News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Disczines

Started by ComSoft6128, 17:31, 21 January 20

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Hi,

I'm hoping to start making videos of the UK and European CPC Disczines in the near future and I'd like any recommendations from members.

Best for content?
Best for graphics?
Best for lies, libel and general scene gossip? :o

Any thoughts are welcome.

Cheers,

Peter

Link:

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Category:Disczine

mr_lou

Um, why aren't Ovation on that list?
https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=7689

Is there any difference between a diskmag and a disczine?

villain

Take a look at Bad Mag and Scoop Poop.

mr_lou

Quote from: villain on 18:34, 21 January 20

Yea, I remember liking Bad Mag quite a lot.

....why don't we have a running diskmag anymore?  :(

GUNHED

Quote from: villain on 18:34, 21 January 20
Which is which? And what's the difference?

Quote from: mr_lou on 18:35, 21 January 20
Cause..... people are too lazy to write texts for them.  :(
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

robcfg

To be honest, I don't have time for anything, having a 6 year old kid.

That's the same reason to not listen to podcasts or watch youtube and twitch streams.

I do appreciate the work behind every single one, but for me is either listening/watching or doing assembly programming, and have almost no time for that either...

mr_lou

Quote from: robcfg on 20:15, 21 January 20
To be honest, I don't have time for anything, having a 6 year old kid.

I can relate.
But one gotta prioritize.  :)
And diskmags is something I'd choose - if there were any.

robcfg

Definitely!

I just wanted to share my reasons for not being into them  ;)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: mr_lou on 18:35, 21 January 20
Yea, I remember liking Bad Mag quite a lot.

Probably because it's 2020.  :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

mr_lou

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 22:03, 21 January 20
Probably because it's 2020.  :laugh:

It's 2020, and we're all playing Pinball Dreams on our Amstrad CPC.

Diskmags are nostalgic and cosy. We should have diskmags in 2020.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: mr_lou on 22:40, 21 January 20
It's 2020, and we're all playing Pinball Dreams on our Amstrad CPC.

PD has a purpose. It's addictive and entertaining as hell.

QuoteDiskmags are nostalgic and cosy. We should have diskmags in 2020.

Guess that's your cue to get cracking on the next 8BM then, eh?  ;)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

mr_lou

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 22:53, 21 January 20Guess that's your cue to get cracking on the next 8BM then, eh?  ;)

8-bit Memoirs isn't technically a diskmag. It just looks like one. And hopefully has the same feel.
But it's an eBook, written by a single person.

I wouldn't mind using the engine for an actual diskmag though, if I could find 2-3 other people who'd jump on board.
I could look into porting it to web too, so we'd have a disc version and an online web version.
Disc version for those who loves physical media and prefer watching 50fps videos on a 50hz-compatibel screen.
Online version for those who just wanna read on their PC or tablet and don't care about a proper match between framerate and refreshrate.

But wouldn't it be more proper if it ran on the CPC? Then it would be @Optimus we should lure into reviving the Ovation engine instead.

Of course, the advantage with a non-CPC version is that we could include videos. We could even include DSK files that you could load on your CPC using M4 card straight from the disc or webserver.

GUNHED

Quote from: robcfg on 20:15, 21 January 20
I do appreciate the work behind every single one, but for me is either listening/watching or doing assembly programming, and have almost no time for that either...

Same here.  :) :) :)

However some guys have plenty of time, but they can't code/paint/compose - so they could at least contribute to disc mags (or similar).
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

GUNHED

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:21, 21 January 20
And diskmags is something I'd choose - if there were any.

Still working on some tools I do need to create the 5th issue of FutureView. Shall be released probably in one year. Articles are welcome every time, but nothing which gets outdated. So issue V will come - one day.  :)

tastefulmrship

Quote from: GUNHED on 10:18, 22 January 20
However some guys have plenty of time, but they can't code/paint/compose - so they could at least contribute to disc mags (or similar). However, they often use their time to bitch at others productions instead.

mr_lou

Quote from: GUNHED on 10:22, 22 January 20
Still working on some tools I do need to create the 5th issue of FutureView. Shall be released probably in one year. Articles are welcome every time, but nothing which gets outdated. So issue V will come - one day.  :)

My hat off to you for being the only one in the CPC community who's working on anything diskmag related.
But FutureView needs a few important elements to be a proper diskmag in my opinion.
For one thing, a diskmag must absolutely have cosy relaxing background music. And it must also have some warm cosy colours.
The current white on black with nothing but silence just isn't inviting.

I don't mean to sound offensive.

We need to have an atmosphere similar to what Bad Mag and Ovation has.

The design must be attractive and appealing. And the topics also gotta be about more than just the technical stuff. It's gotta have some social aspects too. Many different kinds of topics related to our generation.

GUNHED

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:38, 22 January 20
My hat off to you for being the only one in the CPC community who's working on anything diskmag related.
But FutureView needs a few important elements to be a proper diskmag in my opinion.
For one thing, a diskmag must absolutely have cosy relaxing background music. And it must also have some warm cosy colours.

... And the topics also gotta be about more than just the technical stuff. It's gotta have some social aspects too. Many different kinds of topics related to our generation.
Playing songs is planned to be.
Colors? Need sombody helping with that, but shall be doable.
Topics? Yes, that's the problem as we know. I always had plenty of meeting reports, but anything else needs to come from the community. Can't write even more by myself. Don't want to be it a one man text collection ;-)

Gryzor

Post above edited to remove baiting. Calm down.

SOS

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:46, 22 January 20
We could even include DSK files that you could load on your CPC using M4 card straight from the disc

I don't want to be picky, but you can now also use XMASS + Symbiface 3 to use DSK-files :D

mr_lou

Quote from: SOS on 10:35, 23 January 20
I don't want to be picky, but you can now also use XMASS + Symbiface 3 to use DSK-files :D

Must admit I have no experience with XMASS, so not sure we're talking about the same thing.

What I mean is that M4 can load files via HTTP, as far as I know.
So if a diskmag was on a blu-ray disc, and both the blu-ray player and the M4 was connected to the same LAN, then you could load these files directly onto your CPC from the disc in the blu-ray player.
And the same of course goes if it was an online solution.

SOS

Quote from: mr_lou on 11:26, 23 January 20
What I mean is that M4 can load files via HTTP, as far as I know.
So if a diskmag was on a blu-ray disc, and both the blu-ray player and the M4 was connected to the same LAN, then you could load these files directly onto your CPC from the disc in the blu-ray player.
Okidoki  ::)
At the moment ( ;) ) you need to put the DSK's on the storage-medium of your SF3.
and "not" at the moment, the same for XMASS.

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

mr_lou

Quote from: TotO on 11:37, 23 January 20
:o

What?
It makes a lot of sense to use a platform like that, to be able to keep and preserve it. Physical media that gives options for smooth video.
ISO file can be played with software media players, or hardware media centers, and players like the gaming consoles.
But as I also said, a webversion could also be made.

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: Gunhed
However, they often use their time to bitch at others productions instead.

Dude, have you SEEN discmags? They are 50% demoscene-level coding, 20% news & gossip, and 30% bitching about other discmag people. :D

In all seriousness though, I've been considering making a discmag for quite a while now; just to see if I could. Maybe I'll take this thread as the kick up the backside I needed to actually get on with it.

mr_lou

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 15:29, 23 January 20
Dude, have you SEEN discmags? They are 50% demoscene-level coding, 20% news & gossip, and 30% bitching about other discmag people. :D

Only bad diskmags.  ;)
Good diskmags are cosy and pleasent to read.

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 15:29, 23 January 20
In all seriousness though, I've been considering making a discmag for quite a while now; just to see if I could. Maybe I'll take this thread as the kick up the backside I needed to actually get on with it.

I've been pondering about doing one in BASIC too. But nah....

I wish we could make a diskmag project as a community, instead of having multiple people doing their own thing. But I guess that will always be a consequence of having different opinions on how it should be done.