News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC6128 to 6128+ Upgrade?

Started by JadedLemon, 20:06, 30 January 21

Previous topic - Next topic

JadedLemon

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to build a plug-in upgrade for CPC6128 to make it think it is a 6128+?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of taking the ASIC chip from a plus machine or the GX4000 (that sounds more like some dodgy vacuum cleaner model than a games console) and a ROM based version of B-ASIC and building a plug-in upgrade to the CPC6128 expansion port, so that the added features of the ASIC could be used via B-ASIC in a regular CPC program.

B-ASIC - CPCWiki

Can anyone tell me if this would be possible, and if so what would be needed?
If not possible, can somebody explain why it wouldn't be possible?

When you read this please don't just laugh at my naiveté - explain.

JadedLemon

I forgot to mention. The upgrade wouldn't need to be able to use cartridges if that makes it any easier.

Bryce

Nope, that doesn't make it any easier :D The ASIC needs multiple signals and connections that aren't on the expansion port. Even internally it would be almost impossible to add the ASIC. It would require the removal or de-activation of many chips and quite a few new parts too. The final result would be a CPC+ beaten onto the wrong PCB.

Bryce.

eto

What would be the benefit to get the ASIC from a Plus and put it into the CPC? You always would have to sacrifice a GX or Plus to upgrade a CPC. Or is the ASIC a chip which is available?

Bryce

Nope. The only place to get an ASIC is to remove it from a working CPC+ or GX4000.

Bryce.

ComSoft6128

So the ASIC chip can't be duplicated?

Bryce

It could be, just no one has done it yet.

Bryce.

dragon

Really, Steve gane commented in her day he have the sun tapes in the garaje (or something like that).

But he not appears much retro  cpc friendly because he can understand someone want the design.

And then  he dissappear. 

JadedLemon

Quote from: eto on 08:37, 31 January 21What would be the benefit to get the ASIC from a Plus and put it into the CPC? You always would have to sacrifice a GX or Plus to upgrade a CPC. Or is the ASIC a chip which is available?

To be honest if it were possible to do, I would gladly sacrifice a GX4000 in order to get an ASIC chip.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: JadedLemon on 20:06, 30 January 21
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to build a plug-in upgrade for CPC6128 to make it think it is a 6128+?

The ASIC chip that does all the work in the Plus/GX has a huge amount of pins on it and takes over a load of functions from discrete components on a normal CPC's board. If you look at it next to earlier machines you can see it's a generation on from a normal CPC's chips.

People have done these huge projects but I suspect you'd end up with a mess of wires with stuff all over the 6128's board rather than something that plugged into the back. I suspect (and Bryce will probably confirm this) you don't have access to all the hook in points you'll need on the expansion bus either.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 20:59, 30 January 21
Nope, that doesn't make it any easier :D The ASIC needs multiple signals and connections that aren't on the expansion port. Even internally it would be almost impossible to add the ASIC. It would require the removal or de-activation of many chips and quite a few new parts too. The final result would be a CPC+ beaten onto the wrong PCB.

Bryce.

There you go. Put far better than I could!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Skunkfish

Quote from: JadedLemon on 17:35, 31 January 21
To be honest if it were possible to do, I would gladly sacrifice a GX4000 in order to get an ASIC chip.

In a way it's possible to achieve this, but by turning the GX4000 into a fully fledged computer and taking the keyboard from another CPC:

http://cpctech.cpc-live.com/docs/mods/gx2plus.html
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)