Sir Alan Sugar: The Biography: The Verdict: DON'T BUY IT!

Started by Gryzor, 11:55, 11 November 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Here's the review I wrote on GoodReads:

Oh boy...

When Burden was finally able to withdraw his nose from up Sir Alan's arse, he wrote one of the worst books I've ever read.

A very small book (250-ish small pages, in rather large print), attempting to present Sugar as the Single Perfect Being (SPB(TM)) in the entire universe, with so little insight it makes you wonder why bother at all. With a Bibliography section containing just two sources (seriously! I'm not making this up!), one of which is the *excellent* "The Amstrad Story", I guess you can't expect much.

His analysis is so superfluous I imagine he wrote most of the book before he even had coffee in the mornings.

I bought it primarily to read about Sugar's line of computers. Well... You get to the "Computers" chapter in page 40 (so that's only 40 pages for his life before that point!!!) and... you get done with them things by page 62 or so. The writing is so skin-deep that he doesn't even mention the names of the models that Sugar marketed (save, I believe, the 1512), and it offers absolutely no new information on the whole process. But, what can you expect from a book that totally (I mean *totally*) skips over the early years with the car radio sets or the tower HiFis...

Leave it well alone. Read the Amstrad Story instead...

Well, if anyone wants it, you only have to pay a couple of euros for me to send it to you (to cover postage)... :)

Xyphoe

Oh dear :(

I expected as much ... quick cheapo cash in....

...like a lot of Amstrad products  :o ;)

Bryce

Gryzor

AMSDOS

Gryzor wrote:

Leave it well alone. Read the Amstrad Story instead...

Or read the Comic-strip adventures of Alan Sugar I suppose!  ;D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Hahaha! Actually, I had this very same thought when the author spent all of a couple of paragraphs to describe the buy-out of Sinclair :D

ukmarkh

Or better still... buy the Book of Arnold when it's finally released  ;)

Gryzor

Blurredman

My mother bought it for me to read. I have not as of yet, but your description makes me want to read it.

It's no surprise that Lord Sugar does not go into depths about his computers. The way he talks about his computers in interviews and his programmes such as 'The Apprentice' as very vague and I have every confidence in thinking that Lord Sugar does not really care about his computers like you or I. To him it was just a product that his design team came up with.

He is not on the same wave-length as for instance Bill Gates, who funnily enough didn't earn his living boiling radishes as a child but programming on a computer from a very early age.

And yes, he is now in the Government's House of Lords. ;)

AMSDOS

Bill Gates made his money off BASIC for Microcomputers, which allowed him purchased a hacked copy of CP/M, the rest is history - he was only in it for the money!  ::)

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Quote from: Blurredman on 01:35, 11 December 10
My mother bought it for me to read. I have not as of yet, but your description makes me want to read it.

It's no surprise that Lord Sugar does not go into depths about his computers. The way he talks about his computers in interviews and his programmes such as 'The Apprentice' as very vague and I have every confidence in thinking that Lord Sugar does not really care about his computers like you or I. To him it was just a product that his design team came up with.

He is not on the same wave-length as for instance Bill Gates, who funnily enough didn't earn his living boiling radishes as a child but programming on a computer from a very early age.

And yes, he is now in the Government's House of Lords. ;)

Well, yes and no. We all know what Sugar thought and thinks of his computers, but after all they were the products that made him what he is, so it would be to be expected to talk about them a bit. But my criticism was leveled at the book, which is one of the worst books I've ever bought...

Bryce

This guy obviously either:

A) Liked the book / Alan Sugar an awful lot more than you did.

B) Hated the book and this was his way of expressing it.

C) Is just some wierdo, who needs expensive professional help.

I'll let you decide:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/15/alan_sugar_autobiography_pleasure/

Gryzor

Ehm... :D

But he's talking about the What You See Is What You Get autobiography - another book?

AMSDOS

Gryzor wrote:

Ehm... :D

But he's talking about the What You See Is What You Get autobiography - another book?

Spoiler: ShowHide

Or perhaps Bryce was taking my comments and responding to them!  ;D 

It's interesting how books can be deemed as unrecommended, I dare say it's those kind you'll quickly find in Second-Hand Bookshops!  ???  The funniest thing that happened to me in a second hand book shop was me finding this Free Council Booklet (I say free cause you can go to the council and get them for nothing) being sold for $10 bucks!  :laugh:

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

For what it's worth, Amazon is offering this ebook for free... maybe good toilet material.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:22, 18 November 11
For what it's worth, Amazon is offering this ebook for free... maybe good toilet material.

Will they supply it in a handy perforated roll format like my other toilet material comes?

Bryce.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:22, 18 November 11

Wouldn't recommend it for a Log Fire?  ;D  INK (particularly the Cheap stuff) might have consequences in that particular region of the body!  :o

It would be a good opportunity for Mr. (Sir) Sugar to follow that book up with another book titled "The Day Books Ruined My Life!"  :laugh:

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

@Bruce: of all people, I'd have thought *you* would be using home-designed PCBs...

Bryce

@Gryzor: -1 for calling me Bruce :D -2 for not realising that Toilet Material is a "Software (t)issue" and I only do hardware :D

Bryce.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 22:34, 18 November 11
@Gryzor: -1 for calling me Bruce :D

Gryzor could be incorporating both of our names into one!  ;D  "uce" as in "use"  :P

@everyone - beginning to look like a Tweet feastival! #quit#it!  :laugh:

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

What - you've been Bryce all this time? My, my...

khisanth

The problem with Alan Sugar for us computer geeks, is that in any interview, story or book etc the Amstrad computers feature very little. He never talks about them for long or in any kind of detail. Always very much a footnote in the scheme of things.

He focuses on Amstrad as a business, his involvement with football and the Apprentice etc. We need biographies of the people who worked on the hardware really.

Gryzor

Hear, hear.
Then again, not necessarily bios but the story of the machine.