News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

hello

Started by Brian Beuken, 16:51, 01 August 15

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

QuoteI was thinking of writing a game that uses more than 312 scan lines
then try good old EGA in 640x350x16...

TotO

PAL overscan is 384x288. More is not handled on standard TV/Monitor.
Writing a game with a so big screen resolution will only waste time for displaying things that nobody will see...
By the way, 312 lines should mean that you no more have VSync.  :-\

[attach=2]

Picture from documentations:devices:crtc [Grimware]
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

arnoldemu

LOL. I think Executioner means he wants to extend the frame time, not the visible size, and he will still have a vsync.

e.g. just set r4 to 40 for example. You get 8 more lines for a frame, and if the monitor can sync to it (and some people may have to turn the v-hold to do that), you get more cpu time per frame (although the frame is longer; so it's not more cpu cycles in the same time ;) ).

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Flickering like on Amiga... igittigittt! (means that's yucki!). I would rather move on to 60 Hz to have a more eye-saving picture. But when ever I suggest that, then people start to throw GT64's at me.  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Executioner

I don't get any flicker on my CTM with values up to about 42, that's almost 45Hz, significantly slower than 50Hz. No idea how that would look on various other converters/monitors though. Just do out &bc00,4:out &bd00,42

TFM

Wished I could! My US CTM died, the Sony Black Trinitron is just not a CTM and I bought two 12 V adaptors from amazon to power my 3" drive - neither now works. Rotten luck!

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

arnoldemu

Quote from: Executioner on 23:16, 16 August 15
I don't get any flicker on my CTM with values up to about 42, that's almost 45Hz, significantly slower than 50Hz. No idea how that would look on various other converters/monitors though. Just do out &bc00,4:out &bd00,42
On of the demos on "The Demo" it stretches the timing; the monitor then shows thicker scan lines at the top on my monitor.
Can't remember which part.

one of these two I think:

Demo 2 : Lobotomia (Slash, Pict)
Demo 7 : Mega Demo (Fred Crazy, Hightower)

I think more demo 7.

EDIT: It is demo 7. The frame is not synced and the top part, on my monitor, would show additional "scanlines" because the monitor had trouble syncing to it although it did. Same can be seen by setting the vsync short. I think extra lines at the top appear.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

remax

Quote from: Executioner on 23:16, 16 August 15
Just do out &bc00,4:out &bd00,42

You fried my CPC  >:(

No just joking, but it makes my screen rolling.
Brain Radioactivity

CraigsBar

Quote from: remax on 21:39, 17 August 15
You fried my CPC  >:(

No just joking, but it makes my screen rolling.

No roll on any of mine... That's 2x CPC 6128's (CTM 644) 4xPlus machines (2x mm12 2x CM14) and 1x JustCPC 128k (21" Generic CRT telly - Badged as Wharfdale, but as they primarily made speakers I suspect not)

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Executioner

I think 42 is probably pushing the boundaries a bit much. I was considering using a value of 40 for an extra 1024us per frame :)

EgoTrip

Quote from: Executioner on 12:00, 18 August 15
I think 42 is probably pushing the boundaries a bit much. I was considering using a value of 40 for an extra 1024us per frame :)

But 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything. You have to use it.

ivarf

Quote from: EgoTrip on 13:48, 18 August 15
But 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything. You have to use it.

So the question is CPC-related. Good information. For me 464 is showing up whenever something important happens. Maybe 42 and 464 can be used together as a clue to find the question?