News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

3.5 discs cases

Started by khaz, 19:05, 15 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

khaz

I just bought a bunch of these so-called calendar cases, that really are floppy cases. For some reason 3.5 cases were never really popular, unlike the 3" cases. Which is surprising, considering a 3.5 floppy is much more fragile.

(you can find them on eBay for a good price in bulk)

Here's a very quick and dirty mockup of how it looks with a disc:

[attach=2] [attach=3] [attach=4]
The dimensions for the insert are 9cm in height, 9.5cm in length. The spine is 5mm large, and the back cover is 1cm long to fit under the tab, or 9.5cm to cover the disc fully. The insert spine is the same width as a 3" case, so that's cool.

Did you know about this option to store disc-only stuff? Now that I have an (almost) fully functional 3.5 drive on my CPC, I think I'll keep the original 3" drive for original games and multi-sided copies, and use the much cheaper and readily available 3.5 discs for single-sided copies of games. Having cases for both make it look really nice on a shelf, instead of having a pile of discs on a desk or in a storage box. Much useful for DOS and Amiga games as well.

TFM

Quote from: khaz on 19:05, 15 April 16
... For some reason 3.5 cases were never really popular, unlike the 3" cases. Which is surprising, considering a 3.5 floppy is much more fragile.

3" were expensive, 3.5" were cheap (zum Schweine füttern...). So I guess people cared more about the expensive 3" disc. Also CPC users keep their things tidy...  ;D :)

Do you have a link where to buy them?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

GeoffB17

Yes, I think I had (have ?) about three of these cases, from YEARS ago.   But about 300+ 3.5" disks, DD and HD.  Never thought the cases were worth the trouble, but yes, they look neat.

If I want to protect the disks (and I've done the same for 3" disks too) I just use a C5 envelope, stick down the long flap, and then cut it in half to give me two disk sized pockets.   Something to use the reply envelopes I get with junk mail, assuming there's not too much print on it!

Geoff

khaz

I started looking for some cases after I found out the Homebrew.AT project:

Spoiler: ShowHide

They look really cool and I printed a few myself, but designing some is something else entirely.

khaz

A slightly more advanced mockup:

[attach=2][attach=3]
(Illustration for Killer Cobra shamelessly taken from the new Airwolf comic)

I'm still unclear with what to do for the back cover. Right now I made it short so that instructions could be read without having to remove the cover from the case, but the full back cover with description etc would be cool too.

Also I want do add more colours. Grey is cool, but grey everything is meh I think.

khaz

More colours!

[attach=2][attach=3]
(sorry for the shit photo quality)

I think it looks better. Plenty of dark greens and dark blues but I don't think that can be avoided without clashing with the picture or the style of the game.

http://mega.nz/#!lI11wCCA!sOS7Nhhkb4cD5awZmCFZ8VBlA_rY8CABUxIdZuPkZsI
Here's a link to my work document, if you have suggestions or ideas, or just use it for yourself.
- I haven' put any logo other than Amstrad's on the front, except on Chase HQ and Bomb Jack, where it came with the cover. Should I put some, somewhere?
- I have another image for Chase HQ without all the text, but it would need a new title and I'm not sure how to do that.
- Do you guys know what's the Saboteur font?
- Any idea for the Grand Prix 500 2 title?
- I'd love to get some help with more advanced image manipulations. Some of the companies logos are in terrible shape and badly needs some detouring and cleaning.

khaz

khaz

khaz

khaz

khaz

khaz

khaz

khaz

khaz

khaz

And that's it for today. I wanted to put them all in the first post, but can't because of the forum limits.
They're all double-sided prints, with instructions. PDF, but you can open them with LibreOffice if you want to do whatever. I'm open to suggestions in design, etc.

More will be coming, later.

TFM

WoW!!! Great work done!!!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

A cover for a demo... sweet :D

khaz

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:13, 05 May 16
A cover for a demo... sweet :D

Eh, that's probably the one I like the least tbh. I'm not a fan of the picture, or the overall colour.

khaz

khaz

khaz

khaz

khaz

Quote from: TFM on 19:12, 15 April 16Do you have a link where to buy them?

I didn't see your question, sorry!

I bought them from an eBay seller, here
Mini Calendar Case Clear Jewel 5mm Free Standing 90mm X 95mm NEW HQ AAA | eBay
But really you can find them by googling (floppy) calendar case. This seller is cheaper than anything I could find in my country, shipping included :/

khaz

Hm, decisions, decisions...
I don't know which one I like better. It's the first time I can work with a wide image, unlike the vertical videogame artwork.
I'm sure the title could use some tweaking too.
@Targhan I took your logo from your web page, but maybe you have something more fitting?
(also I could use higher res versions of the Orion Prime art and Cargosoft logo, if you're willing to share them)