3rd cpc 464 arrived today...UPDATE: about to give up on it

Started by lynwen, 21:26, 31 January 13

Previous topic - Next topic

lynwen

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:27, 03 February 13
Your mint 464 is just beautiful; you should use the third pic as your avatar!

What dimensions / size do photos need to be to be able to set them as an avatar? It says its too large!

As for the keys aren't they awesome??? I want a normal keyboard to have the same keys - green capslock, shift and tab keys, red esc key and blue enter buttons. So much prettier.
Sorry they are all in working order :-P

Bunnny wanted to nibble tape belt  ??? :o

[attach=2]
[attach=3]

Gryzor

Lemme check -oooh, a bunny!!!! I'm double jealous now. Quick, send me those keys before he munches on them!

Ok, dimensions are 85x100. Definitely won't allow you to upload a full-size pic :D

lynwen

2 bunnies, one big, one small, both house bunnies  ;D

Gryzor

Bunny started eating my dad's vintage magazines, girlfriend is allergic to cats, fish died, birds make a mess. I'm sitting all alone sucking on my thumb.

lynwen

How's my new avatar looking?? Why does it say 664 instead of 464?

Your girl cant be allergic to every fluffy creature, bring one home as a present  ;)

Gryzor

Looks fine, though you might want to crop it a bit closer as you can see the carpet (?) at the top :)

Nah, she's got the usual allergy, feline saliva, she's ok with other animals, but our options, living in an apartment, are very limited and already exhausted I'm afraid :( (totally off-topic here! :D )

Oh yea, it says 664 because you posted enough messages to go up a group :)

Gryzor

Awwww =) Ok, feeling better.

lynwen

Well, it WAS working before I took it apart, cleaned it and greesed the cogs with vassaline...

The power socket needs re soldering as it wabbles and needs to be in a particular position to switch on.
The tape drive no longer plays tapes as if its clogged, oops.

My other cpc which was working apart from the tape counter now needs the power led wires re soldering. Again, oops.

I'm really awful at this  :(

lynwen

Gryzor

Dry joints around the power plug are common, actually. As for the rest, you can always clean the excess solder up! Don't give up!

lynwen

Soldered the power socked back so its now solid and working. Also re soldered the led power wires back on on both cpcs - I must be pretty rough with them  :-[

Cleaned up the tape deck and being as I had a spare new replacement tape belt put that on, though probably didnt need to. Its smaller than the original but that could be because its been stretched?

So, both are back up and running. The counter on the other one seems to be working again weirdly so that one is all fixed. The other is now playing game tapes however the sounds are an octave lower than the same tape on the other cpc

Weird.

Need to do more testing as it failed to load 2 tapes. I am hoping it was the tapes at fault  :laugh:  Will update later tonight  :D

ps My soldering is pretty awful  :o , used to be good at it ten years ago

lynwen

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:40, 09 February 13
Dry joints around the power plug are common, actually. As for the rest, you can always clean the excess solder up! Don't give up!
I was referring to vaseline here not solder but its all cleaned up now

Gryzor

This is a disturbing discussion... :D

But, so nice they're up and running! Hm, can the CPC really read signals at different pitches assuming it's consistent?

db6128

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:57, 09 February 13Hm, can the CPC really read signals at different pitches assuming it's consistent?
Indeed. Amstrad's reading routine is very clever and detects the speed of the input file on-the-fly from the leading tone, as is necessary for it to deal with the different SPEED WRITE settings available (which can be expanded beyond the preset two using POKEs/ASM). It also appears to be highly resilient to audibly large levels of vibrato and other distortion, as I can attest from personal experience with an erratically revolving drive that still managed to load a program into BASIC.
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?

lynwen

BALLS! The keyboard isnt working correctly. Only a handful of keys are working.

So  >:(  off right now

beaker

lynwen

[user]beaker[/user] Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!  :P

Cleaned it up and re inserted the membrane twice now, it is a lot better than it was i.e. more keys work, however they only work if you press REALLY hard down on them. And the some numbers along the top dont work at all.

I'm not prepared to clean it a third time, it looks sparkley clean

Any more ideas I am thinking there is a problem with a connector on the membrane somewhere so it only activates if key is pressed down very firmly.

If I type normally on it only a handful of keys respond.

Time to rip it apart and sell the parts for spares yet?

CanonMan

Dry joints on the keyboard connector, perhaps?

How handy are you with a soldering iron?

lynwen

Quote from: CanonMan on 21:21, 12 February 13
Dry joints on the keyboard connector, perhaps?

How handy are you with a soldering iron?

OK as long as I know what I'm soldering  :laugh:  which bits could to with re soldering?

CanonMan

Quote from: lynwen on 22:06, 12 February 13

OK as long as I know what I'm soldering  :laugh:  which bits could to with re soldering?

I'd start with the two socket strips that the keyboard membranes plug into. If you're lucky, that'll fix it. If not, it'll probably be a case of replacing chips.

Munchausen

lynwen - maybe it's a bit early to start scavenging, and I hope you do get it working, but if you do decide to let it go for parts my 464 is in really bad shape, needing a new case and most of the tape drive, so I'd be interested.

Gryzor

Get in line, Munch, I'm getting the keys. But I think the lady's not interested :)

EgoTrip

Few things annoy me more than lazy fuckwits who think its acceptable to put up dirty stuff up for sale on ebay and other similar sites. I never bid on such items, here is a current example:

Amstrad CPC 464 with colour monitor, keyboard, games and cables | eBay

If you want to sell your item then make a fucking effort and CLEAN IT. You can bet if you did, you will get a better price. Theres no excuses whatsoever.

Rant over.

steve

The picture does not really show any dirt, but I agree with you, I have bought several items that I did not even want to touch before I cleaned them. :o