News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCZone - way forward?

Started by khisanth, 20:43, 29 July 09

Previous topic - Next topic

khisanth

Okay so it seems that Malc has given up the ghost with CPCZone. As far as I am aware he has not made any statements regarding the future of it.

SO can we reignite the CPCZone and get it back up and running? Do we have the skills, time and patience to run it ourselves? Would Malc let us?!

I dont want to see the top CPC website rot away into fading memory.   :(

Anyone got any ideas or thoughts?

Gryzor

Heya Khisanth,

This has been discussed numerous times before... and it's entirely up to Malc. I wish he would make the data available for use in another site, though whether he'd be inclined to pass the entire Zone over to someone else, I doubt it for some reason. Unfortunately. And since Malc has disappeared for quite some time, I really don't know what to think.

Btw, you may have heard the news about Kangaroo withdrawing support from CPC projects, including this site. I just wanted to reassure you, nothing will be lost, and we're preparing to move hosts sooner rather than later. If nothing else, as discussed elsewhere, before I ever gave this site up, I'd pass the entirety of it over to somebody else. JFYI.

khisanth

cheers gryzor , just wanted to see if anything had changed.

Kangaroo? they the host for cpcwiki?

Gryzor

Kangaroo, yes, he's been hosting the Wiki up to now.

khisanth

was he hosting it on his own machine or made an account for it with an ISP?

Gryzor

Kangaroo has a hosting company, so the Wiki is on one of its servers right now.

khisanth

ah okay. well we can always sort something out if he ditches cpcwiki

Gryzor

Well, I think he will - he's on vacation now (I think) and I've sent him an email asking him to at least give us ownership of the cpcwiki.com domain (I guess he will), but he'll drop hosting. No matter, already things have been resolved to some extend, so except for a little downtime we shouldn't have major problems...

...unless the transfer is done just before I go on vacation, in which case the site will go down for a couple of weeks.

zeropolis79

If it comes to it, I'm prepared to help write and start up a suceessor to the Zone.. The Wiki is a good thing but the CPC needs it's own World of Spectrum and Lemon64..

Gryzor

Well, I certainly agree with what you say. On the other hand, and given the size of the scene, I think that having a one-stop site would probably be better. I'm considering, of course, the Wiki's expansion in some ways.

Now it may sound egoistical, but I'm not thinking it this way - if nothing else, I wouldn't and couldn't do it alone, so there would have to be one more more co-owners and admins...