News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Bonjour, and good-bye?

Started by m_dr_m, 12:08, 02 June 21

Previous topic - Next topic

m_dr_m

Hej!

I'm still madram, trying not to be too still. Main project for now: http://orgams.wikidot.com/
I also make demos.

I'm afraid I can't write in this forum anymore: I've reached 'CPC 6128' rank.
Going to 'Amstrad 464+' would be a triple regression.

Gryzor

Ι was actually wondering when someone was going to notice that, when I was setting up the ranks :D

So what order should ranks be in? :)

m_dr_m

The reverse actually:

6128+
464+
CPC 6128
CPC 664
CPC 472
CPC 464
Trapper Keeper

eto

Quote from: m_dr_m on 12:08, 02 June 21
Hej!

I'm still madram, trying not to be too still. Main project for now: http://orgams.wikidot.com/
I also make demos.

I'm afraid I can't write in this forum anymore: I've reached 'CPC 6128' rank.
Going to 'Amstrad 464+' would be a triple regression.

Same here... I was so happy when I got rid of the insulting CPC464 rank and now fear the 464+ barrier.

With the 464 rank at least you know that if you are contributing, you will skip this rank fast. But the 464+ rank will stay for a LONG time.

Gryzor

Quote from: m_dr_m on 12:49, 02 June 21Trapper Keeper

:D :D

Well, seriously, if other people jump in an express their opinion we can change the order.

Gryzor

Quote from: eto on 12:53, 02 June 21

Same here... I was so happy when I got rid of the insulting CPC464 rank and now fear the 464+ barrier.

With the 464 rank at least you know that if you are contributing, you will skip this rank fast. But the 464+ rank will stay for a LONG time.

For the low, low price of €464 you can have your very own rank AND change it as often as you like*

*up to twice a year

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:29, 02 June 21Ι was actually wondering when someone was going to notice that, when I was setting up the ranks

So what order should ranks be in?

I guess you will not find an order which fits everyone. That is too emotional. If you had a 464, the 6128 was "posh", if you had a 6128, the 464 was lousy. (or whatever else...)

Honestly, I am not a big fan of gamification. It works well, when it is introduced but at some point, frustration kicks. Not necessarily here, but in general. New people with a low rank have a higher probability of leaving the system again. And a high rank also does not necessarily relate to quality. Or even to "activity". Could also be that the rank was achieved years ago, but it stays.

SkulleateR

I would do something like this :

Commodore (Beginner)
Atari
Sinclair
Amstrad (Expert)

:D :D :D :D

Targhan

This is a post just to check my status, I don't know it...

[EDIT] Wow! 6128+! Time flies... :)
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Gryzor

Quote from: eto on 12:57, 02 June 21
I guess you will not find an order which fits everyone. That is too emotional. If you had a 464, the 6128 was "posh", if you had a 6128, the 464 was lousy. (or whatever else...)

Honestly, I am not a big fan of gamification. It works well, when it is introduced but at some point, frustration kicks. Not necessarily here, but in general. New people with a low rank have a higher probability of leaving the system again. And a high rank also does not necessarily relate to quality. Or even to "activity". Could also be that the rank was achieved years ago, but it stays.

Can't argue with what you say. This was just a very simplistic, built-in ranking system. I don't know if it affects people negatively - have I left fora because my status was 'low'? I don't think so... but then again people can be strange. The ranking list that I compiled is, as you can imagine, the first thing that came to mind. Didn't follow any 'current' order but instead a chronological/spec order. What @SkulleateR said makes sense, but then again it could anger fans of other systems :D

Should we remove the ranking system altogether?

SkulleateR

I don't think we need any ranking here (at least I don't ) ... and also you can always see the number of posts, so ....

Targhan

To me this "ranking" is funny, there's nothing wrong with it. It doesn't really mean anything... I'm a 6128 guy, yet I don't feel offended by being ranked as 6128 Plus! :)
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Gryzor

I'm with Targhan... I love the 464 the most, myself, it doesn't mean anything for me either, but hey, what people want!

Ok, let's see what others have to say :) Perhaps @m_dr_m could add a poll to his first post?

Gryzor

Quote from: SkulleateR on 12:58, 02 June 21
I would do something like this :

Commodore (Beginner)
Atari
Sinclair
Amstrad (Expert)

:D :D :D :D

But, see now, the Commodore PET was kinda cool, but subsequent models were not (I consider the Amiga a sui generis platform). As for Atari, I am indifferent towards their 8-bitters but I love the ST, whereas Bryce would gladly give me a beating for saying that.

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:28, 02 June 21Should we remove the ranking system altogether?

We could use an adapted Elite ranking system ;-) starting at Harmless and Mostly Harmless and ending at "CPCElite"

Gryzor

Ehhh I was never a fan of Elite :D

GUNHED

Quote from: m_dr_m on 12:08, 02 June 21
I'm still madram, trying not to be too still. ...
Should have been able to guess it from your nick here... but didn't. Since when are you in Sweden? Saw you 200x at the Klassentreffen meeting in Erlangen the last time. That 20 years passed waaay tooo quick.
Greets, TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:00, 02 June 21Ehhh I was never a fan of Elite :D

Me neither. But... what's about a Starglider system then? Or even better a FireFox system?
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Targhan

What about: Logo, Basic, Turbo Pascal, C, Assembler?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

GUNHED

Quote from: Targhan on 15:42, 02 June 21
What about: Logo, Basic, Turbo Pascal, C, Assembler?

Yeah, newbies start with NOP, and the highest level is RST &0038  :laugh: :P :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

ComSoft6128

Right you lot, start the howling now............ ;D

Games - Productivity - Serious

Gryzor

How about Match Day, lightforce, Cybernoid? Or something like that ranked on difficulty?

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:00, 02 June 21
Ehhh I was never a fan of Elite :D

I am now for the first time missing the dislike button ;-)

BSC

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:28, 02 June 21Should we remove the ranking system altogether?

You've got to be kidding! I had to endure being called a 664 (a 664! can you fucking believe this?!) for more than 10 years (I think I don't have to mention what this has meant for my personal life), then some random frenchie comes along, complains and suddenly the existence of the notorious cpcwiki-forum-rating-system is to be questioned?! Not before I got promoted to a PCW9512, I say!
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

SkulleateR

How about putting the best rank equal to the most sold units ??

...errrr .... ok, think this put's up the 464 to the top line :D :D :D

VincentGR

There must be also MegaPC for the confused like me  ;D