News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hello everybody!

Started by Mene, 21:39, 10 October 13

Previous topic - Next topic

Mene

Hello everybody, my name is Menelaos and I am from Nikaia (Near Athens), Greece.

My history with CPCs is fairly old (as everybody else's here, I believe).

Specifically, around 1989, my parents - who had trouble getting me to let my cousin's A500 alone - got us a CPC6128 with a CTM644 monitor! After several days playing only games, I started trying to create small programs in BASIC, using the excellent manual. That got me to highschool studying BASIC, Pascal and COBOL, but not further, unfortunately. 

Now, I am mostly into networks and i work for a Greek ISP.

I am pretty sure that here I will find so much information, that will get my enthusiasm back like the good old days!

Thank you for all the good work you are doing here!
May the Force be with us all...

TFM

Welcome here. Enjoy  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

dcdrac

hello, I finally caved in this year and replaced all the CPCs I used to have with others and now including the entire Plus range which I never had.

mr_lou

Welcome! You've come to the right place.  :)

00WReX

Welcome Mene, you will find this forum a friendly and very helpful place.
Like yourself a lot of us have fond memories of the CPC dating back to when we got them in the 80's.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Gryzor

Welcome compatriot! Enjoy your stay! (oh, and can you boost my line? :D)

Mene

Thanks guys for the warm welcome, I'm sure I'm in the right place!

@Gryzor Assuming you already know the ISP  :laugh:  and seeing what that line is being used for, I'll do my best!!!  ;D

Gryzor

Well, it's fair to assume your IP resolves to that same ISP you work for (not with an absolute certainty though), and that's where I am too, so... :D

Mene

Yeap, that's the way I thought of it, too!

If your line really does need techsupport, I can surely pull the right strings!  :D

Gryzor

Nah, I'm fairly good; now, if you could place me on a priority list of the optical lines we're expecting to be laid down... ;)

Hey, but thanks! :)

AMSDOS

Quote from: Mene on 21:39, 10 October 13
Hello everybody, my name is Menelaos and I am from Nikaia (Near Athens), Greece.

My history with CPCs is fairly old (as everybody else's here, I believe).

Specifically, around 1989, my parents - who had trouble getting me to let my cousin's A500 alone - got us a CPC6128 with a CTM644 monitor! After several days playing only games, I started trying to create small programs in BASIC, using the excellent manual. That got me to highschool studying BASIC, Pascal and COBOL, but not further, unfortunately. 

Now, I am mostly into networks and i work for a Greek ISP.

I am pretty sure that here I will find so much information, that will get my enthusiasm back like the good old days!

Thank you for all the good work you are doing here!

G'day Menelaos.

We (the CPC Community) have Pascal if you are keen to use it, my site deals with Turbo Pascal 3 code, though I've been using Hisoft Pascal 4T because I've been dealing in System Specifics, which the CP/M Community don't like. HP4T is a little less advanced than TP3, programs need to be edited using the editor, though makes it really easy if one wants to do some low-level talking to the firmware for instance.

However there are many languages you might be interested to check out which compile your programs, so it maybe worthwhile CCZ80, CPC BASIC 3 or SDCC if you're interested.  :)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

MacDeath

Oh, another Geek... I meat another Greek... ;D

wëlkömmën and bienvenue.

Gryzor

You meat another Greek?

I don't even...

Zoe Robinson

Clearly a Freudian slip, it was almost dinner time after all. ;)

Hello Mene and welcome. :)

Mene

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome!

Even if MacDeath wants to meat me, I already feel at home  ;D

@AMSDOS I remember practically nothing about Pascal, but there's nothing a little practice can't solve!

@Gryzor When I hear about that project, I'll place you... right under my name!!  :D

@Everybody: Thank you / Merci beaucoup / Mange tak / Ευχαριστώ πολύ!

Devilmarkus

Happy CPCing, Mene!

And welcome to our forum ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

AMSDOS

Quote from: Mene on 13:32, 26 October 13

@AMSDOS I remember practically nothing about Pascal, but there's nothing a little practice can't solve!

Yeah I had to do things a little bit differently when I moved from Turbo Pascal to Hisoft Pascal which is where languages like C try to standardise the code so it works on a number of compilers.

Some of the newer languages might appeal to you like CPC BASIC 3 or CCZ80. They operate on a PC though produce code for the CPC. I haven't used CCZ80 as yet, though CPC BASIC 3 is useful for taking a small BASIC routine and can make Assembly Code/Binary or CCZ80 from it. It's not 100% compatible with Locomotive BASIC, though it seems to do a reasonable job at translating what it can to produce a nice speedy program and it friendly to RSXes.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

MacDeath

QuoteYou meat another Greek?
of (inter)course, I cook some delicious Gyros...

(please notice the ball, the rings, the sauce...)

**In france, a "greek" (grecque) if a name for Gyros/Kebabs sandwichs...
Because ils sont pleins de graisse.

Gryzor

Pffft... a souvlaki may have grease on it, but like with any food, if it's swimming in it it's just bad. Haven't actually eaten a greasy gyros in years...