News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

AA Vs THE WORLD :)

Started by cpc4eva, 11:33, 10 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

cpc4eva

Ive been downloading some old AA's and it was very interesting to see how the magazine changed from month to month and year to year and how it was able to continue for so many years.

I was wondering what people thought about the other Amstrad magazines ?

How would you compare the other mags against AA ?

Was AA the best magazine in the cpc era ?

What do people think ?

I loved alot of and about AA and some things i think they should have kept like the humor of sugar man and toot i loved those little bits it was fun and something that added more than other mags.

Some of AA's reviews i didnt agree with like thrust's very high rating and towards the end i think they didnt even care anymore about the mag it felt to me in my opinion like they were over it and couldnt wait to kill it off.

Would love to hear what other people felt ????

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I inherited a lot of CWTAs and ACUs when I got my first CPC back in the day.  From waht I remember, CWTA was more fun than ACU.  ACU was quite good though 87-88, 89 it started getting worse.  AA was not too bad, but more game oriented than ACU.  I think the programming tutorials in ACU were pretty good - project oriented as well as learn the basics oriented.  AA became a bit in your face with the reviews towards the end, screenshots over substance.

Never had Amtix! unfortunately.

EgoTrip

CwtA did the best type-ins and articles. AA was a good all-rounder, best for games, and the cover tapes were its crowning jewel. ACU was good, but in true Amsoft style, it just seemed to lag behind the rest.

As for CPC Attack, that was a waste of the paper it was printed on. Sure it had a few good type-ins but it failed because it was not very good, and was trying to convert CPC users towards the consoles.

AMSDOS

I don't have a particular AA which I particularly call my favourite, though when Rod Lawton was editor of AA, it was perhaps during that period when they were making some good quality magazines which were informative as well as funny. The production of the magazine during Rods Reign as editor perhaps suggest a more formal crew working to make the magazine but not necessarily CPC diehards even though the magazine consisted of staff with knowledge of the CPC. The best Technical Forum person was Richard Fairhurst though which came in after Rod Lawton I think.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

pacomix

Is the whole collection digitized somewhere?

steve

Click on "downloads" on the top menu, you will find most issues of several titles, as well as other stuff.

cpc4eva

Quote from: pacomix on 13:05, 17 March 14
Is the whole collection digitized somewhere?

i found this site.......... https://archive.org/search.php?query=%28collection%3Aamstrad-action-magazine%20OR%20mediatype%3Aamstrad-action-magazine%29%20AND%20-mediatype%3Acollection&sort=-downloads

you can do a search for a particular AA issue and view them online or download them and have a copy for yourself.

i also found C+VG issues in there as well.

i have not searched for other mags but i just typed in Amtix and they came up and so did cpc attack but not ACU but even so you should have much reading and catching up to do !!!!

steve

Gryzor

Guys, SERIOUSLY, does no one (except Steve) look around in here?

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?action=dldir;sa=list;id=4

MacDeath

QuoteWas AA the best magazine in the cpc era ?
depends of the country... in France it was non existant and most amstradist couldn't read it anyway...

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 21:55, 18 March 14
Guys, SERIOUSLY, does no one (except Steve) look around in here?

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?action=dldir;sa=list;id=4

I've downloaded a few of the early issues as well as some of the later issues which I couldn't get from my Newsagent either because they didn't get it in or was sold out when stocks were low and they sold out.
I found out someone else who came from Neilborough was buying AA magazines because they got their letter in Reaction, I don't know which Newsagent they were going to though in Bendigo.  :D

I noticed the Downloads section is open to people who aren't Logged in, is that wanted?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Thanks for noticing and reporting it; yeah, the Downloads section is open, but you can't get the files...

Deeko

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:26, 20 March 14
Thanks for noticing and reporting it; yeah, the Downloads section is open, but you can't get the files...

That's just being a pure tease  :laugh:

Gryzor

Yeah, well, if you wanna leech at least say a hello!