News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Had a 6128 growing up

Started by DPG, 23:44, 30 November 11

Previous topic - Next topic

DPG

Hey guys  :)  I had a 6128 growing up, parents bought it when we were little. Eventually we learned how to play games on it (I'm only 28) but basically by the time we'd begun to do this the CPC had lagged behind. All my friends had NES's etc but we never got any of that. Had a ton of games on tape and disc. Still have the old main part (disc drive is broken, it broke when we were little and was repaired, but broke again when we got older) but the monitor is one I got a few years back off a friend who didn't want it as ours kept rolling. Anyways, I've been reliving my younger days by watching vids done by Xypheo and looking at my old games . Oh yeah, also bought AA until it closed down, well, the last year or two before.

Bryce

Hi, and welcome. So do you intend bringing it all back to life again?

Bryce.

Gryzor

Hello mate, and welcome :)

99% of failed CPC drives have a belt that needs replacing - look around the wiki, very cheap and easy to do. Though if it had broken down back when it was relatively new it could be something else...

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:42, 01 December 11
Though if it had broken down back when it was relatively new it could be something else...

Like the repair idiot used the wrong size belt or installed it wrong?

Bryce.

Gryzor

I assume when it broke down the first time it was -er, the first time, so no prior botched repair jobs...

AMSDOS

Sounds like the good old Timing Belt. Too bad they didn't make it from chain, guess they didn't have the room, they do the same sort of thing with Cars these days with Timing Belt! And it's never cheap to fix!  :o  Old cars like my first car had chain didn't have to worry about it until you could start hear it rattling away!  ;D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Bryce

Imagine how loud a drive would be with a chain-belt :D The reason rubber belts are used instead of direct-drive (cog to cog) is because when the motor starts up (with a jolt) there should be a little slippage to avoid damaging the disk, it's kind of a built in clutch. A chain, other than being unbelievably loud, also wouldn't have any slippage.

Bryce.

Gryzor

But you wouldn't need a horn!

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 09:47, 02 December 11
Imagine how loud a drive would be with a chain-belt :D The reason rubber belts are used instead of direct-drive (cog to cog) is because when the motor starts up (with a jolt) there should be a little slippage to avoid damaging the disk, it's kind of a built in clutch. A chain, other than being unbelievably loud, also wouldn't have any slippage.

Bryce.

Hmm possibly, we'd be oiling those chains instead of replacing it with a whole new belt though!  ;D  Ok I don't know a thing about them, I thought there is some slippage on my Bicycle though before it actually starts moving, something to do with ball bearings in the peddles?  ???
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

MacDeath

Welcome aboard DPG.

One cool thing would be if you could tell us if you have some special games versions of special hacked version with cracktro or so on...

We always love to find new forgotten pearls and stuffs... or simply to dump a non faulty software.

Also I would just like to promote to you the new game productions, just so you know you old dusty computer wasn't THAT lame compaired to a NES...
Just it had lazy bizness oriented game-production at the time.

DPG

I always wanted a console, but now I earn more than enough to buy one I've only ever bought a Wii, prefer a keyboard, must be CPC effect. Don't have any hidden gems i'm afraid, most obscure one I have is a set of 3-d worlds, one set in a pyramid, one set in a castle, maybe one more. The disc drive basically won't accept anything, we used to be able to use the ejector to get it to let a disc into the drive but it went after the first repair. Have played the CPC recently, played Striker by cult games, simple but good game.

DPG

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:23, 01 December 11
I assume when it broke down the first time it was -er, the first time, so no prior botched repair jobs...

Yeah, but it was maybe into the early 90's, finding repairshops was hard. When it went the second time that was it, no-one around to fix it.

Bryce

You could always just remove the drive entirely and replace it with a HxC, that's the easiest way to download and try all the games you didn't have back then.

Bryce.

buzby

Quote from: CP/M User on 09:13, 02 December 11
Sounds like the good old Timing Belt. Too bad they didn't make it from chain, guess they didn't have the room, they do the same sort of thing with Cars these days with Timing Belt! And it's never cheap to fix!  :o  Old cars like my first car had chain didn't have to worry about it until you could start hear it rattling away!  ;D

yes i agree the good old chain driven timing belt you cant beat them, especially on the good old opel manta my trusted car

Bryce

Opel Manta :D Cool. Excessively Pimped or Classic Retro?

Bryce.

robcfg

Oooooh! The Opel Manta! I use to like a lot that car as a kid  8)

buzby

Quote from: Bryce on 22:52, 05 December 11
Opel Manta :D Cool. Excessively Pimped or Classic Retro?

Bryce.
nice to keep them original bryce but theres still time in our lifes to have things modded, if its to be the opel manta to the amstra..................... got to stay open minded

buzby

Quote from: robcfg on 23:42, 05 December 11
Oooooh! The Opel Manta! I use to like a lot that car as a kid  8)
yes your right there as a kid,thats what the wife keeps saying im a 39 year old kid lol..............
retro keep it all alive

DPG

I don't have room to set the CPC up anymore, it's in my parents loft. Still got the games somewhere I think, big box of tapes and another of discs.

Bryce

There's ALWAYS space for a CPC :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

...if not, throw the female out the window, right?

buzby

well there she goes out the door to the mothers lol

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:51, 06 December 11
...if not, throw the female out the window, right?

Or other unnecessary things... Washing Machine (There's one in the 464 manual already), Wardrobes, Sofas...

Bryce.