News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Disczines

Started by ComSoft6128, 17:31, 21 January 20

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 16:15, 25 January 20
There's a quick update on the 'zine code, with a video showing how it currently works, on the Amstrad CPC 464 Facebook group. :)

I don't use Facebook.......

Zoe Robinson

I can't upload the video here and I crashed Twitter when I tried to send it there, which is why I stuffed it on Facebook.

mr_lou

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 16:19, 25 January 20
I can't upload the video here and I crashed Twitter when I tried to send it there, which is why I stuffed it on Facebook.

But you posted it in a closed group.  :(

Zoe Robinson

I've now managed to get the video onto Twitter; by cutting off the final portion where I mentioned that sound support isn't coded yet.
Here's a link to the video. :)

mr_lou

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 17:34, 25 January 20
I've now managed to get the video onto Twitter; by cutting off the final portion where I mentioned that sound support isn't coded yet.
Here's a link to the video. :)

Nice! That does give a teletext vibe indeed!
All it needs is some chillin' relaxing music to go with it.  :)

Zoe Robinson

I'm thinking of coding more of an ear worm than relaxing music. None of that "pages from Ceefax" crap for me, I want people humming that bastard forever!! Mwahahahaha!

*ahem*

Yeah, I'll probably go for something relaxing that doesn't take away from the experience. :)

mr_lou

So what topics will it have?
Are you taking suggestions?
Or are you gonna write all the content yourself?

Zoe Robinson

I'm absolutely taking suggestions. Right now the content I have planned (most of which I'll write myself unless someone else wants to step in) is:

1. Editorial
2. News
3. Recent game reviews
4. Retro game reviews (hidden gems, overlooked oddities, etc)
5. A Comic (mostly because I want to see what I can manage using just internal symbols)
6. Letters page

mr_lou

There should probably be an "Off topic" one, for other non-CPC topics. Could be about other tech for example. Or a joke collection. Anything non-serious.

And then maybe another off-topic category for more personal / serious topics, about everyday stuff. Relevant to our generation who grew up with the CPC.
Not sure what to call it. Maybe "Everyday life".
Could be something that lets us get to know each other better.
It should never be about religion or politics though of course.

Zoe Robinson

Okay, work on the 'zine slowed down a little because I've been so very, very ill ('flu jabs don't make you immune to all 'flu, which is really annoying). Here's the layout of the title screen so far. This menu may end up becoming two pages at this rate; just to fit the name of the games in!

There is now an off-topic page; which is in the 'regulars' section after the comic. Feel free to send in anything you fancy seeing in the 'zine, of course. For the most part, I'm hopeful of still hitting the target of releasing by the end of this week.

Zoe Robinson

Block 9 issue 1 is nearing completion. All the reviews are finished and the 'zine will launch with a small, free game ('Virgo 1') to go with it.

As you can see from the screenshot, there will be a links section; which I'm hoping to fill with really cool URLs for really cool CPC stuff. If you know of a great CPC website or YouTube page, please let me know and I'll see about putting it into the 'zine. :)

Also, there's still space on the letters page and the Off Topic section if anyone fancies writing in! :D

Gryzor

I know of a great CPC site!😄

Lovely, looking forward to it!

Zoe Robinson

I kind of already had CPCWiki in the list...

Zoe Robinson

On a related note, I'm considering writing my own tune for the diskzine but then I started down the whole rabbit hole of MOD files from when I was into soundtracker and all that. I pulled out an old copy of Airdance by The Wizard (from sometime around 1992-3, as I recall so it was from very early after I jumped to the PC from the CPC) and my goodness, doesn't this sound great when converted to the CPC on Arkos Tracker? I'm constantly amazed at how versatile the AY chip is.

Targhan

Well, your song uses 4 channels, it's a lot :). But the included player allows only 3 channels. Don't forget the CPC limitation :).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Zoe Robinson

Gah, I uploaded the wrong version. I noticed the 4 channel thing and converted it down to 3 channels but it sounds damn good just the same.

Zoe Robinson

The Disczine, Block 9, is almost complete. I'm just coding the comic now; then I've got maybe one more thing to add in before I'm done. Then I'll release it tomorrow, if I get the pack-in game finished. :)

In the mean time, here's the first panel of the comic, to keep you amused while you wait...

Targhan

You certainly are a very productive person!!
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Zoe Robinson

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 00:38, 01 February 20You certainly are a very productive person!!

I was gonna post something along those lines too.
Here I have been complaining about a criminal lack of diskmags for over a decade. And then you go ahead and make one in just a couple of weeks.

It looks good and promising and it's been a while since a thread here was this interesting to me.

I do fear though that it might be a bit too rushed. And that it results in too many grammar and spelling errors, and not enough content from 3rd party authors. And that the music will feel a bit sloppy. That could ruin the whole feel.

I'd love to see this become more of a community project than a single-person project. Like, hook up with @Skunkfish for example, and get some music and content from various community members.
But I know perfectly well from personal experience that'll result in a lot of wait time for people to deliver something, so....   a single-person it is!
I would probably have done that too if I'd had the time.

But I still hope that when people see this first issue, they'll send you some content for future issues. (There'll be future issues, right?)  :)

Zoe Robinson

Yes, I would love other people to get involved but you've hit the nail on the head with the wait time issue. I'm very much of the opinion that having an issue or two out and available will spur others on to submit items far better than "hey, this is coming - please contribute!" would. I'm pushing forward so that the zine is here and ready to receive submissions.

Zoe Robinson

Issue 1 of the Disk Zine is now available on the wiki from http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Block_9

The pack-in game, Virgo 1, is not yet complete as I've been laid up for the last few days with a really bad 'flu. It will get released ASAP and then join the 'zine on the disk.

Gryzor

Reading the letters right now and going through it, a great distraction for the work break :) :)

Love how Virgo 1, once completed, can be launched from within the 'zine!

I also like how navigation is done like teletext, but is it slightly buggy? If I press a number this number should be automatically passed to the selector. Instead the first keypress is ignored...?

Thanks for your work :)

Zoe Robinson

Yes, the keypress thing for dialing a page is annoying but I couldn't work out a way to sort it. Maybe it's because I was ill. It'll be solved for issue 2.

I'm glad you enjoyed the 'zine though. :)

Gryzor

I see. Then how about maybe making it a four-digit number, beginning with zero? That way you could catch and then ignore the first keypress!