News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GFX art

Started by Railslave, 22:35, 24 February 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Railslave

Hi, I'm very much interested in contributing to the scene via art but where do I post, is there a gallery?

Please don't take this too seriously, but it was just an exercise to get myself accustomed to the cpc palette once again (been using exclusivly c64 for a few years now [size=78%]http://csdb.dk/scener/?id=29222[/size] )

mr_lou

Very nice!

Currently, we do as you've done here: Create a thread on the forum.

But there's been talk about creating a specific place here on the CPCwiki where people can post creations they are offering "up for grabs" so to speak. E.g. graphics and music that gamedevs can just use freely.

@Gryzor was looking into it. Don't know how far he's gotten.

I suppose maybe it could be as simple as another subforum. So different creations will simply have its own thread, just like sales threads on Amibay and such. Then when something is used by someone, it'll get the prefix "USED" or something like that.

Gryzor

@Railslave : indeed, a thread of your own is probably the best option - and thanks for sharing :)

@mr_lou : not far indeed, still waiting for people's suggestions...

I think a couple of wiki pages would be better for what you describe, but fewer people tend to edit wiki pages. So yeah, maybe a subforum, if enough people are interested - that's very easy to do but I don't want to burden the forum with something that stays unused.

Railslave

deleted

Railslave

]

All recent art (The dawn of Kernel concepts and final)

rexbeng

Great use of perspective and interesting choices of colours. But wait; I thought you didnt like the CPC palette at all?!  :P

Nich

Obviously I'm very much looking forward to the release of The Dawn of Kernel. I really like the design of the final loading screen (the third image), but IMO, the choice of colours makes it look ghastly to my eyes. It would be interesting to read what @GFXOR thinks.

Railslave

Quote from: rexbeng on 17:18, 31 March 18
Great use of perspective and interesting choices of colours. But wait; I thought you didnt like the CPC palette at all?!  :P

Well, it was my childhood pc and i was pretty happy pixeling away for the C64 until I started this little gig (Kernel). I fell in love with the CPC colors (and there potential for blending in particular) all over again

It's been giving me a huge internal struggle but i really had a ton of fun doing these and felt the need to outright quit the c64 scene to support my team.

https://twitter.com/ASIC0451/status/980074701635702784

I will be bringing over some of the sensibilities I've learned from the absolute master in that scene though :)

I guess I have a lot of proving to do, only happy to do that.

Railslave

Quote from: Nich on 17:40, 31 March 18
Obviously I'm very much looking forward to the release of The Dawn of Kernel. I really like the design of the final loading screen (the third image), but IMO, the choice of colours makes it look ghastly to my eyes. It would be interesting to read what @GFXOR thinks.

I approached the last couple like a sort of 3d tech demo, so everything was done with an attention to the sorts of lighting in something ike the doom 3 engine :P , (+ rim/ambient ect)
The actual fire is the exact unchanged technique I used to use on my CPC when I was 8  :P (GPAINT from Amstrad Action cover tape)

I used the shading extensively to create a few midtones and emphasize the action a bit.

Sorry to hear this doesn't rock your world  :P

Carnivius

Quote from: Railslave on 17:03, 31 March 18

All recent art (The dawn of Kernel concepts and final)

These are all really well done but yeah the third one is absolutely gorgeous and I love the colour usage. That's one of my fave things about the CPC palette is that it's varied enough that people use it in all sorts of different ways.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Railslave

Thanks Carnivius, as you know you're a huge inspiration and when people search CPC  the flag you are flying for the system is truly a site to behold :)  It inspires us all to step up 

Railslave

mock up for a game i was making for PC, got a bit bored after level one. I think it's an interesting premise though, something you might not expect on a CPC... any takers ?

The premise:
Via comic cells you learn that you are a guy that's been left behind on a toxic alien world, after some kind of botched expedition. 
The only thing keeping you going is the letter you write to your daughter "Orchid".

As the toxins take effect you start to collapse and in you delirium the constellations come alive  and you assume control of the constellation of the cowgirl (that you used to show your daughter).
She is fighting to reach you in time. When she kills stuff they explode in orchid flowers which you mysteriously start seeing irl... spooky !!

Game kind of plays like Nemesis with a six shooter and reload mechanics, forcing you to be a bit more tactical.

Original

Gryzor

These screens wouldn't look half bad as posters on a wall :)

@Railslave : the mockup looks fantastic, but I'd guess a bit demanding for a CPC? :)

Railslave

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:14, 06 April 18
These screens wouldn't look half bad as posters on a wall :)

@Railslave : the mockup looks fantastic, but I'd guess a bit demanding for a CPC? :)

Wouldn't know, but i have 2 colors spare, that is only 14 colors :P
I purposefully put it in a little box for some realism
That was actually a really cool challenge, have even less resolution to get something that reads like the original 16 bit looking one. :)  ..had fun.

I'm actually in talks with a programmer on here to make this a reality (in some form)

It will happen. By hook or by crook.

Railslave

A little something I'm working on for Egochip and his awesome (incoming) game. It's still heavily work in progress.

Gryzor

That symbol....?

ervin

Quote from: Railslave on 18:39, 12 September 18
A little something I'm working on for Egochip and his awesome (incoming) game. It's still heavily work in progress.

Holy cow that is beautiful.
The dress, her hair, the magical flames, and particularly the stonework.
Absolutely stunning.
Your understanding of colour theory is about 10000000% better than mine!

Railslave

Quote from: ervin on 07:59, 13 September 18
Holy cow that is beautiful.
The dress, her hair, the magical flames, and particularly the stonework.
Absolutely stunning.
Your understanding of colour theory is about 10000000% better than mine!

Thanks, I've been having fun figuring out which colors to mix to get some mid tones.

I accidentally changed to a darker palette as well, the choices made a lot more sense before. it's a bit too dingy now :|

lots of work still to go, cleaning up shapes and smoothing some stuff out.

I think what makes the stone work is the harsh edge highlighting on the cracks

ervin

Quote from: Railslave on 08:14, 13 September 18
Thanks, I've been having fun figuring out which colors to mix to get some mid tones.
I accidentally changed to a darker palette as well, the choices made a lot more sense before. it's a bit too dingy now :|
lots of work still to go, cleaning up shapes and smoothing some stuff out.
I think what makes the stone work is the harsh edge highlighting on the cracks

It's really exciting to see the CPC palette used in this way.

Yes indeed, the harsh edge highlighting on the stone work is superb, but I really like the colouring you used for the shadows.

Railslave

New pix

"Jude did Seal bomber IIV - zero" 

:picard:

Railslave

It's a tribute to Japanese (mis) handling of Judaism in video games.

ervin

Yet again, absolutely stunning.
Lots of colour combos that I would never consider putting together, but they work really well!

MaV

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Railslave

Quote from: ervin on 00:53, 20 September 18
Yet again, absolutely stunning.
Lots of colour combos that I would never consider putting together, but they work really well!

Thanks, I uselessly take the experimental route, not always the best option but it's a game in itself.

I think it also helps with learning how far you can stretch the palette as well.
CPC is no slouch.

I did think I would suffer a bit coming over from doing so many C64 pics but its been a joy, with out all the inbetween greys to blend stuff you find more inventive replacements to get that hue shifted look kids go wild after :P
+ character restrictions can go to hell. I'm done

Railslave

Quote from: MaV on 08:07, 20 September 18
The eight-pointed star of chaos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol_of_Chaos

Something Egochip insisted on, above all else