cpc 464 tape deck not playing / general repairs

Started by retro_4_ever, 21:28, 24 June 20

Previous topic - Next topic

retro_4_ever

hi new to amstrad cpc, always had zx spectrums ... brought this cheap and thought i would give it a go..and don't know any basic commands or anything for this beast.. quite impressed with them so far.. but it is like learning to ride a bike again..so the tape deck plays but fails to turn the spool when  play is selected.. fast forward and rewind works..the motor turns and the belt seems ok as the motor turns the plastic wheel/cog. i just wondered if there was something simple before i attack it with screwdrivers. i noticed the counter on top appears to be not connected to anything ? should there be a second belt ? ** replaced all the ram/cpu/and CRT to get it working..+ made a RGB/audio -scart cable.. very surprised to see  a circuit board rather than a membrane bit of research suggests that this is a early model
many thanks in advance

Bryce

Hi,
Play will only turn on the motor if the relay is actuated and that only happens when you ask the computer to load something. Type RUN" and hit enter. It will then ask you to "Press play then any key". When you've done this the motor should turn.

The counter has a separate belt. This may have broken or just gone hard.

Bryce.

retro_4_ever

hi thanks.  yeh i used load"" and it says press any key and play, and the motor is working ok + turning the lower hub but that is not turning the tape spool seems to be not connected.. so now i'm thinking does this relay operate a slider / plunger  that disengages the cogs.. further examination required, the heads read as i tried giving it a signal via a tape adapter although this didn't load it did read it, i may have not made the audio file properly.. 

Bryce

Oh, in that case you need to take a good look inside. You'll need to roughen up the surfaces of the rubber wheels, grease the cogs and replace the belts. ie: a complete service. The play button also actuates a leaf switch (as well as the mechanical actuation). This may be just full of dirt or it may even have fallen off.

Bryce.