News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Power Archive

Started by Travis P, 19:33, 26 March 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis P

I have noticed in the last few months the CPC Power website has been increasing their archive with more CDT and DSK files, as well as more and more cassette inlays and other scans. It's more becoming a sister site to World of Spectrum for the Amstrad scene. Given we already have a CPC Games CD. Will there be anybody who will able to produce a CPC Power archive CD or something similar to download?

Devilmarkus

I'll ask Kukulcan next week.
Maybe he can do that.

(I'm also administrating this website, but it's Kukulcan's decision and I only post new online games there)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

CPCIak

Devilmarkus

I know...
But maybe a CD (iso) could come handy here.
With menu, other functions, etc... ;)

Travis P

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 19:51, 26 March 10
I'll ask Kukulcan next week.
Maybe he can do that.

(I'm also administrating this website, but it's Kukulcan's decision and I only post new online games there)

Thanks Markus. If the site was like NVG, WoS and ADATE which had a separate FTP server then it would've been easy to download a few cassette covers and a few game files while going into every single entry to do this. Which is why a archive CD or a archive download would solve it. Unless Kukulcan wants to adapt the FTP format and set certain download limits, like WoS does at the moment.

EDIT: Oh, wasn't aware the CPC Gamebase also acts as the actual archive, but I agree with Markus. A CD/DVD ISO would be handy.

Travis P

Quote from: CPCIak on 20:04, 26 March 10
You can download the whole CPC-Power Archive directly:
http://www.cpc-power.com/gamebasecpc/index.php?page=full

Does that include, all the cassette covers, scans of posters and instructions as well as the CDT and DSK (modified and original)?

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Travis P on 20:13, 26 March 10

Does that include, all the cassette covers, scans of posters and instructions as well as the CDT and DSK (modified and original)?

Uhmmmm... I don't  know... Kai, do you?

BTW.: Did you know? When you register on cpc-power, you can play many games online! (about 870, more are following)

CPCIak

Yes, of course: DSKs, CDTs, covers, scans of discs/tapes... EVERYTHING

Devilmarkus

Well, I think:
When someone knows how to make a cool CD-menu and creates a DVD, we could ask Kuculcan after, if he agrees to release this...
(I don't know how to create such things)

CPCIak

Please keep in mind: The archive is almost 7GB. You would need a double sided DVD-R for a compilation.
In my opinion Kuculcan should host the files on rapidshare or something else.

Gryzor

What would the DVD menu contain?

I'm downloading the complete archive right now, I guess it has everything. Though, to be honest, I much prefer the interface of CPCGamesCD. If we could mix the two together...

Devilmarkus

I don't like mixing.
CPCGamesCD should be it's own thing.
IMO we need a different menu / style.

Gryzor

You're not getting me; my point is, I don't see why we would need two separate collections. Between the two, I love the ease of use of the CPCGamesCD, along with a few other features, and the completeness of this archive. That's what I'm saying.

What different menu/style do you have in mind?

Cpcmaniaco

The Gamebase CPC are not all the collection of CPC-Power.

Really Gamebase CPC are the collection of Loïc DANEELS.

And Bruno Kukulkan only put his web for download it and take this material for his web.

See this :

http://www.cpc-power.com/gamebasecpc/

The last version (13) of Gamebase CPC has 1306 software.

And CPC-Power has today : 4225 Games , 439 Compilations and 499 Utilities.

Travis P

Quote from: CPCIak on 10:48, 27 March 10
Please keep in mind: The archive is almost 7GB. You would need a double sided DVD-R for a compilation.
In my opinion Kuculcan should host the files on rapidshare or something else.

I think it would be better to set up a FTP server like ADATE and NVG does but set parameters like World of Spectrum to advoid mega leechers.

Gryzor

Should we do a torrent?

nurgle

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:11, 27 March 10
Should we do a torrent?

Good to save bandwith, but only useful if a lot of people keep it running. Usually not the ideal thing for special interest items with a small fanbase.

Anyway: Just go ahead. I can keep it running 24/7.  :)

Gryzor

I will seed it tomorrow, but anyone has a good tracker list I can use?

nurgle

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:55, 27 March 10
I will seed it tomorrow, but anyone has a good tracker list I can use?

We should have a dedicated Tracker for CPC Torrents, shouldn't we?  ;D

Travis P

Quote from: Cpcmaniaco on 12:05, 27 March 10
The Gamebase CPC are not all the collection of CPC-Power.

Really Gamebase CPC are the collection of Loïc DANEELS.

Yes, you're right. I have just downloaded the Gamebase. It's only a fraction of the CPC Power archive. None of the compilations are in the Gamebase as well as a few other files (e.g. only the DSK version of Kettle is there but not the CDT files that can be obtained from CPC Power)

Loïc Daneels

Hi there,
I am the lunatic working on Gamebase CPC :)
CPC-Power & Gamebase CPC are two different projects, even though we share ressources. For my project, I prefer scanning everything myself, so as to maintain a high consistency in presentation.
The advantage with Gamebase CPC is that when you download & install it, everything is ready to go (provided I could dump the original). So you can play the game without messing with INIs or CFGs (aside from a handfull of games) & you get all the original packaging, manuals,...
I guess the project is more geared towards collectors, but gamers can also enjoy what's in there without the headaches of using emulators. Gamers just need to be aware that not all games are included in Gamebase CPC & it takes time to track down original games. That being said, I release new updates (every 100 games added) every month or so, so there are plenty of gems to discover...
Cheers,

Loïc

Gryzor

Morning Loic!

Wonderful to have you here - why don't you register as a regular member? This way your posts won't need approval before they appear!

Your project is vast - frankly, I don't know how you do that, and alone at that!!! But, to be fair towards CPCGamesCD, it needs no fussing at all - I've never touched an ini or cfg file.

The underlying system of the GameBase, however... actually, I never got it fully working, and every time I try to it leaves me feeling stupid!!! I downloaded 1.3 the other day, but didn't have the time to take it for a drive. I did browse through the folders, however, and was mesmerized by the content...

So, thanks so much for your offering! :)

PS Hahaha! This is my 1337th post - I'm leeeeeet!

dlfrsilver

Hello,

I see that for some, the goal is to get everything without any effort...
On our side our goal is to build a database the most complete possible and the more accurate.
This brings out a lot of work, when DSk verifying and adding informations.

We have a little help (Thanks to CPCManiaco, Abraxas, Nich Campbell, Crackers Velus.... apologizes to those i missed)
but we are seeing as a matter of fact that most people asking or criticizing things are not helping.

I'm sorry to announce that there will never be any FTP access nor DVD creation of the cpc-power site.
There is no interest to see our work stored and archived on a DVD that will take the dust afterwards.
This website has been built in order to be the most friendly as possible, members can benefit extra options.

This is Kukulcan's message to the board, now here is my own answer :

Considering we sometimes lack the pokes to finish games and check they are "100% perfect", making a DVD of it is not
the actual thing to do. While i personaly do my best to be sure that the games dumped have no defect, it happens that
sometimes the actual dump of a game proposed is bad.

In this case i redump, but it takes quite some time. Also, please notice that games refered as "100% PARFAIT" are
verified right to the end, and they work with no problems whatsoever.
PS : "100% Parfait" means "100% perfect"

Gryzor

Hello dlfrsilver!
To be frank, I don't know why you took this so hard. The site is amazing and it it the result of an insane amount of work. For that, we are all grateful.
However, this does not mean that one would not like to have all this info offline, at the ease of their homes, and play with it however it pleases them to. Different things. If the latter was not reason enough then we wouldn't have all the packages floating around, covering all sorts of systems.
And yes, I understand that you may strive for perfection, and having everything in working order, and dumping new images all the time etc etc, and it's a very noble thing to do, but it does remind me of the MAME project, when the devs decided to go for 100% accuracy to the detriment of the users. Which means, every offline image would be a temporary snapshot - having non-working dumps in them would be perfectly alright. Also, by the same reasoning, does it mean that when you reach a 100% status, you'll release it as an offline archive? I don't think so...
Since I sense there's some sort of misunderstanding here, please do let me know if you take offense in something that was said, either by me or others...

redbox

CPC Power is an awesome website and I keep looking at it more and more...

A dump would be nice, but I must admit I do like the ever evolving quest for perfection that they are undertaking.  8)