Amstrad cpc 464 how to repair broken datasette door?

Started by S0nic, 18:52, 06 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

S0nic

hello i find this cpc 464 today, i'm new in amstrad world this is first time to get some amstrad item, can you please tell me is it possible to repair this door, i can't close them, and what items i need to repair this door thanks

Devilmarkus

Hi there,
without seeing what happened inside the drive, it's impossible to say, sorry
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

S0nic

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 20:32, 06 March 14
Hi there,
without seeing what happened inside the drive, it's impossible to say, sorry
hi

ok then , i must open whole computer and take pictures inside?

Devilmarkus

Could be a solution ;)
Perhaps then you already find, what's bad?
The tape drive is very easy to remove.
It's being held by a few screws only.
Remove the speaker, the power switch and the volume potentiometer first a bit to have more place.
Then remove the drive's screws (I guess, 4 or 6, not sure) then make sure the tape-door is opened and then you can pull it backwards (carefully please)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

S0nic

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 20:36, 06 March 14
Could be a solution ;)
Perhaps then you already find, what's bad?
The tape drive is very easy to remove.
It's being held by a few screws only.
Remove the speaker, the power switch and the volume potentiometer first a bit to have more place.
Then remove the drive's screws (I guess, 4 or 6, not sure) then make sure the tape-door is opened and then you can pull it backwards (carefully please)

i must clean unit, so i will open whole computer and send pics here

S0nic

i open computer and make picture is this enough to see broken part?

Bryce

Does the door not close at all, or does it just not stay closed, ie: goes back up by itself?

Bryce.

S0nic

Quote from: Bryce on 14:22, 07 March 14
Does the door not close at all, or does it just not stay closed, ie: goes back up by itself?

Bryce.

door can go down and up normal, but not stay closed, they goes back up by itself :/

gerald

None the picture clearly shows the latch mechanism which is behind the volume button (left side of the tape drive mechanism) .
There should be a small spring there as well. If the spring is missing, the latch is unlikely to work.
However, it looks like the latching mechanism is in place, which make me think the plastic piece of the mechanism may be broken.
The 464 service manual is available there : http://www.cpcwiki.eu/manuals/service.manual.cpc464.ctm640.gt64.zip
The broken piece may be the nb 24 at page 5 of that service manual.

S0nic

ok i remove volume and make 2 pics, do you see now?

gerald

Quote from: S0nic on 17:22, 07 March 14
ok i remove volume and make 2 pics, do you see now?
No  ;) .
I wanted to see the marked side of the tape drive mechanism. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
[attachimg=1]

S0nic

understand  :D , here is pics , i think it's broken but it's on you to judge ;)

gerald

It does not seems broken to me.
The spring is in place and look attached on both side. You can check that the piece is getting back in place by pushing the stop/eject key.
The hook is there as well (ie not broken).

Here is a photo of a closed tape lid where you can see the latch hook and the lid hook together.
[attachimg=1]

Here is a photo of the tape lid hook when open
[attachimg=2]

You should check how these two pieces works together and if the tape lid hook is not broken.

EgoTrip

While it's open, you may want to use some of these:

(sorry, way too much dirt on that and I'm OCD)

S0nic

hmmm i move left and right whole datassete and now door works, i don't know how it is happend that they trow out in first place ? i will clean unit and will see what hapend when i hook up computer

S0nic

i broke this wire when i try to hook up, Do I have to solder this wire back or can work without her? i think this is earthing

S0nic

Quote from: EgoTrip on 20:45, 07 March 14
While it's open, you may want to use some of these:

(sorry, way too much dirt on that and I'm OCD)

i have huggies for baby cleaning , they are great

gerald

Quote from: S0nic on 21:42, 07 March 14
i broke this wire when i try to hook up, Do I have to solder this wire back or can work without her? i think this is earthing
It will work without, but if you can, just resolder it.

S0nic

Quote from: gerald on 21:53, 07 March 14
It will work without, but if you can, just resolder it.

ok thanks , i have friend who can fix her back but now i must go to his store and it need too much time for me

S0nic

is it possible to remove this plastic glass on datassete door, i wish to clean inside that glass? and how to do that?

i see inside 2 clips but i'm affraid to push them harder , i don't wish to broke them...

gerald

The two upper tab of the window are quite short (0.5mm) and you can get them out easily.
Look there for method : Just picked up this little beauty from Ireland

S0nic

want to buy amstrad cpc 464 door like on picture, must be in very good condition and will be nice when seller can send me with plastic glass removed