News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

34 new games presented to #CPCRetroDev 2016

Started by ronaldo, 22:42, 28 October 16

Previous topic - Next topic

ronaldo

Deadline is over! 34 new games have been presented to #CPCRetroDev 2016.

While the jury is still deliberating, enjoy having a look at some gameplays and trailers!.

Morri

Can't wait to see even more games for the CPC! What a year! Way to go everyone involved.
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

Arnaud

34 games wow ! It's another successfully CPCRetroDev.
Congratulations to all organisators and competitors.

CNCSoft and RetroBytes games are still impressive in this new CPCRetroDev and i saw five or six games i'm really waiting for.

This end of year is really full of high quality games  :D

If those games were created 30 years ago, they would have been great commercial success for sure, but bad luck it's a little to late  ;)

ronaldo

I bet top 10 games of the contest will be really nice, fun and enjoyable. Also, among next 24 there are may great ideas that can also become great games giving them more time for developing and polishing up.

It is always wonderful to see the Amstrad community florish again with illusion and willing to go much further. Our machines still have many hours to share with us :D.

Arnaud

VincentGR

Dragon Attack!! bullet hell for the CPC  :o

ervin

Quote from: VincentGR on 14:02, 29 October 16

Yes indeed, the number of bullets on-screen in that game is amazing!

ukmarkh

Agreed! I hope that's the end of level baddie we see and there's a wave of enemies you need to fight through before getting there.

Skunkfish

Some of the games look incredible!

Dragon Attack and Outlaws stand out from the ones I've seen, Outlaws in particular looks gorgeous!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

TotO

Usually on danmaku shooters, the bullets disappears when the boss was defeated.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Arnaud

I feel that overall the games are a level above that previous CPCRetroDev 2015. Maybe just a feeling.

And congratulation to all forum members nominee  :D

awergh

Some really impressive looking games there that I'm looking forward to playing (better go finish trying last years games Whoops!).

I wasn't expecting to get nominated for anything, so I'm extremely pleased about that.  ;D ;D

ervin

Quote from: awergh on 10:32, 03 November 16
Some really impressive looking games there that I'm looking forward to playing (better go finish trying last years games Whoops!).

I wasn't expecting to get nominated for anything, so I'm extremely pleased about that.  ;D ;D

Congratulations - which game is yours?

awergh

Quote from: ervin on 11:56, 03 November 16
Congratulations - which game is yours?

Mine is Fitzroy and the Power Wells.

ervin

Quote from: awergh on 12:18, 03 November 16
Mine is Fitzroy and the Power Wells.

Ah, that one looks really cool.
Nice, big colourful chunky graphics (in a good way).

It reminds me a lot of subterranean stryker (a favourite from back in the day).
Was that game an inspiration?

Did you code it in cpctelera, and if so, did you use it's hardware scroll functions?
(Just curious, as I might use them for something in the future, and I'm wondering what they're like).

awergh

Quote from: ervin on 12:27, 03 November 16
Ah, that one looks really cool.
Nice, big colourful chunky graphics (in a good way).

It reminds me a lot of subterranean stryker (a favourite from back in the day).
Was that game an inspiration?

Did you code it in cpctelera, and if so, did you use it's hardware scroll functions?
(Just curious, as I might use them for something in the future, and I'm wondering what they're like).

Thanks, I think colourful chunky is what I was going for as detailed graphics would probably be beyond my ability.
I haven't heard of subterranean stryker but looking on cpc power I can definitely see the similarities.
I would say there were two games that inspired me.

One was CamelotWarriors which basically inspired the theme of the game.
The other which might be an odd choice was Rig Attack. I don't think anyone would of guessed that one :P  but originally I had thought I would make a game like Rig attack but make something that is way more fun about destroying oil rigs. Except once I saw Camelot Warriors in the rules I sortof merged them together.

Yep I used cpctelera and wrote it entirely in C. I thought about dipping into assembly language but I ran out of time to look for any performance out of making sure I didn't run out of memory. Even memory could of been a lot more optimised as I didn't use compression at all but I didn't decide until the Saturday that I would have a fixed level length.
I used the hardware scroll functions. I found them pretty good once I got my head around them. I did spend a lot of time getting them right and I originally planned slightly bigger levels but ran into trouble with things not being drawn in exactly the right place so I made all the levels the maximum length which worked correctly.

ervin

Quote from: awergh on 09:28, 04 November 16

Thanks, I think colourful chunky is what I was going for as detailed graphics would probably be beyond my ability.
I haven't heard of subterranean stryker but looking on cpc power I can definitely see the similarities.
I would say there were two games that inspired me.

One was CamelotWarriors which basically inspired the theme of the game.
The other which might be an odd choice was Rig Attack. I don't think anyone would of guessed that one :P  but originally I had thought I would make a game like Rig attack but make something that is way more fun about destroying oil rigs. Except once I saw Camelot Warriors in the rules I sortof merged them together.

Yep I used cpctelera and wrote it entirely in C. I thought about dipping into assembly language but I ran out of time to look for any performance out of making sure I didn't run out of memory. Even memory could of been a lot more optimised as I didn't use compression at all but I didn't decide until the Saturday that I would have a fixed level length.
I used the hardware scroll functions. I found them pretty good once I got my head around them. I did spend a lot of time getting them right and I originally planned slightly bigger levels but ran into trouble with things not being drawn in exactly the right place so I made all the levels the maximum length which worked correctly.

Very interesting - thanks for the info.
8)

Rig Attack looks good - I'll have to give it a go.

I'm really looking forward to playing your game - I wish you all the best for the competition!

kawickboy

Prodatron

I am totally impressed by all this!
I have the feeling, that 2016 is one of the best year for the CPC during the last time :)

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Dubliner

We have winners!

http://retromaniacmagazine.blogspot.com.es/2016/11/y-el-ganador-del-cpcretrodev-2016-es.html?m=1

Sorry about the streaming. It went down for some reason at about 19:00 and we could not bring it back :(

Congrats to the winners.

cngsoft

Because the list itself is more useful than a simple link:

PRO:
1.- Outlaws / Retrobytes Productions
2.- Hire Hare / CNGSoft
3.- Virus Dog / CPC-Power

BASIC:
- El Reino del Color / Antonio Corpas

"Gominolas" (César Astudillo) award for the best music:
- Outlaws / Retrobytes Productions

"Jon Ritman" award for the technical achievement:
- Hire Hare / CNGSoft

"Dinamic" (Víctor Ruiz) award for the innovative gameplay:
- Outlaws / Retrobytes Productions

"Cátedra Santander-UA" special awards:
- Hair Boy / Carlos Sevila (gameplay entertainment)
- Dragon Attack / Bitplane Technomantes (innovative development)
(if you can't see the banner right now my server is currently offline)

Dubliner

Quote from: cngsoft on 23:08, 05 November 16
Because the list itself is more useful than a simple link:

That's the best I could do from my mobile phone without spending an hour and being impolite with our guests  :P

Overflow

I'm wondering about Dragon Attack:
Is this a premiere? Is there any manic shooter (|bullet hell|danmaku|...) on CPC? and on other 8bit machines?
Looking at the youtube video: number of bullets is very high, while no slow down seems to occur.
I'm not a gamer, but I'm looking forwards to watching it in action on real machine.
Unregistered from CPCwiki forum.

Kris

Outlaws looks very nice & Dragon Attack is very impressive; hope to see it soon on real CPC :)