News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Bad news for amstrad.eu

Started by ced64k, 11:10, 13 January 14

Previous topic - Next topic

ced64k

Hi,

The admin of the french website Amstrad CPC for ever : Amstrad.eu CPC site (aka Phenix Informatique) sent his monthly newsletter and the news are not good :/ After 14 years he doesn't have the time and motivation to continue. So he'll start to close some sections of the site, close the forum, etc and convert the site to a read-only website.

I don't know but... maybe it's a good opportunity to make a partnership and open a french section on CPC-Wiki forums ? Import tool for SMF is available I think.

There's also a lot of articles, tutorials, interviews, etc.

steve

I think it would be good to acquire that sites content, especially if some of it were translated into english, provided it does not increase this sites running costs.

Gryzor

This is sad indeed, I feel for him.

Two issues here:

-should we have a French corner on our forum? Not sure, to tell you the truth. On one hand, I feel that fragmenting the forum into different languages will, well, just fragment things. On the other hand, we do have a German subforum, don't we?

On one hand, it could attract new users. On the other hand, the German subforum doesn't gain much traction, and there are strong French communities, aren't there?

On one hand, blahblahblah, on the other, maybe new French users will also start posting in English and contribute for all of us?

Too many factors. But I'll definitely drop Phenix a line, it should be interesting.

mr_lou

I don't see a french section hurting anyone.

It would be good for the french to have a french cpc forum to use. So I say go for it.

TotO

I agree with Gryzor, french can speak english on the forum instead. (to not fragmenting posts)
Then, it already exist french CPC website like CPC-Rulez for others.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Grim

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:45, 13 January 14-should we have a French corner on our forum?
Nay! Nay! Nay! No French drama-board here too! :)

There are still a few Amstard french boards around (eg. CPC Rulez is quite alive and well it seems, and there are Amstrad sections in other french retro-sites/forums). I also think amstrad.eu died a natural death ie. lacking enough active members (that happened quite a few years ago already), not because of a shortage of french forums. A french section here would be a dead one I bet.

However, the guys at phenix conducted several interviews of various Amstrad figures that would be worth backuping and translating into english. Other than that, I say, let the chips fall where they may :)

ralferoo

I thought most of the French community were quite active on Push'n'Pop, although that is predominantly English articles still.

robcfg

Definitely it would be nice to have a backup to be able to work on the translations. It would be a pity to lose interesting material.

Gryzor

So, people are saying no to a French board? Even as a test?

As for the material, supposedly the site will stay where it is...

fano

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:45, 13 January 14-should we have a French corner on our forum?
Hey ,there is already a french corner here  :P 
More seriously, i do not think it is a good idea as it is an awfull mess (look at some MSX forum, a lot of French,Spanish and English post) on my point as some people will not be able to read posts in French (like i think the German section in this forum have the same problem , i never go there because i do not speak german so maybe i miss something.To be honest i do not like this as that makes a bit like private section)
I'd like to write my native language (as i can be precise as i would like) but i think it is better to have English (Engrish !) for everyone.Btw , there is already a French language forum reference as cpcrulez works fine (thanks to Hermol for his constant motivation), a lot of French beginners go there (that was my first approach in 2009)
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Gryzor

I've been thinking for a long time to shut the German section down, or at least condense it into a single subforum, since there's not much activity there...

As I said, the only redeeming point I see in creating a French section is that just maybe our French brethren (if we attract any new ones, that is) will start posting in English, too...

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:08, 15 January 14
So, people are saying no to a French board? Even as a test?

As for the material, supposedly the site will stay where it is...

Doesn't bother me.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

ralferoo

If there was a French sub forum, I'd probably read it but rarely post just because it takes me so much longer to write in French. Comprehending someone else's French is usually quicker though! But yeah, I'd say start with just one and only divide it if there's a genuine need.

MacDeath

those french who don't speak english already have some forums.
And those who speak english don't care because they also come here to talk with geeks from all the world (but mostly europe)

I just hope Phenixinformatique will get some decent content backup or even stay online despite not really updated.
would be like a museum with no active forum.

QuoteA terme, le site devrait passer en mode "lecture seul", ce qui devrait faire totalement disparaitre le forum.
like I said...
he says the site will become "read only" and loose the forum (forum won't be active i guess).

Quotethere is already a french corner here
a french connard here ? who ? me ?

TFM

Well, if in the forum is no activity, then nothing will change!  ;)

I like Phenixinformatique and the people behind very much. So I just hope that everybody is well.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ced64k

The admin received a lot of support messages and he's working to update the website :) I see what I can do to help.

BluesBrothers

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:45, 13 January 14
This is sad indeed, I feel for him.

Two issues here:

-should we have a French corner on our forum? Not sure, to tell you the truth. On one hand, I feel that fragmenting the forum into different languages will, well, just fragment things. On the other hand, we do have a German subforum, don't we?

On one hand, it could attract new users. On the other hand, the German subforum doesn't gain much traction, and there are strong French communities, aren't there?

On one hand, blahblahblah, on the other, maybe new French users will also start posting in English and contribute for all of us?

Too many factors. But I'll definitely drop Phenix a line, it should be interesting.

The French & Spanish CPC enthusiast should not be underestimated. I find them to be amongst the most passionate users and collectors of all things Amstrad.

Any alliance that can be made probably should IMHO. It can only be good for the future of the CPC community as a whole.

I don't know about a French speaking section though. Isn't there a translate feature within google that enables you to view in your native language. I do this with the Oric site and other euro based forums and it works just peachy

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:31, 15 January 14
I've been thinking for a long time to shut the German section down, or at least condense it into a single subforum, since there's not much activity there...

Well, and I've been thinking a long time on quoting too.  :laugh:  It's right, there is not much activity, so if you close it (and I would understand that), then you could integrate a link to Markus German forum f.e. Dunno if this is ok or not, just my 3 Pfennige.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

I always find it a bit shamefull that you keep this... most of you german speak engrish anyway and I feel rejected by this language barreer (yeah, mein deutsch sein terribadlish...)
Don't you have a german leading forum anyway ?

Like we have in French with CPCrulez ?
This said many frenchscener really suck at even engrish.

TFM

Well, you won't meet the Germans here who don't speak that well English or not at all. And they do exist.

The only pure German CPC forum is probably the one of Markus, there are other CPC-subforums in C64-Fora, but this is not the place I want to be honestly.

Of course there are some struggles in the small, small Geman scene between sceners and sceners and wannabe-sceners and c64-freaks who like to put oil in the fires. I mean... just burn the whole bunch of crap  :-\
TFM of FutureSoft