News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Genuine Amsoft?

Started by chinnyhill10, 00:44, 18 February 17

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Someone sent me some photos of some 3 inch discs. The labels look different to every other Amsoft disc I have. All my labels have side 1 and side 2, not A and B. Anyone reckon these are the counterfeits that were known to be knocking around in the 90's that were unreliable?

They also came in a carton of 10 with no sleeves. Again when I used to buy them in cartons they came in jewel cases in the earlier days or later in cardboard sleeves.

Anyone have any idea?
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Axelay

I dont know if it's genuine or not, but I'd suspect not.  The label is quite different, and not just the side A/B instead of 1/2.  It doesn't have a grey strip along the bottom edge, or mention it's a CF2 either.  Also, every Amsoft blank I've ever bought also came with the label already attached to the disc.

Amsoft discs also had nice easily accessible write protect tabs, with one visible on each disc side.  This disc looks to have more awkward ones like the ones on Maxell discs, where you have to poke something 'sharp' in the top to slide the write protect tab across.

Maybe in the 'last days' Amstrad had to change supplier... I dont know, but I've never seen one like that before either and I would assume it's not genuine because of all the differences.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Axelay on 04:47, 18 February 17

Maybe in the 'last days' Amstrad had to change supplier... I dont know, but I've never seen one like that before either and I would assume it's not genuine because of all the differences.

That's what I'm thinking. Never seen Amsoft floppies like this one and I have heard rumours of counterfeit ones.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Nich

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 00:44, 18 February 17
Someone sent me some photos of some 3 inch discs. The labels look different to every other Amsoft disc I have. All my labels have side 1 and side 2, not A and B. Anyone reckon these are the counterfeits that were known to be knocking around in the 90's that were unreliable?

Yes, they are definitely not genuine, and I know from personal experience that they are unreliable.

I can tell they aren't genuine because the labels look different, and also because of the 'grid' pattern on the disc itself.

||C|-|E||

I have quite a few of these in Spain, but I don't remember their source or sources. I am sure that some came from flea markets, and some others were borrowed and never returned, or exchanged. What I am not sure is if I bought some of these new too, because they are really really awfully familiar to me.

VincentGR

This is what I have (pic not mine).
I don't have mine here though to take a photo.

Nich

Quote from: Nich on 11:49, 18 February 17
I can tell they aren't genuine because the labels look different, and also because of the 'grid' pattern on the disc itself.

I forgot that genuine Amsoft discs also have a 'grid' pattern on them. However, the counterfeit discs have a grey, horizontally sliding write protect tab instead of a white vertically sliding tab like that shown in the image that @VincentGR uploaded.

VincentGR

Mine were all with white protection tabs  :-X

vasilisk

These are the discs that I have. The one with amstrad game is part of a set that came with the amstrad itself when I bought it back in the 80s. The case is from the disc with the "grid pattern"

-B-

I have some original games disks where the Amsoft label can be seen underneath the game label. At first you think "is this a fake?" but it can't be, I bought it in a shop.

-B-

chinnyhill10

Just to revive this, the guy who owned the box of counterfeit floppies has now sent them to me and I did a quick thing on Periscope.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lDxLkOwkyPJm

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube