Memories of Computing: late 70’s to mid-80s (8-bit era) by Dane Bradley-Carter

Started by ComSoft6128, 10:46, 17 September 23

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

zhulien

I'm a decade later but that was the golden time of computers that we will never have again. 

Imagine when you went into a computer shop and saw all different cool computers of different shapes sizes and even colours, different storage types, different capabilities like there is one available for every persons different taste... imagine one day all that vanishes and all you got were boring beige boxes.

Imagine arcade machines when you went into an arcade and saw 100 cool and totally different machines waiting for you... and then now... none.

Imagine when you could go into a shop and browse the 100s of cool computer games for lots of platforms  drooling over the box art for that cooler computer you didn't yet have, and one day when you struggle to find a shop with any software at all you might be lucky to have only a virus killer and thats it.

Imagine if it were food, where you have a choice of 1000s of delicious food and then its all gone, Mr Schwab says you now only have bugs to eat.

Imagine a World with 1000s of different cool cars and one day they are all gone for a single horrible silent box you stand in and it moves you somewhere.

Darn...  seems pretty sad times are ahead.  Yet I am not allowed to live in total isolation away from those who took away everything I liked... thank God my 80s computer is so reliable I can use it today. 

I wonder if my kids can say the same in 40 years about their crappy boxes full of retard lights, their keyboards full of retard lights... hmm and every thing else they want to label "gamers ..." for no other reason than it has retard lights.  I guess those lights are the only light bulbs they have because they are now so dumb they never have light bulb moments inside their head... so dumb they cannot even use their computer or even know what it really is... its just a thing with lots of retard lights.  They are like a drug so much rather cannot even stop and go outside and play something fun like dig tunnels climb trees play war play in the forest or swim in the waterhole.

... myself, cannot wait to leave this shitty World we live in.