News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC max screen resolutions?

Started by mr_lou, 08:50, 07 February 10

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

Looking at the frontpage of the WIKI I can see that the CPC is capable of a screen resolution of 832x288. I assume this is MODE 2.

If I want to make an overscan picture in MODE 0, does that mean I have 208 x 288 pixels at my disposal? If not, what then is the max resolution we can use for a picture to display on the CPC screen?

Are there any overscan slideshows out there for the CPC?

Devilmarkus

I always wondered about this resolution which is written in wiki.
As we know, the screen is max. 768 pixels width.
Emulators use a height of 272 pixels. (Some only 270!)
The height maybe has some pixels more but then you would have to stretch the image on your CTM/GT monitor.

So a good overscan picture would have 192x272 pixels in MODE 0.

Here's my favourite of many overscan slidshows:
http://www.cpc-power.com/cpcdemos/index.php?page=detail&num=886
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

mr_lou

Hmm, I see.

Would anyone else care to agree or disagree on this matter? 192x272 pixel resolution for overscan pictures?

I've seen that slideshow you linked to. It was quite nice yes.

I'm wondering, would it be possible to make a slideshow on the CPC today, with music playing in the background continuously, without being interrupted by the disc drive, like we see in Orion Prime?

redbox

Quote from: mr_lou on 14:08, 07 February 10
Would anyone else care to agree or disagree on this matter? 192x272 pixel resolution for overscan pictures?

To setup an overscan screen you use 50 characters for the width, of which 48 are visible on a CPC display, which equals 192 (48x8) pixels in MODE 0 (but remember they are double pixels in this MODE).  The height is set to 34 characters which equals 272 (34x8) pixels.

I'm wondering, would it be possible to make a slideshow on the CPC today, with music playing in the background continuously, without being interrupted by the disc drive, like we see in Orion Prime?

As far as I know, to do a music loader on the CPC is very difficult and I'm not sure if one has ever been developed.  You could try instead using 128k and compressing the screens to see how many you could squeeze in...  8)

MacDeath

BDC-Iron told me that the resolution actually displayed may also vary depending on the monitor, and also if it is "warm or cold".

The more it heats (meaning working enough time) the smaller the pixels may becomes.

Of course such change of size is not that important, but.

Often, the CPC is said to have very little displayed screen.
This is particulary visible with speccy ports and speccy like resolutions.

256x192...(mode1)

This comes from the fact the maximum resolution from CPC is greater than Speccy, so it displays smaller pixels.

As a result, an overscanned (full screened) display in mode 0 can really be impressive and despite the wide pixels, achieve a good fine impression.

BDC-Iron also told me the CPC is unable to get a double vertical resolution thx to scanlines.

Bit of a shame as MSX can.

arnoldemu

Quote from: redbox on 23:39, 07 February 10
As far as I know, to do a music loader on the CPC is very difficult and I'm not sure if one has ever been developed.  You could try instead using 128k and compressing the screens to see how many you could squeeze in...  8)
Yes a musical loader is difficult.
Yes there have been a few but mostly in demos.

The Demo, 5Kb Demo 3, Midline Process, Zap T Balls Advanced Edition (game)
I have also developed one but it is not used yet
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Quote from: redbox on 23:39, 07 February 10
To setup an overscan screen you use 50 characters for the width, of which 48 are visible on a CPC display, which equals 192 (48x8) pixels in MODE 0 (but remember they are double pixels in this MODE).  The height is set to 34 characters which equals 272 (34x8) pixels.
Yes, but some monitors show more than others. But generally 48x34 chars is the size all monitors can show. Others can show a few chars more.
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Yes.

"Midline Process" is effectively a very fancy slideshow.

(Ok so it is reading data from the disc which it is decoding, like say MPEG, but maybe not the same format. And drawing a number of still images to give the impression of animation.)

My games. My Games

eliot

Quote from: mr_lou on 08:50, 07 February 10
Are there any overscan slideshows out there for the CPC?

Odyssey by RSX : http://www.cpc-power.com/cpcdemos/index.php?page=detail&num=143
Crystal by MADE : http://www.cpc-power.com/cpcdemos/index.php?page=detail&num=905
Rebels by MADE, already mentionned by Kevin
Painting Fantasy by REX : http://www.cpc-power.com/cpcdemos/index.php?page=detail&num=1182 (now available!!!)
Arlek Slide Show (mode 1 - rare!) : http://www.cpc-power.com/cpcdemos/index.php?page=detail&num=562

redbox

Grim has a very nice selection of graphics by Beb, MaDe and himself on his website.