla (Donkey Kong clone), both are pretty good.

Also play a little bit of burning rubber, Switchblade, Robocop, Stryker in the Crypts of Trogan.

Only playing 5 or 10 minutes at a time though.

VincentGR

Finally finished Bruce Lee like I did back in the glory days.
That laser thingy level is the one I hate most.

Now my off-topic quote:

Two years ago I saw Bruce Lee 2 on the PC that was ported successfully to the brown machine.

No love for the CPC???

ukmarkh

I tried Green Beret again a few weeks back, still s#it! This game badly needs a remake, hopefully once Ghosts n Goblins is done.

mr_lou

Quote from: ukmarkh on 12:42, 14 April 18
I tried Green Beret again a few weeks back, still s#it! This game badly needs a remake, hopefully once Ghosts n Goblins is done.

I think the general perception of any CPC game depends on whether or not you saw the original Arcade game version first.

I never played the original Arcade version of Green Beret - loved the CPC version.
But I played a lot of Bubble Bobble on the Arcade - absolutely hated the CPC version.

An exception to the rule: Loved Mr.Do. Loved Fruity Frank.  :)

ukmarkh

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:37, 14 April 18
I think the general perception of any CPC game depends on whether or not you saw the original Arcade game version first.

I never played the original Arcade version of Green Beret - loved the CPC version.
But I played a lot of Bubble Bobble on the Arcade - absolutely hated the CPC version.

An exception to the rule: Loved Mr.Do. Loved Fruity Frank.  [emoji4]

It's bad, sluggish controls, crappy sprites, crappy jingle like tune, decent background graphics, gave the CPC a bad name, definitely harmed sales as everyone from that point forward believed the CPC couldn't scroll. I've completed it many times as I was stuck with it as a kid, my mum paid over a tenner for it from memory. I don't believe anyone was that blinkered back to not know that the CPC version had major issues.

mr_lou

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:43, 14 April 18
It's bad, sluggish controls, crappy sprites, crappy jingle like tune, decent background graphics, gave the CPC a bad name, definitely harmed sales as everyone from that point forward believed the CPC couldn't scroll. I've completed it many times as I was stuck with it as a kid, my mum paid over a tenner for it from memory.

Well I liked it.  :)

It's not like I don't understand or see what people are complaining about though.
But I remember, as a kid, thinking the bad scrolling was part of giving the player the tension.
(I also remember two mates laughing at it though).

I do recognize that the controls aren't the best - but since I didn't try out the original Arcade game, I just assumed that's how it was. And I enjoyed the game a lot.  :)