3rd cpc 464 arrived today...UPDATE: about to give up on it

Started by lynwen, 21:26, 31 January 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

I think it's great when they upload pictures of grubby computers. It keeps the price low :)

Bryce.

db6128

Doesn't look bad to me. I can see maybe one or two small marks, nothing to justify a diatribe like that.

There is an excuse, and it's that the person doesn't want to clean it. Possibly they assume that if the buyer cares enough, s/he will do it. Either way, they take the risk, and it's them who might lose money because of it, so I don't know why anyone else would take offence. Is that why you asked to get the 664 for free in the other thread, because it looks a bit stained?

Personally, if I were selling some collectable item that were in less than ideal condition but likely to be cleanable, I would mention that fact – and state that I was leaving that task to the seller as I don't really trust my cleaning skills and wouldn't want to potentially be liable for any mistakes; if the buyer cares enough, they can have full control over, and responsibility for, the process. Nothing to get irate about in that.
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?

Gryzor

Looks pretty clean from the photo :D You sure you linked to the correct auction?

beaker

Here I've blown it up for people with small monitors or bad eyesight (or both)  ;) ;D

[attach=2]

As you can see I've highlighted the 'V', comma and full stop and the obvious discolouration on the shift, caps lock and tab buttons... I mean, come on seller, show the poor machine a little respect!  :D

ralferoo

To be honest, there are a lot of sellers who just want rid of things as quickly as possible, for instance clearing a house after someone's died or making space for a baby room. They don't necessarily even care how much they get for the items, just that it gets shifted soon. Sure, there's a risk it might not sell at all if something's dirty, but they put up a 99p auction and nobody bid, I'd imagine in such a circumstance the computer would just end up in the bin. To me, the fact it's advertised as collection only shows they don't want to spend the time boxing it up and posting it, so it's really not at all expected that they don't want to put in the hours it'd take to clean it properly.

Personally, I'd rather buy something dirty and clean it properly myself than buy something that looks nice and clean only to discover it's been cleaned with something that's slowly reacting with the plastic or whatever.

db6128

Quote from: ralferoo on 21:14, 24 February 13To be honest, there are a lot of sellers who just want rid of things as quickly as possible[...] Personally, I'd rather buy something dirty and clean it properly myself than buy something that looks nice and clean only to discover it's been cleaned with something that's slowly reacting with the plastic or whatever.
These were exactly my points. Again, if I were selling something that needed anything more than basic cleaning, I would mention it and defer to the buyer if s/he were to care enough, as I don't have any experience with cleaning things! Better they get to clean it how – or just if – they see fit, rather than my trying and potentially destroying something in a hilarious tragic way.
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.

Gryzor

Well, still, the discoloration does not necessarily show dirt, does it? Maybe the previous owner even used keys from anther CPC to fix this one hence the difference :)

EgoTrip

I get what you are saying, but don't you think its pretty disgusting to have something arrived covered in someone elses shit, with 25 year old crumbs and stuff in the keyboard? Why should I pay for the privilege of having to clean it out myself?

Its not just computers either, I used to collect lego and some of the stuff I bought off ebay was unbelievably disgusting. It just seems people don't have any respect and just want to make money.

When I sell on eBay I always make sure the item is in a condition I would be happy to receive it in, and if its broken or otherwise clearly state. I always have, and always will, clean before selling. Its just common courtesy and respect.

beaker

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:20, 25 February 13
Well, still, the discoloration does not necessarily show dirt, does it? Maybe the previous owner even used keys from anther CPC to fix this one hence the difference :)

That's true. The listing mentioned dirt so I assumed those are some of the areas.... It also reminded me a lot of my apple keyboard which is absolutely disgusting :(

Bryce

Holy shit beaker, clean that keyboard. You could have at least removed the pube for the picture!

Bryce.

Gryzor

db6128

Quote from: EgoTrip on 12:25, 25 February 13I get what you are saying, but don't you think its pretty disgusting to have something arrived covered in someone elses shit, with 25 year old crumbs and stuff in the keyboard? Why should I pay for the privilege of having to clean it out myself? [...] When I sell on eBay I always make sure the item is in a condition I would be happy to receive it in, and if its broken or otherwise clearly state. I always have, and always will, clean before selling. Its just common courtesy and respect.
I agree in this sense, sure. My comments were geared towards external surfaces with the kind of staining or whatever that might risk damage if someone rubbish at cleaning like me ;) were to try their hand at it. And that only really applies to vintage stuff. I would definitely do whatever obviously easy cleaning I could, remove caked dirt, and so on. It's the finer details on the finish and things that I wouldn't feel totally confident to do myself.

Still, this is all academic, as I haven't been in this situation, so it's not worth much for me just to say it based upon imagination. I can't disagree with your points, really; I was just suggesting some possible alternative perspectives. Either way, yes, some sellers are just opportunists, and as if that weren't bad enough, some are also minging!

lynwen

You guys get all fired up over small things don't you  :laugh:

Gryzor

lynwen

in regards to this topic, I have decided to sell the parts seperately please see post in classifieds.