News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC464 bundle, what's a fair price?

Started by Gillespie, 14:44, 30 May 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Gillespie

I have rediscovered my CPC464 from my parents loft.

I have over 50 games for it, a Cheetah Mach2 joystick, some books and roughly 70 magazines. Mainly Amstrad Action, but also some issues of Amtix, C&VG, Amstrad Computer User and Computing with the Amstrad.

I was able to power it on and then tried to load 'Ikari Warriors' but there was eventually a load error.

Anyway, I was distracted by a childcare issue and I think I must have left it on for too long because when I came back there was a burning smell and the display had gone off. The red light on the keyboard no longer comes on. I've tried cleaning the contacts inside the power socket and cleaning the contacts inside the on/off switch with a contact cleaner but it hasn't helped. It sounds like the monitor still turns on but nothing gets displayed. I think I saw on one of the threads on this forum that the burning smell might point to a blown capacitor.

Anyway, I had wanted to see if I could turn the machine on before selling it. I have two children under 3 so I have no time to spend resolving the issue.

My question is, what would be a fair price to sell the whole bundle for?

Gryzor

Well, frankly, without testing it a bit to see what's wrong, you can only sell it for spares... Also, the cosmetic condition plays a major role. 

Bryce

The burning smell will have come from the monitor, which is now an ex-monitor. The 464 is most likely still fine.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Obviously, but "can't test it"="for spares".

abalore

If the games are all original, they have different prices that range from nothing (Amsoft games) to several € depending on the state and rarity.

The magazines value is almost nothing, maybe 30€ for the whole collection. The joystick is a cheap model, maybe 5€. The CPC464 around 50€ if it works perfectly and the monitor probably some € for spares.

You could post a picture of the games to give a more accurate price.

Gillespie

Quote from: Bryce on 17:31, 30 May 22The burning smell will have come from the monitor, which is now an ex-monitor. The 464 is most likely still fine.

Bryce.
Ah, that's disappointing about the monitor. It's a shame that it appeared to be working after about 30 years only to then break.

Gillespie

The games obscured by the light are 'Raid!!!', 'Yie-Ar Kung Fu', 'MacMax' and 'Five Star'.

jarcher1980

Quote from: Gillespie on 21:26, 30 May 22The games obscured by the light are 'Raid!!!', 'Yie-Ar Kung Fu', 'MacMax' and 'Five Star'.
Those games are in good condition with some sought after titles in the boxed ones. Each of those would sell easily for £5-10 on eBay, perhaps more for the big box ones, so nothing less than £60 for the bundle I'd say. Search for individual titles on eBay and filter by 'sold' to see what they went for.

Gryzor and Jet Set Wily alone will be worth quite a bit. Did a quick search for Gryzor - it sold for between £13 and £25. Don't undersell those!

Devlin

Quote from: Gillespie on 21:26, 30 May 22The games obscured by the light are 'Raid!!!', 'Yie-Ar Kung Fu', 'MacMax' and 'Five Star'.
Gack, if I had the cash I'd love to have the programming books, that copy of Get Dexter and Magnificent Seven.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Gillespie

Quote from: jarcher1980 on 06:43, 02 June 22
Those games are in good condition with some sought after titles in the boxed ones. Each of those would sell easily for £5-10 on eBay, perhaps more for the big box ones, so nothing less than £60 for the bundle I'd say. Search for individual titles on eBay and filter by 'sold' to see what they went for.

Gryzor and Jet Set Wily alone will be worth quite a bit. Did a quick search for Gryzor - it sold for between £13 and £25. Don't undersell those!
Thanks, that's useful to know. I realise I could make more money selling things individually but I'd prefer to get rid of everything in one go if possible.