News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
C

The Zone : Data etc.

Started by CPC Zone, 19:13, 17 March 10

Previous topic - Next topic

redbox

I think I'm getting a bit of a raw deal here - my first reply post was  a bit sarcastic, but nothing compared to what others had written about  the matter in the previous thread and therefore I didn't think it was  ill-formed.  It certainly was not 'bullying' or 'horrible'.

After  that, my posts were merely pointing out that if someone had the good  of the community in mind, then their actions would demonstrate this. 

What  has happened though is that I was called a 'dickhead' by Malc and he  stormed off again without any reply, once again taking everyone's data  with him.  This is simply a repeat of his previous behaviour, no?

Again,  I apologise if I mis-interpreted the tone of the thread(s), but this  sort of thing is just very annoying and it makes it all the much nicer  to have a community where this sort of rubbish isn't involved.

Infact, if the data is that valuable, then I'll happily pay the £60 a month for a UK dedicated server to host it.

ukmarkh

None of us are angels in this, but you kinda started it by suggesting Malc was on a stupid power trip, and even suggested he gets back in his hole.

All I'm saying is we move on, and Malc does the same.

redbox

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:37, 22 March 10
None of us are angels in this, but you kinda started it by suggesting Malc was on a stupid power trip, and even suggested he gets back in his hole.

Well, it's clear now he was and yes, a hole is the best place for that.

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:37, 22 March 10
All I'm saying is we move on, and Malc does the same.

Amen to that.  :)

CPCOxygen

I know I got into this conversation late but I would like to let Malc know that I have a leased server in Dublin with gigabytes upon gigabytes of free space. If he want to host CPC Zone on that I will be more than happy to offer the space, and yes it can handle PHP and mySQL, it's a Linux based server with cpanel and all the other good stuff.

The space isn't being used and I would love to offer it to help get such a great website back online.

John
Eight Bit Magazine The Number One Magazine for the 8-Bits.

Retro Format New Games - Old Hardware.

cpc4eva

Quote from: CPCOxygen on 14:06, 26 March 10
I know I got into this conversation late but I would like to let Malc know that I have a leased server in Dublin with gigabytes upon gigabytes of free space. If he want to host CPC Zone on that I will be more than happy to offer the space, and yes it can handle PHP and mySQL, it's a Linux based server with cpanel and all the other good stuff.

The space isn't being used and I would love to offer it to help get such a great website back online.

John

there is a saying in aussie rules footy that the coaches tell their players its "go for the ball and not the man"  ive been brought up on this quote all my life.  Keeps me focused on the most important things.... and thus leads me to the next quote...

well to quote a line from mickey in rocky 2 "What are we waiting for?"    :) ;)

translation =  lets get the cpc zone back up without any more delays.

i always say CPC4EVA!!!

Gryzor

Xyphoe

Hi Malc,

I'm sure I've tried to contact you before.
I can host the site and database. I have a range of servers at my disposal.
It helps being a sysadmin at one of the UK's largest web hosts ;)

I don't think I have the time to build up a CPC Zone site from scratch, however a lot of my time is spent stopping scripting hacks and fixing security holes in PHP, etc anyway... but with existing PHP code I reckon I'll be able to lick it into shape and use it as a base to build on. I would invite contributers to work on the site also and not hold it just for myself - I would like to make it a community project, for at least it would take the pressure off of me or whoever takes over it.

All you need to do is PM me some stats such as monthly/hourly bandwidth, database size would be useful and anything else the site needs on a server that perhaps wouldn't be in a standard Linux build (eg additional PHP modules, etc) and we can get the ball rolling.

I would encourage you to let me know as soon as you can though, as one of my larger servers I own I was thinking of closing up as the primary project on there is no more.

Cheers!

Xyphoe

Quote from: CPC Zone on 22:35, 17 March 10
has anyone built anything online to replace it? if it took no time to build up then it would've been done by now.

I think though that is a little unfair, I've toyed with the idea of building a new CPC game base site from scratch ... but whats stopped me? The fact that the CPC Zone database exists out there and could suddenly be resurrected at any point! I could spend months starting from scratch to find all that work pretty much wasted. I do appreciate of course, and it has to be said - the site you built was awesome!! And far farrr better than say Worldofspecturm and Lemon64. It was something CPC fans could be proud of certainly.

Gryzor

Mate, I think by now it's very clear that hosting is not the issue keeping the data offline. You'd have to hack your way through Malc's ego to get it... :(

ukmarkh

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:41, 12 April 10
Mate, I think by now it's very clear that hosting is not the issue keeping the data offline. You'd have to hack your way through Malc's ego to get it... :(

You can't say that!

Gryzor

Quote from: ukmarkh on 15:58, 12 April 10

You can't say that!

Well, I just did, didn't I?

I mean, I've stood up for Malc time and again, both in public and personam messages, but at the end of the day the issue appears to be clear: he's not giving it up until we kiss his feet, preferably to the tune of Thriller or something. Do you have other conclusions you have reached?

ukmarkh

For all we know, Malc might have been to hell and back? I think we should all reserve judgement, at least until the guy has had a proper chance to explain himself.

Just because he's stopped supporting the CPC, doesn't mean we should be nasty about him, I mean c'mon... what he originally did with the Zone was good, and the world finally saw how good the CPC actually was. His site and the Amstrad CPC in general are better known for it, and the retro community now understood how good a machine it actually was. I'd personally like to see Malc return, but this time as part of its community, and help in other ways by supporting this great and other forums.   

Gryzor

I see what you're saying, and I've said that in the past more than once, but it doesn't answer to the situation at hand. Which is:

-Many users had had problems with Malc in the Zone in cases they didn't bend backwards, so Malc's ego was known before the problems came
-Of course he gave a tremendous lot to the scene - and then he took it all away
-Personal problems notwithstanding, he could at least have gotten back to the several requests he had on the issue of the Zone data (some of them coming from myself)
-He came, he saw people are criticising his stance and he left again.

And all this has nothing to do with his superb efforts and amazing results. Two different issues there...

Xyphoe

I'm refraining from personal comments on the past, the key thing is getting the data.

Malc, if you're reading this - I guess you just have to understand that some people are upset and annoyed mostly (a) because we're very passionate people about our favourite computer (most retro gamers are!) and (b) because they invested so much time and contributions of their own whether it be just being part of the forum or providing materials to the site - no matter how small that is - to have it all snatched away without explanation it's hard to swallow. Sometimes these things just become bigger than one person. It then starts becoming personal, because that's just the nature of this. There's so many recent examples of this, even against much loved figures. I'm also thinking of when Andy/Reallocomaniac just closed his YouTube channel, the website and forum and deleted all his videos - people got really angry and nasty and caused a shit storm- but he returned a while later, apologised because of personal circumstances (he didn't need to go into details) and everyone accepted it, moved on and happy with him. Now he's started putting up his videos again and it's like it never happened.

Getting the data to someone, anyone, no matter who would certain redeem yourself in the eyes of your critics and everyone can go away happy. I'm sure you would be fully credited very clearly for all your hard work on a new site, but I guess the further time moves on people get more and more annoyed...

Xyphoe

*BUMP*

Oh dear, looks like he hasn't logged on since his last reply.

Malc - can we have an update please mate?