News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

10K pound Amstrad collection/hoard

Started by arkive, 18:02, 03 April 20

Previous topic - Next topic

arkive

I've posted this link in the ebay thread already, but I think it's interesting enough to warrant a separate one.

This guy has a  mindboggling amount of Amstrad stuff for sale in one go. My head swims just from looking at the pics.

It also got me thinking...

...is it actually worth 10K? How much would you pay?
...is it collecting, or actually hoarding? Where do you draw a line?
...I don't care much about the gear but want the games badly...
...and why not play them anyway? (says most are untested) Arghh :)

TotO

His name is passion_retro_electronics or passion_retro_business?  :laugh:
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

norecess464

I have to admit: it's really a great, clean, good-looking collection !!
Does it worth the price ? errrrr.....  :-X
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

Gryzor

tjohnson

10k for some old computer games, I certainly wouldn't spend 10k on the collection would you?

Ebay is like that you can stick anything up at any price and maybe just maybe someone will come along and buy it, so far for this seller many months and it's not sold.

Someone is being rather hopeful I think

Gryzor

I was thinking, if you want the machines it's fine, though of course these are not that expensive. But if you're a collector of games where is the meaning in getting hundreds in one go?

arkive

I get what you mean, but also the games market is so tight nowadays that bulk buys may be the only option to actually acquire something without breaking the bank and waiting a decade or two. In UK, or maybe France too, there are probably some regular auctions going on, but elsewhere an Amstrad game is rarer than a...well, insert something extremely rare here:) or is priced by scalpers.

That said, this valuation is probably well over the top, even if there are some extremely rare titles there. Amstrad =/= Nintendo.

I suppose ~5-6K would be a bit more realistic price for this whole lot.

tjohnson

The ebay world is full of resellers who just inflate prices.

Maniac

Quote from: tjohnson on 20:10, 04 April 20
The ebay world is full of resellers who just inflate prices.
I couldn't agree more. Some of the pricing is just crazy. With my recent listings I made a deliberate decision to start them all at 99p and let the market decide it's 'true' value.

tjohnson

Quote from: Maniac on 10:47, 05 April 20
I couldn't agree more. Some of the pricing is just crazy. With my recent listings I made a deliberate decision to start them all at 99p and let the market decide it's 'true' value.

At least you know they will sell if one person wants to buy them

CFox

It looks like a nice collection, but 10k£ for that. Rrrright....

Whole vintage computing and gaming console scene has really inflated prices, especially on ebay. Best way to find stuff cheaply is through local ads, where regular people are just getting rid of their old junk. I have several retro PCs myself and even prices of many components are nowadays just atrocious. Some rare ISA VGA cards like Ati Mach64 can easily be 100-150€, when one pops on the ebay (I got mine for 2€ locally). Same goes with non-working units. Brand computers, like IBMstuff, are the worst.

Then again, most of the machines with hundreds of euros/equivalent prices just mostly sit on the ebay, so the real prices these actually move on, are usually considerably lower. But I've been in bids where final prices were several hundreds of euros for a single 486 clone computer.

Most of the sellers, or newcomers to the scene don't seem to realise that these are old machines and in many cases need a lot of work, time and money to fully restore them. And still they may release the magic smoke anytime. And they are still curiosity items and really not usable for any modern work loads, so asking equivalent sums to new computers just seems insane.
CPC6128 - Gotek FlashFloppy - CTM644 - OSSC

arkive

Speaking of local ads: https://www.olx.pl/oferta/stary-komputer-amstrad-cpc-464-CID99-IDEpCAm.html#49e0847719

~70E for a broken (literally!) 464.   :picard: The pics gallery+price is quite funny/sad.

Gryzor

Quote from: arkive on 17:46, 10 April 20
Speaking of local ads: https://www.olx.pl/oferta/stary-komputer-amstrad-cpc-464-CID99-IDEpCAm.html#49e0847719

~70E for a broken (literally!) 464.   :picard: The pics gallery+price is quite funny/sad.

What. The actual. Fuck

CFox

Quote from: arkive on 17:46, 10 April 20

70€ for a CPC that most likely has no other worthy spare parts than key caps  :doh:

It would be interesting to know how that computer ended like that. Ran over by steamroller? It was used as a Rugby ball for a season? Couple of rounds of Airwolf and player really lost it this time?
CPC6128 - Gotek FlashFloppy - CTM644 - OSSC

Gryzor

Yup, my bet is on rage quitting 😄