News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

what are people playing on their cpc's this week ?

Started by cpc4eva, 08:41, 05 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Quote from: ukmarkh on 22:42, 06 May 18
Bloody hell! Managed to get my Silverstone lap down to 00:49:4 [emoji28] Massively addicted to this, I challenge you to better it [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More interesting is how you got *that* far off the track and did not crash. [emoji6]

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: CraigsBar on 10:43, 08 May 18
More interesting is how you got *that* far off the track and did not crash.

Outrun syndrome! Way off the track, still maintain your speed. ;)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ukmarkh

Quote from: CraigsBar on 10:43, 08 May 18
More interesting is how you got *that* far off the track and did not crash. [emoji6]

[emoji23] you don't crash at low speed, the bike just pitter patters along nicely...

Shaun M. Neary

Moving forward... in my vain quest to find a cassette version of Karate Ace, it turns out I have most of the games on separate compilations anyway. So played some games from it.

Work's a bit quiet at the minute so I've WinApe on a surface pro, so I got some quality gaming time in.

Bruce Lee: This one is an undisputed classic, fight me if you think otherwise! I can usually finish this one blindfolded, but for whatever reason, I bottled it on the screen with the electric floors today. A lot of sentimental value on with this one as it came as part of the very first game compilation I ever bought (They Sold A Million II, bought from some dodgy geezer selling it door to door of anyone they knew had a computer). It's so basic, but even though you can finish it, there's something very relaxing about playing this game. It's one where if you're already on autopilot, it helps pass the time, or if you're on a bad day, it can help relax you. As my signature says, forever playing Bruce Lee.

Kung Fu Master
: When I first loaded this up in 1988 (when I first got my hands on it), I was bitterly disappointed with this arcade conversion. Elevators? Where's the staircases? And what's with the blocky mess in regards the guardian at level 3? That being said, it's still quite playable, although hitting the space bar to alternate between punch and kick can be a bit of an inconvenience, but thankfuly you really only need to use the punch for levels 4 and 5 (a kick for some reason knocks the 4th guardians head off, and kicks don't seem to register with the 5th one). I managed to finish this once in 88, and never again since. Today was no exception, I got completely wiped out by the end of game guy. It's just a disappointing re-loop anyway.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 13:15, 08 May 18
Moving forward... in my vain quest to find a cassette version of Karate Ace, it turns out I have most of the games on separate compilations anyway. So played some games from it.

Work's a bit quiet at the minute so I've WinApe on a surface pro, so I got some quality gaming time in.

Bruce Lee: This one is an undisputed classic, fight me if you think otherwise! I can usually finish this one blindfolded, but for whatever reason, I bottled it on the screen with the electric floors today. A lot of sentimental value on with this one as it came as part of the very first game compilation I ever bought (They Sold A Million II, bought from some dodgy geezer selling it door to door of anyone they knew had a computer). It's so basic, but even though you can finish it, there's something very relaxing about playing this game. It's one where if you're already on autopilot, it helps pass the time, or if you're on a bad day, it can help relax you. As my signature says, forever playing Bruce Lee.

Kung Fu Master
: When I first loaded this up in 1988 (when I first got my hands on it), I was bitterly disappointed with this arcade conversion. Elevators? Where's the staircases? And what's with the blocky mess in regards the guardian at level 3? That being said, it's still quite playable, although hitting the space bar to alternate between punch and kick can be a bit of an inconvenience, but thankfuly you really only need to use the punch for levels 4 and 5 (a kick for some reason knocks the 4th guardians head off, and kicks don't seem to register with the 5th one). I managed to finish this once in 88, and never again since. Today was no exception, I got completely wiped out by the end of game guy. It's just a disappointing re-loop anyway.

Have you played Bruce Lee on the C64, if so what are your thoughts?

I personally thought Kung Fu Master on the Amstrad was a half decent conversion, but no music for this type of game is criminal.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:57, 08 May 18
Have you played Bruce Lee on the C64, if so what are your thoughts?

I'm glad you asked, but you'll wish you hadn't!  :laugh:
I think it had a lot of potential, but they ballsed it. It goes downhill rapidly after the loading screen.
The title tune is quite possibly one of the worst examples of the use of the SID chip that C64 fanbois rave about so badly. It's painful to listen to.

The game itself would be fine if it wasn't for the piss poor controls. Half the time Bruce runs, he seems to stop for no apparent reason, which is really frustrating when you're trying to jump the electric floors. And that is what ultimately kills the game, because for any platformer, the movement *has* to be fluid. Going back to Green Beret, sure, the lack of scrolling kills the game for many, but at least the movement, and the screen transitions are consistent, so it's still playable (if not frustrating for some). When your main character stops in mid run when trying to jump a gap or over an object, it's only going to be a matter of time before you just give up on it.

I double checked to see if it was an issue with emulation too, but it happens on my C64c as well, so it's definitely a game flaw.

I've played the Spectrum, Amstrad and Commodore versions of this game, and I'd honestly rate the Amstrad version the highest, when the Spectrum second. Although the Spectrum is too easy, it does win points for the fact that the Yamo will actually climb up vines and follow you.

QuoteI personally thought Kung Fu Master on the Amstrad was a half decent conversion, but no music for this type of game is criminal.

I used to play games with the radio or other kinds of music in the background, so lack of background music doesn't really bother me. The fact that it's near impossible to beat the final guy is frustrating!

tjohnson

We had Bruce Lee on the amstrad back in the day, it got alot of gameplay.  I think my dad must have bought it for us, i don't really recall when it arrived, that event is lost in the depth of my mind, but played it to death and then some.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Gryzor

Imagine that, a lovely thread where I could/would add quite a few posts, ruined for me by having to comb through and remove posts made by adolescent boys.

Thanks, guys!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:09, 08 May 18
Imagine that, a lovely thread where I could/would add quite a few posts, ruined for me by having to comb through and remove posts made by adolescent boys.

Thanks, guys!

We love you, T!  :D

Quote from: tjohnson on 17:39, 08 May 18
We had Bruce Lee on the amstrad back in the day, it got alot of gameplay.  I think my dad must have bought it for us, i don't really recall when it arrived, that event is lost in the depth of my mind, but played it to death and then some.

I actually found the third screen workaround (where you duck under the fence to move to the castle screen) before finding the actual way through (going back to the second screen). It would take months before I'd finish the entire game due to this.

Only time I use the workaround now is to show people unaware of it.  :laugh:

ukmarkh

Quote from: tjohnson on 17:39, 08 May 18

I'm not sure when I got my copy either, think it might have been from a local car boot or market. But yes, I really enjoyed it and it's one of the few games I've actually completed on the Amstrad. That level where you have jump over those moving discs on the floor would nearly always scupper my progress.

Shaun M. Neary

This morning I've been playing two proper classics, both of which are frustratingly difficult, but still make you come back for more.

Ikari Warriors: Fun as this is, but without a tank, you're completely stuffed. And even when you get to the river, it becomes increasingly difficult to avoid fire from the overhead choppers as well as dodging the grenades lobbed at you. Still, an awesome game for it's time and a fine conversion from the arcade. It's sequel, Victory Road isn't too bad either, but for whatever reason, AA cut it down to ribbons.

Continental Circus
: I FEEL THE NEED! THE NEED FOR SPEED! I used to be really good at this one, but now I can just about finish Brazil, and even when I do, I'm lucky to qualify to get to the next track. I'll be giving this a proper run later in the evening, I reckon. It's probably the fastest pure racing game out on the CPC, Burnin Rubber and WEC don't match this one in terms of speed, especially Burnin' Rubber's slow acceleration which was a real drag. A lot of love for this game then, and a lot of love for it now.  :)

Gryzor

I attempted playing IW a few years back and couldn't get very far, though it didn't seem so difficult to tell you the truth. Back when I was 13 or so I remember it being hard, indeed, but not impossible... I certainly never finished it, but I always got quite far, and it was fun indeed!

ukmarkh

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:19, 09 May 18
I attempted playing IW a few years back and couldn't get very far, though it didn't seem so difficult to tell you the truth. Back when I was 13 or so I remember it being hard, indeed, but not impossible... I certainly never finished it, but I always got quite far, and it was fun indeed!

Same here, my cousin and I would play, almost complete it, but never actually did. But we tried [emoji17]

Shaun M. Neary

Oh totally. I don't mean to say they're impossible. The patterns remain the same, so it's just a case of figuring out the least likely way of getting hit. :) I'm also at work, so I can't put full concentration into the game just yet. It came as part of my bundle yesterday (Fists N Throttles was one of the compilations), so only getting to play it now via emulation, much as I'd love to play the thing on real hardware here!  ;)

It'll get loaded up tonight for sure. I think the rest of the sets were tested. Just not FnT because it's Elite loaders, non protected BASIC loaders, which mean they take forever to load!!  :laugh:

Lazy Dude

Ikari is interesting in 2 player mode, as you have to stay within a certain distance if you are behind the other player otherwise the lead player freezes. A friend of mine who is more used to modern gaming finds this "old stuff" bloody hard! Still it's good fun to work as a team to get further than just 1 player.

I am currently still learning to fly in my latest purchase,  Gunship. It may be easier to play when not drinking though  ;D

Shaun M. Neary

A large chunk of downtime at work after lunch so, got to play with the following:

Ghosts N Goblins:
Don't ask why, I don't know. It's not a great conversion at all, but it still keeps grabbing me back. Still can't get past level 2, but I may attempt to put a little more work into this over the weekend. Will see how I feel though.

World Class Leaderboard: Cited as the best out of the Leaderboard games, I'll go out on a limb and say colour doesn't make this one at all. Teeing off and pitching is fine, but it's horrible when trying to putt. Often you'll lose strokes because your ball is too close to the hole and it's near impossible to gauge. Shame because if the putting hadn't been so buggy, it would have been a vast improvement. So Leaderboard Tournament still leads the three in my opinion.

Green Beret:
Went back to this and finally beat it after 30 years. No cheats, no save states. I'll probably come back to it again to see if I can repeat it, but that final level is a real challenge. Especially inching your way to the guy with the flamethrowers when you've no grenades left.  :D

Lazy Dude

*downtime , this occurs because of a loss of customers due to extended periods of cpc gaming!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 17:11, 10 May 18
*downtime , this occurs because of a loss of customers due to extended periods of cpc gaming!

Most likely cause: They left early because they wanted to be out in the sun. Me... I dislike the sun.
And besides, I can still do both... that's why the pause button was invented.  ;)

Gryzor

Thread idea: CPC games that lacked a Pause function.

Shaun M. Neary

Gryzor

Was there a paperclip shortcut to pause things like the reset one? :D

VincentGR

Ikari is an easy game.
Used to finish it almost everyday for a year.
When I accidentally discovered that you can enter the tank  :picard: [size=78%], suddenly became a whole new game[/size]

Gryzor

"...and a year after that I discovered I could shoot the enemies".

VincentGR

ukmarkh

Tonight I'm playing Outrun on the Amstrad CPC, I've never completed route d or e on the strad.