News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Power Archive

Started by Travis P, 19:33, 26 March 10

Previous topic - Next topic

dlfrsilver

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:47, 30 March 10
Hello dlfrsilver!
To be frank, I don't know why you took this so hard. The site is amazing and it it the result of an insane amount of work. For that, we are all grateful.

Thanks for these kind words :)

QuoteHowever, this does not mean that one would not like to have all this info offline, at the ease of their homes, and play with it however it pleases them to. Different things. If the latter was not reason enough then we wouldn't have all the packages floating around, covering all sorts of systems.

CPC-power website is not made, and intented to allow offline-slurping-files(tm). Each game must be picked apart, and that's how things will stay.

QuoteAnd yes, I understand that you may strive for perfection, and having everything in working order, and dumping new images all the time etc etc, and it's a very noble thing to do, but it does remind me of the MAME project, when the devs decided to go for 100% accuracy to the detriment of the users. Which means, every offline image would be a temporary snapshot - having non-working dumps in them would be perfectly alright. Also, by the same reasoning, does it mean that when you reach a 100% status, you'll release it as an offline archive? I don't think so...
Since I sense there's some sort of misunderstanding here, please do let me know if you take offense in something that was said, either by me or others...

No offline archive. You want something, you pick it on the site. Everyday i find dumps that need to be redone, because i got no pokes to finish the game, so personally, no, i don't want to see bad dumps floating around the net in DVD images or things alike.

The way CPC-power was created and considering the size of the actual database, it's too late to rebuild everything from scratch. Kukulcan has a job beside cpc-power, and that's almost a job already. So we will stay in the actual form, but stable :) .

There is no misunderstanding here, and i take no offense ;) It's just that CPC-power webmaster has decided to not go this way. So please respect it :)

ukmarkh

I love the site, especially when browsing for all the games released for a certain year. My only problem is the site doesn't give good coverage for us English speakers, and this puts me off. I'm sure it would have been a better move to have gone with an English only site, as this would have made it more international and accessable.

Despite the above, the bits I have been able to read or translate have been top notch. well done ;-)

redbox

Quote from: ukmarkh on 09:51, 01 April 10
I'm sure it would have been a better move to have gone with an English only site, as this would have made it more international and accessable. 

Typical Brit - learn French  :P

What do you think the French guys speaking on here did?  8)

ukmarkh

Woe-woe-woe-woe! I wasn't being funny, just that the English Language has become the lingua franca for many country's (53 in total) around the world, and is without question the most prominent language from an international business perspective. It is used extensively as a second language and as the official language for the European Union. Many other international organisations speak it also.

Over 400 million of the world population speaks English, that's 1 in 5 (not including America). And there are more English speaking people in China than in the United States of America. I could understand if you said learn Spanish, as 330 million people speak it as a second language, but only around 70 million speak French around the world, that's probably less than the population of the UK.

The British council recently said by the year 2015 3 billion people would be speaking English fluently on Earth.

The math's are there for everyone to see, an English text reaches more people.

Oh and by the way, I can speak Spanish and my wife can speak fluent French, so I'm far from the typical Brit you stereo type me.  :P

Gryzor

Well, *wanting* something to come your way is one thing, not understanding why it doesn't is another :D

What I mean is, we all know how chauvinist etc etc the French are*, but I do respect their decision to keep it in french, even though it may be to the detriment of the community.

*Yes, kidding, stereotyping etc, don't jump onto my jugular please!

ukmarkh

It's great we can all chat regardless of nationality, and more importantly get along. I don't think it's a good idea to be too nationalistic in 2010, and I don't subscribe to this "i'm British 100%" and "we're the best". The Germans and Australians have proven that we're not on many sporting occasions, instead I consider myself a lucky b@stard to even be alive, let alone travel the earth.

8)

dlfrsilver

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:01, 01 April 10
Well, *wanting* something to come your way is one thing, not understanding why it doesn't is another :D

What I mean is, we all know how chauvinist etc etc the French are*, but I do respect their decision to keep it in french, even though it may be to the detriment of the community.

*Yes, kidding, stereotyping etc, don't jump onto my jugular please!

It has nothing to do with being french in itself. All the website interface is in english, what more do you want ? I have impulsed on my own
the fact that CPC games lacked originals dumped, on both D7 and K7. We mainly had back cracks, and corrupted files when 2 years ago
i join what was before CPC games and Phenix informatique, and then CPC-power.

Just look the result, i had hard times to dump some games that were never available in original format, i had to contact Simon Owen because the DSK format even in it's extended version was not able to contains some game protections.

I have bought and tracked down on the net as much original as we needed, and then when others saw the job done, they have joined us, (french guys (loic DANEELS for example), spanish guys (our dear fellows Abraxas, CNGSOFT, Deepfb, Miguelsky,etc) , brits like Nich Campbell, etc, etc).

Now the result is here. We have the biggest Database that has ever existed for the amstrad CPC. We rose from 2200 sheets to 4236 games, 439 compilations and 565 utilities.

Everything started when i saw that some games were not running in emulators, and i said to myself, what the fuck with this ? i then noticed that SAMDISK was not able to process some huge tracks, and the loriciel protection.

This has led Simon Owen to work out SAMDISK, and then i have been able to image the games or tools correctly (physical faults apart).

After processing much tape games (500+) with most protections, and even some incredible and unattended ones, and game disks.

The result is all here, thanks to Kukulcan for his tremendous job on CPC-power (ex-CPCgames), we have rose from a sleeping CPC communauty,
to something rich and varied, with a lot of extra rare CPC games out of the woods, and we continue our extension.

The goal for me is to do the same i did for the amiga or ST, bring out as much preserved software as possible, i guess my mission will be once again a success :D !!!

ivarf

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:11, 01 April 10
 "i'm British 100%" and "we're the best". The Germans and Australians have proven that we're not on many sporting occasions,  8)
So true, UK won only one gold medal in the last olympic games

ukmarkh

Eh?

Quote from: ivarf on 16:18, 01 April 10
So true, UK won only one gold medal in the last olympic games

Travis P

Thanks dlfrsilver for the info. Applaud you for getting Every Second Counts uploaded today.

dlfrsilver

@TravisP : LMAO ! What a crap game !

Cholo

Well, my deepest concern is keeping all your hard work safe. After the zone went down i must admit i been getting a bit more paranoid about things vanishing. Nearly had an accident when my shortcut to Phenix-informatique suddenly didnt work one day  ;D

I totally understand that you dont want to make a huge archive available for download, but please do promise me that at least one or two key people at least has a backup of the site (so that we can all sleep well at night)  ;)

dlfrsilver

It's the case. Kukulcan make incremented backups of the website, so don't worry, And on my side, i have on my PC all the files i have made
and convert ;)

So everyone can be quiet :D !