News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

what are people playing on their cpc's this week ?

Started by cpc4eva, 08:41, 05 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 01:07, 21 April 18

Clearly you do give a #### as you're going out of your way to inform us!
You actually never mentioned the frame rate (didn't notice myself), only the lack of credit system which by itself is a lousy reason to crap on a game.

Spoiler: Dont ever play 1943 - it only gives you one life.  ;) :laugh:

As for 1943, in the arcade and on the CPC, it's not crippled with being overly difficult... I remember being able to complete both. In fact the CPC version is probably too easy, there's a balance, if you go under or over then the danger is you lose your audience. You have to find that middle ground. But Lets get back to the CPC and what people are playing 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mahlemiut

Yeah, 1943 on the CPC is way too easy.  Largely because when you pick up a POW, you get all your life back.  As opposed to the arcade version, where POWs only give a tiny amount of life back (although there are items that give more or even full health, but are just a lot rarer).
- Barry Rodewald

Carnivius

Ok I am playing Roland on the Ropes on CPC...

actually no I'm not... I'm playing the new God of War on my PS4 Pro cos it's fookin' lovely.  But hey sometimes Kratos be climbing up some kinda rope thing and I'm thinking aw hey, Roland used to do that too back in the day, probably not with as much style and grace and polygons but it was still fun in it's own ways too. :)

I do so love a nice mixture of retro and modern.  A fun game is a fun game no matter how technologically advanced it may or may not be. :D
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 07:39, 21 April 18

As for 1943, in the arcade and on the CPC, it's not crippled with being overly difficult... I remember being able to complete both. In fact the CPC version is probably too easy, there's a balance, if you go under or over then the danger is you lose your audience. You have to find that middle ground. But Lets get back to the CPC and what people are playing 🤪

Ooooooh! I got meme'd! Wow, you certainly showed me didn't you?  ::)

The 1943 comparison was strictly to prove my point that one life is not the be all and end all of games on any format. That being said, 1943 was easy on every format. C64 is even easier.

Finished Beyond The Ice Palace today... and didn't even have to use all my lives to do to it!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ukmarkh

Quote from: Carnivius on 12:24, 21 April 18
Ok I am playing Roland on the Ropes on CPC...

actually no I'm not... I'm playing the new God of War on my PS4 Pro cos it's fookin' lovely.  But hey sometimes Kratos be climbing up some kinda rope thing and I'm thinking aw hey, Roland used to do that too back in the day, probably not with as much style and grace and polygons but it was still fun in it's own ways too. :)

I do so love a nice mixture of retro and modern.  A fun game is a fun game no matter how technologically advanced it may or may not be. :D

I saw God of War for sale in Game yesterday, £47.99 I was like no chance, I'll wait until it comes down to around £25. But yes, I loved Roland on the Ropes, that feeling of nearly reaching the top and then finally escaping [emoji23]

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 21:39, 21 April 18

Ooooooh! I got meme'd! Wow, you certainly showed me didn't you?  ::)

The 1943 comparison was strictly to prove my point that one life is not the be all and end all of games on any format. That being said, 1943 was easy on every format. C64 is even easier.

Finished Beyond The Ice Palace today... and didn't even have to use all my lives to do to it!

IMHO one life is bad game design, to bleat otherwise is foolish 🤪 I've never completed Beyond the Ice Palace without slightly cheating, another game that could have been great, but too difficult and not enough lives...

Games like Renegade, Shinobi, Operation Wolf, Robocop and Wec Le Mans are all good examples of games where the balance is just right and the allotted lives and energy feel as though they were dished out fairly. But there's many examples of games where one life is never enough, especially on the CPC...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 23:56, 21 April 18
IMHO one life is bad game design, to bleat otherwise is foolish 🤪 I've never completed Beyond the Ice Palace without slightly cheating, another game that could have been great, but too difficult and not enough lives...

Games like Renegade, Shinobi, Operation Wolf, Robocop and Wec Le Mans are all good examples of games where the balance is just right and the allotted lives and energy feel as though they were dished out fairly. But there's many examples of games where one life is never enough, especially on the CPC...

It's called a challenge. To bleat otherwise just means you're not cut out for it.

Partially agree with you on BTIP, Mark. On the surface it's too difficult, like most games where Cecco or Perry were involved with. But persevere with it and you'll see that the monsters spawn in exactly the same place on each go. This allows you to develop a successful path. It engages your brain. To say there's not enough lives when you get nine of them, sorry but I don't get that. They're only not enough if you don't learn from mistakes which is what arcade games were kinda like anyway. If you weren't careful, you lost your credit.

Operation Wolf was one life only too, and far more difficult than UN Squadron, so you're kinda contradicting yourself there with that statement. I do agree with the rest of your examples though.

I'm gonna agree to disagree on this and leave it there because we could go around in circles on this. I'm just not the kind of guy who wants to finish a game on first load. Especially as I was a tape loader back in the day, so if I got some sort of challenge from a game, I was okay with that.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 10:35, 22 April 18

It's called a challenge. To bleat otherwise just means you're not cut out for it.

Partially agree with you on BTIP, Mark. On the surface it's too difficult, like most games where Cecco or Perry were involved with. But persevere with it and you'll see that the monsters spawn in exactly the same place on each go. This allows you to develop a successful path. It engages your brain. To say there's not enough lives when you get nine of them, sorry but I don't get that. They're only not enough if you don't learn from mistakes which is what arcade games were kinda like anyway. If you weren't careful, you lost your credit.

Operation Wolf was one life only too, and far more difficult than UN Squadron, so you're kinda contradicting yourself there with that statement. I do agree with the rest of your examples though.

I'm gonna agree to disagree on this and leave it there because we could go around in circles on this. I'm just not the kind of guy who wants to finish a game on first load. Especially as I was a tape loader back in the day, so if I got some sort of challenge from a game, I was okay with that.

Bloody hell, are you still bleating! Please agree to disagree as you are wrong! Operation wolf was not one e'ffing life! If you died, you could continue on the level you died on, you didn't have to go back to the eff'ing start and lose everything. Stop protecting bad game design. Next you'll be telling me that Green Beret is a good game on the Amstrad! [emoji23]

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 10:53, 22 April 18
Bloody hell, are you still bleating! Please agree to disagree as you are wrong! Operation wolf was not one e'ffing life! If you died, you could continue on the level you died on, you didn't have to go back to the eff'ing start and lose everything. Stop protecting bad game design. Next you'll be telling me that Green Beret is a good game on the Amstrad!

That's a credit, not a life. Learn to differentiate between the two! Most of the time you lose your score by using a credit.
Go back to using cheats, you clearly suck at gaming.  :laugh:

tjohnson

I can't really remember finishing many games on the amstrad, treasure Island dizzy is about the only one i do.    Green Beret was an ok game but i never finished it and only recently picked it up again.  Time to climb back under my rock ;-)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: tjohnson on 11:31, 22 April 18
I can't really remember finishing many games on the amstrad, treasure Island dizzy is about the only one i do.    Green Beret was an ok game but i never finished it and only recently picked it up again.  Time to climb back under my rock ;-)

Treasure Island Dizzy took me ages to complete. Mostly due to the fact that my original tape version had the bug where the game reset as soon as you entered the water! Once I finally got the fixed version, the amount of backing and forthing got to me after a while (if only we knew what Spellbound Dizzy had in store for us a few years later!). But I got there in the end. :)

Green Beret has been done to death on this forum. I still enjoyed it, sure it didn't do scrolling (neither did a lot of games), but to me, the biggest fault with Green Beret was the collision detection. Sometimes your stab wouldn't register, therefore making you lose a life when you really didn't need to. End of level 3 was also a nightmare trying to time your rockets to hit those helicopter type enemies. I think I may have finished that level once around 89, but I never finished the game. Might try today.  :)

tjohnson

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:50, 22 April 18
Treasure Island Dizzy took me ages to complete. Mostly due to the fact that my original tape version had the bug where the game reset as soon as you entered the water! Once I finally got the fixed version, the amount of backing and forthing got to me after a while (if only we knew what Spellbound Dizzy had in store for us a few years later!). But I got there in the end. :)

Green Beret has been done to death on this forum. I still enjoyed it, sure it didn't do scrolling (neither did a lot of games), but to me, the biggest fault with Green Beret was the collision detection. Sometimes your stab wouldn't register, therefore making you lose a life when you really didn't need to. End of level 3 was also a nightmare trying to time your rockets to hit those helicopter type enemies. I think I may have finished that level once around 89, but I never finished the game. Might try today.  :)
Yep lots of split opinion on green beret,  don't need to go there again!   Good luck trying to finish it, might have a go myself later too.

Carnivius

Quote from: ukmarkh on 23:44, 21 April 18I saw God of War for sale in Game yesterday, £47.99 I was like no chance, I'll wait until it comes down to around £25.

I don't normally buy AAA games on release day (partially cos there ain't many that seem worth it to me and also I'm unemployed so couldn't buy lots even if i wanted to) but this one is absolutely worth it.  I got me the digital deluxe version for about £48 on PSN and it's a huge game of the absolute highest quality.  None of these overpriced regurgitated bits of crud like call of duty, the yearly fifa and such.   And these highly focused single player games like God of War with no micro-transactions and no lootboxes absolutely need the support of gamers even just to show the greedy companies like EA and Activision that there are game dev companies like Santa Monica and Naughty Dog out there who treat gamers with respect and take their time crafting a game with lots of love and care rather than having to rush out half-assed crap all the time.  :)

oh forgot to say i was playing a bit of chase hq on the cpc emulator on my PSP this morning while stuck outside waiting for a guy who wanted to buy a chair i was selling and my flat is a bit tricky to find. :P
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

ukmarkh

Quote from: Carnivius on 12:57, 22 April 18
I don't normally buy AAA games on release day (partially cos there ain't many that seem worth it to me and also I'm unemployed so couldn't buy lots even if i wanted to) but this one is absolutely worth it.  I got me the digital deluxe version for about £48 on PSN and it's a huge game of the absolute highest quality.  None of these overpriced regurgitated bits of crud like call of duty, the yearly fifa and such.   And these highly focused single player games like God of War with no micro-transactions and no lootboxes absolutely need the support of gamers even just to show the greedy companies like EA and Activision that there are game dev companies like Santa Monica and Naughty Dog out there who treat gamers with respect and take their time crafting a game with lots of love and care rather than having to rush out half-assed crap all the time.  :)

oh forgot to say i was playing a bit of chase hq on the cpc emulator on my PSP this morning while stuck outside waiting for a guy who wanted to buy a chair i was selling and my flat is a bit tricky to find. :P

Completely agree with everything apart from price, no game is worth that much.

Carnivius

Quote from: ukmarkh on 14:44, 22 April 18
Completely agree with everything apart from price, no game is worth that much.

And yet in another topic you say
Quote from: ukmarkh on 19:48, 17 April 18
I would pay over the odds for a GX4000 version of Outrun!

How much would that be?  For an 8-bit video game cartridge that even if using the Plus features will still not be quite the same as the 30 year old arcade game it's based on?   How is that worth 'over the odds' yet approx £50 is far too much for a high quality state of the art video game that took at least five years of development and cost millions of dollars to make, offers many hours of gameplay and from what I've heard and read is highly replayable after the main story is completed (I haven't reached the end yet so cannot confirm but I bloody love playing it)?   Console games have always been expensive but some are definitely more worth it than others.   It's a lot more difficult for a system exclusive game to sell a lot than it is for a multi-platform game to do so yet a lot of exclusive games are cheaper than those (Sony's first party dev games like God of War and those from Naughty Dog such as The Last of Us and the Uncharted series have all been far cheaper than games such as those from Activision and EA).   I always like to see these kinds of games do well (when they deserve it which these ones clearly do)  and it pains me to see when great games don't sell well and the developers are disuaded from doing anything else in that genre.  For example, Housemarque are a company who have done a lot of great arcade shooters for PlayStation and PC but their best game Nex Machina, which is a superb top down shooter made in collaboration with Eugene Jarvis of arcade classics such as Defender, Robotron and Smash TV, sold so poorly they have now quit the arcade shooter genre because they just couldn't afford to do it anymore.  Their new game is apparently some kind of Battle Royal thing (like Fortnite, PUBG and all that kind of thing) which I personally have no interest in.  I mean great if it can help them pay their bills but them quitting the arcade shooter genre they were so damn good at makes me wish I'd at least bought Nex Machina at full price of £15.99 rather than had waited for the sale price of £7.99.  I kinda feel guilty when I play it now. Knowing I'm at least a tiny bit responsible for the non-existence of follow up titles.   I like to see quality game developers rewarded.  Even in the 8-bit scene I happily buy new releases when available of the digital versions of 8-bit games even for systems I don't care for (I've bought many C64 titles) even just for appreciation of the scene (even though I don't play those much I'm often impressed by their quality and ideas and such).  I don't buy the physical versions for various reasons (I don't buy physical of modern system games either) but I buy almost all the digital versions and have even given a few quid each to various developers when they've released games for free.  Just to show my appreciation that they'd made a game I thought was fun or interesting.  I can't go nuts cos I'm long term unemployed.  God of War motivated me to do a 'spring clean' of some old stuff onto eBay finally (and I made about three times the cost of the game anyways.  :D ).  Yes there's difference between hobbyist indie developers making 8-bit games in their spare time and those folks full time employed making AAA modern games but at the end it's all people putting a lot of their hard work into creating these things.  I've been meaning to give @reidrac some money for the enjoyment I have got from his games. I can't recall if maybe I already offered and perhaps he declined? I shall have to check.  I do have the posters of Magica and Golden Tail at least. :) 

Ugh I probably babbled but anyways those be some of my reasons why I not only feel God of War is worth the money but also that quality developers of any scene should be encouraged more when they create something that clearly has so much love and effort put into it and money is gonna always come into it with these things.   
Anyways I hope you do enjoy it when you decide which price you feel is worth it.  It's a really good game that I'm hoping will do really well (I already know of a few Xbox folk buying a PS4 just for it so that's encouraging in itself, especially since Xbox is seriously lacking in exclusives..and the ones it does have... well... You wanna look up Sea of Thieves if you wanna see a game that is not worth the money.  It could be good, but there's barely any content in it for an expensive game).   Ok I'm done with this subject. I doubt I can change your mind at all but I felt I should explain why I feel about it the way I do.  :)

Anyways BACK ON TOPIC. :)
Just got home from rehearsal where I ad continued my Chase HQ game from this morning while waiting for my scene.  My one scene in the whole darn show.  And then I played Stryker in the Crypts of Trogan (I like that it push scrolls at the edges rather than Switchblades flick screen and the character is actually still controllable during the fast scroll onto the next screen.  It may be basically a pseudo-sequel of Switchblade but it does have some nice engine improvements).

ukmarkh

Quote from: Carnivius on 17:49, 22 April 18
And yet in another topic you say
How much would that be?  For an 8-bit video game cartridge that even if using the Plus features will still not be quite the same as the 30 year old arcade game it's based on?   How is that worth 'over the odds' yet approx £50 is far too much for a high quality state of the art video game that took at least five years of development and cost millions of dollars to make, offers many hours of gameplay and from what I've heard and read is highly replayable after the main story is completed (I haven't reached the end yet so cannot confirm but I bloody love playing it)?   Console games have always been expensive but some are definitely more worth it than others.   It's a lot more difficult for a system exclusive game to sell a lot than it is for a multi-platform game to do so yet a lot of exclusive games are cheaper than those (Sony's first party dev games like God of War and those from Naughty Dog such as The Last of Us and the Uncharted series have all been far cheaper than games such as those from Activision and EA).   I always like to see these kinds of games do well (when they deserve it which these ones clearly do)  and it pains me to see when great games don't sell well and the developers are disuaded from doing anything else in that genre.  For example, Housemarque are a company who have done a lot of great arcade shooters for PlayStation and PC but their best game Nex Machina, which is a superb top down shooter made in collaboration with Eugene Jarvis of arcade classics such as Defender, Robotron and Smash TV, sold so poorly they have now quit the arcade shooter genre because they just couldn't afford to do it anymore.  Their new game is apparently some kind of Battle Royal thing (like Fortnite, PUBG and all that kind of thing) which I personally have no interest in.  I mean great if it can help them pay their bills but them quitting the arcade shooter genre they were so damn good at makes me wish I'd at least bought Nex Machina at full price of £15.99 rather than had waited for the sale price of £7.99.  I kinda feel guilty when I play it now. Knowing I'm at least a tiny bit responsible for the non-existence of follow up titles.   I like to see quality game developers rewarded.  Even in the 8-bit scene I happily buy new releases when available of the digital versions of 8-bit games even for systems I don't care for (I've bought many C64 titles) even just for appreciation of the scene (even though I don't play those much I'm often impressed by their quality and ideas and such).  I don't buy the physical versions for various reasons (I don't buy physical of modern system games either) but I buy almost all the digital versions and have even given a few quid each to various developers when they've released games for free.  Just to show my appreciation that they'd made a game I thought was fun or interesting.  I can't go nuts cos I'm long term unemployed.  God of War motivated me to do a 'spring clean' of some old stuff onto eBay finally (and I made about three times the cost of the game anyways.  :D ).  Yes there's difference between hobbyist indie developers making 8-bit games in their spare time and those folks full time employed making AAA modern games but at the end it's all people putting a lot of their hard work into creating these things.  I've been meaning to give @reidrac some money for the enjoyment I have got from his games. I can't recall if maybe I already offered and perhaps he declined? I shall have to check.  I do have the posters of Magica and Golden Tail at least. :) 

Ugh I probably babbled but anyways those be some of my reasons why I not only feel God of War is worth the money but also that quality developers of any scene should be encouraged more when they create something that clearly has so much love and effort put into it and money is gonna always come into it with these things.   
Anyways I hope you do enjoy it when you decide which price you feel is worth it.  It's a really good game that I'm hoping will do really well (I already know of a few Xbox folk buying a PS4 just for it so that's encouraging in itself, especially since Xbox is seriously lacking in exclusives..and the ones it does have... well... You wanna look up Sea of Thieves if you wanna see a game that is not worth the money.  It could be good, but there's barely any content in it for an expensive game).   Ok I'm done with this subject. I doubt I can change your mind at all but I felt I should explain why I feel about it the way I do.  :)

Anyways BACK ON TOPIC. :)
Just got home from rehearsal where I ad continued my Chase HQ game from this morning while waiting for my scene.  My one scene in the whole darn show.  And then I played Stryker in the Crypts of Trogan (I like that it push scrolls at the edges rather than Switchblades flick screen and the character is actually still controllable during the fast scroll onto the next screen.  It may be basically a pseudo-sequel of Switchblade but it does have some nice engine improvements).

I said that with tongue in cheek as we all know it's never going to happen. Saying that, I love supporting the CPC and other 8 bit communities, if a game did come along that really needed my support, I could definitely be pushed to support it, but supporting new CPC games and current next gen commercial games is completely different for me. I recently purchased the new Kevin Toms Footy Manager game in good faith, only to find out that I needed to spend more to unlock additional features. It's this kind of sickness that plagues modern gaming, so I'm more likely to support an indie title or old CPC project where you get the whole package and more in one purchase. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me... So I will wait until God of War has reduced in price to around £30 -35 and then purchase it. Why the hell a digital download costs as much as the same game with cover and DVD in 2018 is beyond me, but the cynic in me says we're being taken for a ride.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 10:54, 22 April 18
That's a credit, not a life. Learn to differentiate between the two! Most of the time you lose your score by using a credit.
Go back to using cheats, you clearly suck at gaming.  :laugh:

Go back to Nintendo Life or whatever Nintendo site you crawled out of and wash your mouth out, I never cheat 🤥 [emoji23]🤪

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 18:54, 22 April 18
Go back to Nintendo Life or whatever Nintendo site you crawled out of and wash your mouth out, I never cheat 🤥 🤪

Man... how old are you? Because your posts read like a 12 year old keyboard warrior.
The difference between you and me? I attack your posts, you attack the poster.

But whatever helps you sleep at night, kid. 😂

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:21, 22 April 18

Man... how old are you? Because your posts read like a 12 year old keyboard warrior.
The difference between you and me? I attack your posts, you attack the poster.

But whatever helps you sleep at night, kid. [emoji23]

I'll be the adult here and bid you farewell [emoji6]

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 20:42, 22 April 18
I'll be the adult here and bid you farewell

Regret to inform you that you stopped being the adult several posts ago, but sleep well.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: tjohnson on 12:05, 22 April 18
Yep lots of split opinion on green beret,  don't need to go there again!   Good luck trying to finish it, might have a go myself later too.

It hasn't happened yet. Went on a long cycle instead. Maybe tomorrow.
But i actually enjoyed Green Beret when I first played it in 87. It's far from perfect but it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Ghosts N Goblins has the EXACT same flaws as Green Beret but for some reason it's praised more. At least Green Beret kept all it's levels.  :laugh:

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:44, 22 April 18

Regret to inform you that you stopped being the adult several posts ago, but sleep well.

You just can't help yourself, it appears to me that you might be nothing more than an argumentative nasty pasty...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 20:48, 22 April 18
You just can't help yourself, it appears to me that you might be nothing more than an argumentative nasty pasty...

Why? Because I won't take your word as gospel? Okay mate...

I'll close the book on this one Mark, here's the last word, have it. I'll give it to you on a platter.  :doh:

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:50, 22 April 18

Why? Because I won't take your word as gospel? Okay mate...

I'll close the book on this one Mark, here's the last word, have it. I'll give it to you on a platter.  :doh:

I always win, but stop taking things as serious as cancer, gaming is supposed to be fun. If I ever meet you, be prepared to get your arse kicked at Street Fighter 2 [emoji23]

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 20:52, 22 April 18
I always win, but stop taking things as serious as cancer, gaming is supposed to be fun. If I ever meet you, be prepared to get your arse kicked at Street Fighter 2

Please! I'll just use Blanka and keep tapping the middle punch with your ass stuck in a corner.
AND IT'LL BE ON THE SEGA VERSION!!

(Less serious for you?  :laugh: )