News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Arkos Tracker 2 songs and instruments

Started by teopl, 19:49, 16 July 20

Previous topic - Next topic

teopl

Hello :)

I would like 2 things regarding this topic so who ever can join please do: (I guess it can benefit us all in the future)

1. gather as many arkos 2 instruments (.aki format) as possible (to use the instruments I like in my songs and not creating them myself)

2. gather as many arkos 2 songs (.aks format) as possible (to listen to songs and also maybe use their instruments)

I know that this is already available in Arkos2 release but sure it would be great to expand this collection.

So, to start myself, I will attach several songs from our game for CPC retrodev competition 2019 (game is called "Ludic - break the loop").

Author of the songs is @brando464 so if you use songs, please refer to our game and the author.
(I guess using of instruments can be done freely since we did also used instruments from who knows where...)

Long live Arkos2! :)

Targhan

Thanks for using my software :).

It's funny that I always find people wanting instruments, because I always advise people NOT to save instruments, but create their own every time, because that's the only way to get new sounds in your songs. By making new sounds, you can make mistakes, make experimentation and find new unique sounds.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

teopl

Yes AT2 is great :) but I don't make music (maybe at some point I will) because currently I don't have time to learn and experiment.

I would like to try different instruments on already made songs and maybe to learn how some effects are made to make instrument.

I mean sure, creating instruments is the best way but sometimes you want to focus on a song or you just have a lazy composer :D

Anyway, is there some tutorial about making instruments? (that would also help)

Targhan

There is the tutorial on the website, but it is not finished indeed. There *is* something I am working on, but I don't talk about it right now. This is the reason I don't update the tutorial for now, because what I would write would become obsolete. But I believe that what is explained on the website, and a few experimentation with the existing song is enough to, at least, get well started.

Plus, I'm available on this forum or on the website's forum, so don't hesitate to ask questions, I'd be glad to help.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: teopl on 19:49, 16 July 20
2. gather as many arkos 2 songs (.aks format) as possible (to listen to songs and also maybe use their instruments)

Artists can offer their AKS files (and many many other filetype formats) to gamedevs at https://www.indiegamemusic.com
Use the search form and select "Compatible with Amstrad CPC".
So far only 10 AKS files are there though (by me). I plan on adding more at some point, and hopefully other musicians will also add some at some point.

No one can prohibit you from experimenting replacing instruments in a tune. Just remember you're not allowed to distribute such edits without permission from the original author.

teopl

mr_lou - really good songs! thanks for the info.

of course, either permission or paying exclusive / non-exclusive is good option, what I don't like is amount of available Arkos2 songs so I raised this topic so maybe someone else can upload their songs.

Arnaud

Cngsoft have converted a lot of cpc tunes in its own CHP format :
http://cngsoft.no-ip.org/chipnsfx.htm

And Arkos2 can import them (this is not perfect but it mostly works)

mr_lou

Quote from: teopl on 20:16, 17 July 20
what I don't like is amount of available Arkos2 songs so I raised this topic so maybe someone else can upload their songs.

The "chip" category at IGM is relative new. Hopefully other artists will put some or their AKS files (and/or other formats) there in the near future.

teopl

Quote from: Arnaud on 20:45, 17 July 20The "chip" category at IGM is relative new. Hopefully other artists will put some or their AKS files (and/or other formats) there in the near future.

wow, I know about the site but I missed that tracker and crazy amount of songs there... the cngsoft keeps to amaze me - so many songs (and content in general on that site - thanks cngsoft)

not sure about the importing the instruments form .CHP - looks like they are generic when imported but I will check more later, maybe they are recognized correct.

for me since I am not into making music, I will just forward the content to the composer to play with it.

Quote from: mr_lou on 04:56, 18 July 20The "chip" category at IGM is relative new. Hopefully other artists will put some or their AKS files (and/or other formats) there in the near future.

yes, thanks again to remind me about the site, also I didn't know that arkos songs are there at all... and they are cheap :)

e-dredon

Hi guys.
Logan - The Dark Castle

https://youtu.be/OXqb3j3d7Jg

This is a one of the 9 subsongs of the BGM i'm currently working on.
It requires the PlayCity (Sound expansion from Tot0). This song is designed for an ingame sequence so i'm using only on PSG instruments. No PCM here.
I might release the full BGM with the AKS module, but it will be licenced under the Creative Common. Free to share with No alteration. The thing is i'm not comfortable with the idea it could be used for any project without my agreement. I don't know if it's ok with your own policy.

Regards,

TotO

I like a lot, particularly the combined instruments to create more complex sound like done on Mega Drive.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

XeNoMoRPH

Waiting for release of that songs to listen in my playcity  8)
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

e-dredon

Hi guys. Here is another Logan BGM preview. With this track I'm trying a new way to alter how Arkos Tracker instruments sounds using rhythm changes in combination with the arpegio lists. I'm using PCM drums at the moment as I was not happy with my PSG ones yet. Channel 9 is dedicated to the in-game SFX.
Roudoudou started to work on a replay for the CPC Plus that will handle both PSG and Samples. I might need to remap some tracks as Targhan kindly advised it's not possible to trigger the noise generator and play samples at the same time on a single AY.
I must confess the 3 first patterns were significantly inspired by a song preview someone shared on the famitracker discord workshop channel a few weeks ago. Sadly i just saved the mp3 that has no tags and I couldn't find his name again to give him the credits.

I hope you'll like it.

https://youtu.be/uIVDzYjMdnA

Targhan

Very cool song, well done (that speed trick you talk about in the video is however very well known in trackers. You can create nice shuffle by alternating speeds).

Quote from: e-dredon on 23:37, 05 December 20I might need to remap some tracks as Targhan kindly advised it's not possible to trigger the noise generator and play samples at the same time on a single AY.

Mmmh, no, there must have been a misunderstanding, it is perfectly possible. You can even technically use the noise and sample at the same time on the same channel, but it will probably sound like crap.
The only thing to be aware with the noise generator is that there is only one per PSG, so if you use noise on two or three channels, they will both use the same value (AT2 gives priority to the last channels). This might sound good, or unexpected (which can be good!).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Gryzor

Quote from: e-dredon on 23:37, 05 December 20
Hi guys. Here is another Logan BGM preview. With this track I'm trying a new way to alter how Arkos Tracker instruments sounds using rhythm changes in combination with the arpegio lists. I'm using PCM drums at the moment as I was not happy with my PSG ones yet. Channel 9 is dedicated to the in-game SFX.
Roudoudou started to work on a replay for the CPC Plus that will handle both PSG and Samples. I might need to remap some tracks as Targhan kindly advised it's not possible to trigger the noise generator and play samples at the same time on a single AY.
I must confess the 3 first patterns were significantly inspired by a song preview someone shared on the famitracker discord workshop channel a few weeks ago. Sadly i just saved the mp3 that has no tags and I couldn't find his name again to give him the credits.

I hope you'll like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKxw_pVy5ow

Private vid?

e-dredon

Sorry. I was about to post the final version on soundcloud / youtube for Christmas. But my SSD badly messed with my veracrypt partition. The source was lost. I have a 3 weeks old backup and need to rewrite about 10 patterns :( lacking of motivation for now. Hopefully I already recorded a video of the final version. I updated the link. I'm not happy yet with the end part.

Gryzor

That's a bummer but thanks for the update!!!

Listening to it now, that's so nice!!!

e-dredon

Hi guys. I've been quiet those days. I've finally found time and motivation to rebuild the corrupted AKS partially thanks to the vidéos I've recorded before the SSD messed up all my DATAS. I've been quite busy with the project I'm working on with Roudoudou and Barjack. They asked me to join a bit late in the process and it took me some time to catch up and understand what they expected to be done. Here are 2 more previews of the songs that are part of the LOGAN'S BGM.
you can find Gates of Aeternia: a pure PSG version for any Amstrad CPC with the PlayCity or compatible sound expansion on my youtube LAB : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uG9K4BCwIo&ab_channel=St%C3%A9phaneFRAN%C3%87OIS

And an improved version with DigiDrums for the Replay Roudoudou has been working on which supports DMA for the CPC+ available on my soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/e-dredon/logan-gates-of-aeternia-100hz-playcity-psgdigidrums-wip

e-dredon

For my 5th wedding anniversary, I actually finished 'The Enchanted Forest' I badly needed a break with the quite dark mood ambiance sound design Barjack want for their project. Hope they won't mind too much ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhb-HKpiXFQ&ab_channel=St%C3%A9phaneFRAN%C3%87OIS

I might post this song later on my SoundCloud as I don't feel I have much more to say here. Maybe the stereo panning needs some adjustments and a transition sounds a bit ruff.
I'm currently beta testing a new Sound Tracker for AY few of us have been waiting for years (love ya Gilles) I'll post when I have something relevant to show and after the official release of the software.
Hwikaa actually told me this song remind him 'The Legend Of Kyrandia'. Probably the best compliment one could ever do to me as this BGM is one of my favorite. Thanks for your moral support dude.

Regards,

Stay tuned!

Targhan

Very nice, well done!

Ah, the Soundtracker DMA is lurking! Good news :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Gryzor

Quote from: e-dredon on 12:42, 07 May 21https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uG9K4BCwIo&ab_channel=St%C3%A9phaneFRAN%C3%87OIS

And an improved version with DigiDrums for the Replay Roudoudou has been working on which supports DMA for the CPC+ available on my soundcloud here: https://soundcloud.com/e-dredon/logan-gates-of-aeternia-100hz-playcity-psgdigidrums-wip

Wow that was nice...

Animalgril987

Those are great tunes, e-dredon :D :D

e-dredon

Hi guys.
I just posted a sneak preview of 'Greed Overkill' on my soundcloud. (Sorry too lazy to setup OBS once again).
The song was originally composed for Bubble Quest (A retrodev in progress for Amstrad CPC+ 64Kb (GX4000, 464+ & 6128+), but I moved it to the Logan series. I honestly think it's one of my best PSG 3channels tunes so far, but it might not be suitable for the ambiance we'd like to propose for Bubble Quest.
You can listen to it here
[EDIT]
Final version below. Preview was removed from my SoundCloud.
Beware I'm not going to be held responsible in case of serious ear bleeding, sudden daphar or any other trauma ;)
[/EDIT]

Every journey that has a beginning has an end.
It's time for me to get some rest so it might be one of my last contribution (Still working on another tune with SountrackerDMA. I hope could finish it).
Thanks to Targhan for making such a great piece of software. Dealing with the AY PSG was significantly more challenging than I expected, but playing around with Arkos Tracker has been a lot of fun.
I'll try to release the AKS of some of the songs I've posted here after some serious cleaning.

Have fun and keep making cool stuff.
Regards,

Targhan

Very good stuff, as always. Glad you enjoyed using my software!
I hope you will "rest" well... and hope you will come back after a while!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime