News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

WORDLE CPC

Started by arnolde, 19:48, 25 February 22

Previous topic - Next topic

arnolde

Hello folks,

nobody asked for it, nobody needs it, but I wanted to be the one to make it:

Wordle for our beloved CPC. It includes word lists in four languages and the possibility to add a custom word list.
So you can add any other language (as long as it uses the 26 standard letters of the latin alphabet) or make easier ones if the included wordlist are too heavy for you.

It's all explained in the program but of course I'm happy to help and looking forward to your feedback – and bug reports  :picard:

EDIT: I fixed the amount of guesses. Like in the original, it's six now instead of 5

robcfg

Congrats!

It's nicely done and quite addictive.

I have to report on small flaw though  8)
You cannot view this attachment.
As you can see, there's an 'E' in the right place, but if I add another 'E', it appears in yellow even if there's no other 'E' in the word. 

Hilariously, it made me try 'EURE' followed by all the letter with no result  ;D

arnolde

Quote from: robcfg on 23:00, 25 February 22even if there's no other 'E' in the word
Well.. let's call it a feature that makes the game more tricky... 
I mean, virtually, there is an E in the word, but not at this place  ;)

robcfg

I'm not quite convinced, but it can be very tricky to solve.

Now I'm intrigued on how does the original Wordle handle it  :)

andycadley

If I had to guess, first remove all the letters that are in the correct position. Then one by one remove letters that are in other guessed positions either by flagging them as yellow or not present at all. By taking them out of the pool of letters to compare against, you avoid the chance of something double counting like this.

arnolde

Yes, but honestly, I find there is something unlogical in the way that the official Wordle treats this problem: 
If i use robcfg's example with the original rules, PUREE would have the first E green and the second one grey. But grey means: The letter doesn't appear in the word at all
Also, if I use a letter twice in the original game, both positions being wrong (f.i. guessing "SHEEP" when the solution is "BEARD"), it only makes one yellow and the other one grey. This way, the colors shows how many E's there are in the word.
In my version, you don't get this information, both E's are yellow. But the advantage is that you learn not only one, but two positions that you can outrule for the letter in question.

robcfg

This is one of these things that look easy but are, in fact, not.

In my case, I found it a bit misleading, as I was searching for a word with two E's until I realised there was no room for that and hence my last attempt with 'LURES', when I realised there were only one 'E'.

Maybe I was just unlucky to encounter such situation, but if it repeats many times, then it's not as fun.

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

andycadley

Quote from: arnolde on 08:57, 26 February 22Yes, but honestly, I find there is something unlogical in the way that the official Wordle treats this problem:
If i use robcfg's example with the original rules, PUREE would have the first E green and the second one grey. But grey means: The letter doesn't appear in the word at all.
Also, if I use a letter twice in the original game, both positions being wrong (f.i. guessing "SHEEP" when the solution is "BEARD"), it only makes one yellow and the other one grey. This way, the colors shows how many E's there are in the word.
In my version, you don't get this information, both E's are yellow. But the advantage is that you learn not only one, but two positions that you can outrule for the letter in question.
The problem with that is it breaks common strategies for dealing with words that contain the same letter multiple times and makes it very difficult to distinguish whether you have the correct letters in the wrong position, or whether one of them is counting twice.

arnolde

OK, I'll try to change the checking/colouring routine according to the original rules.  :-X

arnolde

I modified the routine and updated the disk file. Anyone wants to check if the colouring works corectly now? 

Nich

Quote from: arnolde on 09:42, 28 February 22I modified the routine and updated the disk file. Anyone wants to check if the colouring works corectly now?
It seems to work OK for me.

GUNHED

Yellow and Green look (for my eyes) pretty much the same. Can the colors be changed in options? Or use a darker green?  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

eto

Surprisingly fun ;-)

One comment: When I don't find the word in about 50% of the cases, the screen switches directly back to the menu without showing the solution. Probably it does show it, but it switches too fast to recognise anything. I definitely only hit enter once.

arnolde

Quote from: GUNHED on 12:42, 01 March 22Can the colors be changed in options?
That's a nice idea, I hop I find the time to implement that in the next days!

arnolde

Quote from: eto on 17:04, 01 March 22the screen switches directly back to the menu without showing the solution. 
That's strange. I can't really reproduce this issue... Are you running the game on original hardware or on an emulator? Are you using the latest dks file (uploaded yesterday morning)?