News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A crap games contest for the CPC?

Started by reidrac, 09:11, 03 October 16

Previous topic - Next topic

reidrac

I was checking last night the entries for Reset's 4K game programming contest (aka Reset Crap Game Compo 2016), and they look amazing.

- Some coverage: http://www.indieretronews.com/2016/10/reset-4kb-coding-competition-causes.html
- All the entries: http://csdb.dk/event/?id=2483

I know that the Speccy has a similar game programming contest that has been running for some years. They call them "crap game compo" because nobody expects a great production in 4K, or in the case of the Speccy is more for fun than anything else.

I find these appealing because is not the commitment of a CPC Retro Dev competition, but it'd be fun working on a "mini-game" that you can nail in a couple of weekends (perhaps).

What do you think? Would something like that work in the CPC scene?
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick, Hyperdrive and The Heart of Salamanderland for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

AMSDOS

I don't know when it first started, but there used to the the Minigame Competition which involved all the 8bit systems (well all the main ones I think). The categories were 2k and 512b. The 1st one might of been in 2001, and it went on for a few years.

And yes I used to whinge about it for the same reasons I whinge today "The Rules!"  ???
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

zhulien

i read that at first thinking 4k for 4k resolutions... then off to the link to read... then i thought.  Those 4kb games all output 4k resolution using the upscaler in the TVs :D wonders of hardware, almost a type of hardware decompression, 4kb games that use 16kb (usually) screen memory of CPC outputting a true 4k resolution images via the upscaller.

Then I wonder... has anyone made a CPC game without any screen memory?  Perhaps you can make a game output only raster effects and control the raster directly too or some other properties... raster blasters?  now that's a challenge for someone... 0kb screen memory game for CPC!!!