News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Greetings from a new CPC 464 user

Started by Averre, 23:32, 19 September 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Averre

Hi!
Created this account a while ago but didn't want to post untill I actually owned a CPC 464.

Two days ago I received my unit. Made me feel like a kid again  :D
Knew about the computer since I was a younger but had never seen or touched one in person.

Unfortunately it won't load any tapes. Gonna have to work on that.
But I was thinking of acquiring at least one of the modern expansion port accessories  (DDI3/5, Dandanator, X-Mem, M4 and others).
Recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Gryzor

Welcome mate!

Hope you have fun with this awesome machine :)

If it's not loading tapes it may be that the head may need realignment, but without further info it's hard to tell.

Though all those modern expansions are really great, I think the most basic and versatile one you can get is a floppy emulator. But for that, of course, you would need an interface.

LambdaMikel

DDI-3 is great for the 464 - I also own the other extensions - with the exception of the DDI-5 -  you have listed and they are all great but DDI-3 got me started and it lasted for 2 years before I wanted to do more / different things.

(Well, in fact I started in 1985 with 464 and a DDI-1... but that was a different time)

VincentGR

retro_collector

Welcome! Congrats!

You are lucky, you got your CPC 464 :)

I am still waiting for mine to ship.

Lets share the learning experience !

Bill

keith56

Great to hear you've got a CPC!

So you never owned one before? what convinced to to give the CPC a go? If you owned a different system in the 80's/90's what was it?

I'd agree a DDI3 or similar - or the M4 would be a great choice..., so you don't have to wait for those tapes (assuming you get it working)

I think the DDI3 has slightly higher compatibility than the M4, because the DDI emulates a true disk drive where as the M4 uses an alternative firmware to mount files, but I'm no expert so I may be wrong.
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

tjohnson

Welcome it 464 was my first computer for some reason we always found loading tapes excruciating.  Anyway you probably need to change the tape belt and adjust the azimuth to get tapes losing.  Enjoy!

Averre

Thanks for all the welcomes, and recommendations for peripherals!
I managed to get a hold of a Dandanator and have been having a blast with it.
Quote from: keith56 on 23:20, 20 September 19
So you never owned one before? what convinced to to give the CPC a go? If you owned a different system in the 80's/90's what was it?
I had a C64 in the early 90's which were extremely popular in Sweden where I'm from. But with a spanish parent I got hold of some spanish computer magazines and was made aware of the CPC 464 and MSX. And my uncle had a ZX Spectrum.

These past few years I've been writing some Z80 assembly code for the Sega Master System (nothing release worthy  :) ), which made me want to experience those Z80 based computers that I had heard of when I was a kid.
And it seemed to me that the scene for Z80 computers is more active in areas that interest me than scenes for other computers. Soooooo many high quality game releases!
And ultimately, I really really like the CPC palette.