News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Wonderboy Remake?

Started by Mr. DVG, 21:53, 25 November 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 15:34, 07 January 21
Great!!!

If you need a beta tester for upcoming releases, feel free to count on me! ;)

Me too if you need a second beta tester! With Ireland in it's third poxy lockdown, I could do with something in the evenings! :D
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

gurneyh

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 15:34, 07 January 21If you need a beta tester for upcoming releases, feel free to count on me!
Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 17:19, 07 January 21Me too if you need a second beta tester! With Ireland in it's third poxy lockdown, I could do with something in the evenings!

Great! :)
Of course, we'll have to wait a few weeks now. There is still a lot of work to do.
But it's well noted, thank you.

lmimmfn

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 17:19, 07 January 21
Me too if you need a second beta tester! With Ireland in it's third poxy lockdown, I could do with something in the evenings! :D
Lockdown in Ireland is brilliant, i can spend my time with my family by the sea and enjoy retro in the evenings :)
6128 for the win!!!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: lmimmfn on 04:29, 09 January 21
Lockdown in Ireland is brilliant, i can spend my time with my family by the sea and enjoy retro in the evenings :)
Delighted for you, tell em over on the Covid forum on boards.ie, they'll love you.

Speaking for myself. I'm bored off my gourd!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

odiesoft

Hi GurneyH,

I watched Xyphoes Amstream on January 8th where Xyphoe presents your one level demo of the Wonderboy Remake and complains about the flickering scrolling.

I briefly chatted with you on the stream and I wrote you a message about how to avoid the flickering of the scrolling. I'm not sure whether you read it or not because you didn't respond to it.

So I've created a short demo of how to remove the flickering border when using a CRTC register 3 scrolling with a regular 80 bytes by 200 lines resolution on the CPC. Essentially you have to sacrifice two byte columns, one on the left side of the screen and one on the right side of the screen in order to remove the flicker.

You can see a demo and an explanation in the attached ZIP file. Just open the DSK file and type run"st" and then you can switch between the smooth scrolling by pressing the "s" key and go back to the flickering scrolling by pressing the "d" key.

I didn't include an example on how to stop the scrolling, but I assume you will be able to fix this in a similar manner. Just add the black byte columns to both sides of the screen in both screens when stopping the scrolling using double buffering.

best wishes and carry on the good work,
Odiesoft

gurneyh

Hi odiesoft

Quote from: odiesoft on 19:56, 11 January 21I briefly chatted with you on the stream and I wrote you a message about how to avoid the flickering of the scrolling. I'm not sure whether you read it or not because you didn't respond to it.

I didn't see it. Sorry.

Quote from: odiesoft on 19:56, 11 January 21So I've created a short demo of how to remove the flickering border when using a CRTC register 3 scrolling with a regular 80 bytes by 200 lines resolution on the CPC. Essentially you have to sacrifice two byte columns, one on the left side of the screen and one on the right side of the screen in order to remove the flicker.

I know how to avoid flickering using r3.

https://youtu.be/p1ynZ4fyrCc

or

https://youtu.be/6yYrSYp7zFQ

What I don't know how to do is to avoid this flickering with a variable speed scroll (1 or 2 bytes) as it is the case in Wonderboy. :(

I will take a look at your demo. Thank you! :)

edit:
I watched your demo. Nice! But unfortunately it won't solve my problem. :(

XeNoMoRPH

are you going to finish this game? @gurneyh ? , Crownland .. ?  :)
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

gurneyh

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 20:33, 11 January 21are you going to finish this game? @gurneyh ? , Crownland .. ? 

Yes! :)

After Wonderboy, I promise :)

odiesoft

Hi GurneyH,

Changing scrolling speeds is also no problem with this anti-flicker method. When scrolling with 2 bytes per frame you need to add black one byte columns to both sides of the screen, so that the screen width doesn't suddenly change when switching from one byte to two byte scrolling.

For the transition between the scrolling speeds you need to write short routines to remove the additional black columns you had to add for the according scrolling speed. But that is also possible with very little code.

I've attached a demo of the scrolling in two speeds and also included a no-scrolling option where you can stop the scrolling altogether. Type run"tsp" to see this demo.

best wishes,
Odiesoft

odiesoft

... and by the way:

the Crownland and TokiMap Demo look amazing! I'm looking forward to play the game of Crownland once it's finished (and the Wonderland Remake is done)!

best wishes,
Odiesoft

gurneyh

hi odiesoft,

First thank you for the help ! :)

I have just tested the demo, which works perfectly. It's going to help me.

As I explained, I have no problem stopping the scrolling even when I display black stripes, it's the change of step that I have a problem with. But yes, the solution is to rewrite over the black strip. I'll see if it doesn't penalize too much in time.

Thank you again.

edit: @odiesoft

Wonderboy is now flicker-free thanks to you. :)

I don't use the same principle, but seeing how you wait until r3 is in a compatible position to stop the scroll gave me an idea.
And without penalty. Many thanks!

odiesoft

Hi gurneyh,

I'm happy I could be of service!

Some while ago I spend a lot of time on an (yet unreleased) project with different scrolling speeds that was a lot more complex than this. So I have some experience with this kind of stuff.

Waiting on the correct value in r3 is a nice trick and the players will barely realise that they sometimes have to wait for one more frame before their character changes running speeds. The players don't need to know everything all the time :-)

I'm looking forward to see the next flicker free Wonderboy demo!

best wishes,
Odiesoft

Gryzor

Quote from: odiesoft on 13:08, 12 January 21the players will barely realise that they sometimes have to wait for one more frame

Damn now you have ruined it for me😁

odiesoft

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:20, 12 January 21Damn now you have ruined it for me😁

As an Amstrad CPC fan you are most likely so old now that you wouldn't see the difference without wearing your bifocal glasses!  ;D

Gryzor

The joke's on you, not only do I not wear bifocals, but my short-sightedness does not show signs of regression :D GIVE ME BACK MY FRAME RATES!*

*also, the ability to play on my CPC till early morning and then go to work like nothing has happened.

Mr. DVG

It is absolutely not my intention to rush the programmers, but since it's been months since the first release I would just like to know if the project is moving forward and if I can encourage even more the good programmers who are doing the excellent conversion!  ;)

BSC

Quote from: gurneyh on 20:29, 11 January 21
https://youtu.be/6yYrSYp7zFQ

TokiMap looks incredibly beautiful! Among the best gfx that I have ever seen on the CPC. Who did those?
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Targhan

Quote from: BSC on 22:01, 31 March 21Among the best gfx that I have ever seen on the CPC. Who did those
The graphics are from Barjack.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

gurneyh

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 21:23, 31 March 21
It is absolutely not my intention to rush the programmers, but since it's been months since the first release I would just like to know if the project is moving forward and if I can encourage even more the good programmers who are doing the excellent conversion!  ;)

The second level is almost finished.
However, the project is not progressing very well at the moment due to a lack of time and a small lack of motivation.
Only a problem related to the developer. :)

Targhan

Quote from: gurneyh on 09:55, 01 April 21a small lack of motivation
Strange, as many people praised the game and are eager to play it!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Targhan on 10:58, 01 April 21
Strange, as many people praised the game and are eager to play it!

The motivation thing could have meant anything though. Developer could be going through something unrelated to the game, or just needed a time out.

Targhan

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:31, 01 April 21The motivation thing could have meant anything though.
Yes of course. But I was merely trying to motivate the developer by highlighting a positive thing :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Targhan on 12:28, 01 April 21
Yes of course. But I was merely trying to motivate the developer by highlighting a positive thing :) .

As good a reason as any! :D

OneVision

Hello,

nearly one year later, I wanted to give some news about our WonderBoy Remake.

The level 2 is still work in progress. Some screenshots were published in the #50 issue of the french magazine Amstrad 100%.

Here are those shots and hopefully we'll have some more news in 2022.

In the meantime, enjoy the holiday season !

Best,
Ben OneVision Yoris

OneVision

It's been a while since we gave news about the Wonderboy Remake project for Amstrad 128K.

Sadly, the project is now on hold, because life has its priorites and the coder on this project must tend to them.

I wanted anyway to share what we've done so far. You'll find a CPR that you can run on your M4 or your favorite emulator. If you hit 2 on the title screen, you'll be able to play approx. 3/4 of the level 1.2 with some bugs and the impossibility to finish it (because at some point 2 clouds are too distant to reach the end of the level). You'll nevertheless be able to enjoy and see by yourselves how far we've gone.

I wish I could tell you when we'll be able to complete this project. As you can imagine, such retrogaming projects are very demanding both in time and motivation. And we all have lives to live.

Anyway, I think we made it clear that a better version of WonderBoy is possible on "old" Amstrad 128K, without needing the features of the PLUS series.

For the moment, I'll let you enjoy this and I just wanted you to know that, along with some other people, I'm working on another Amstrad project, which could bring something "magical" to the Amstrad game collection...

Take care,
Ben *OneVision* Yoris

Gif Anim available on Twitter :
https://twitter.com/BenYoris/status/1536800480688586752?s=20&t=JGQlLQwySKwEOJlkVoxV0A