News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hello from Arnolde

Started by arnolde, 15:10, 25 May 21

Previous topic - Next topic

arnolde

Hello everyone, 8)

just a quick hello from my side: after having read a lot here and on the Wiki itself (what a great reesource!) I decided to subscribe...

My Amstrad journey started relatively late, in 1990, when my french cousin "upgraded" to an Amiga and I got his CPC6128. Of course it was a french model (So, although I live in Austria, my first keyboard experience was Azerty...) Anyway, it was my first computer (I was 13 years old) and I completely fell in love with programming (Loco Basic) and learning how it works. Fortunately, my cousin also left me with a bunch of disks with the best software (Advanced OCP, Gryzor, Cybernoid, Nebulus...) and also some demos which blew my mind... I started to learn Z80 assembly, but it was so hard to find good resources and answers to all my questions, so I didn't get very far and my admiration for the demo programmers grew even bigger... :o

Of course, as the time goes by, my CPC was replaced by a x486 PC, then another PC, then another... and I'm afraid I just threw it away eventually, which is, I know it now, unexcusable... :picard: I always kept interested in computing but I got a job in a totally different field. So occasionally I typed a little this and that, learned some C and Python...

Cut to one year ago. I watch "Bandersnatch" on Netflix. If you have't seen it, warmest recommendation. I know, it's about a Spectrum programmer, not a CPC one, but the whole atmosphere of the time is revived so perfectly in this movie: THe 8 bit spirit, the smelly teenager's bedroom and the rabbit hole... So I remembered my teenager dream of becoming a Z80 coder and did some research (yeah, and it was lockdown, too...). I found Keith's (chibi akumas) great learning material, I found the CPC Wiki and I found WinAPE. And that's how my own rabbit hole started.

So far, so bad, my wife hates the Z80 now, I think, and I try to do some rehab / withdrawal now. But before that, I want to show the world what I've programmed. So see you in my next threads 8)

Animalgril987

Hi.
Welcome to the forum! ;D
There are a lot of nice friendly people on here.
Please don't completely withdraw; CPC stuff is just like any other hobby, you have to fit it around the boring real-world things that keep getting in the way! :D :D

mr_lou

Welcome!  :)

I think Bandersnatch was utterly awesome - in the beginning. But then it felt like they realized they'd taken on a too big project, and the rest of it wasn't treated with the same patience. But brilliant in the beginning.  :)

arnolde

Quote from: mr_lou on 15:56, 25 May 21I think Bandersnatch was utterly awesome - in the beginning. But then it felt like they realized they'd taken on a too big project
Which is so very ironic, because that's exactly the story of the movie... ;-)

mr_lou

Quote from: arnolde on 16:20, 25 May 21
Which is so very ironic, because that's exactly the story of the movie... ;-)

Yea. You're not saying it was intentional, right?

I'd love to see more stuff like it though. After watching Bandersnatch I found "Late Shift" on Steam, which is also worth a go. I have yet to watch "Her Story", which also has a good rep.

Could also be fun to make such a project myself.  :)
It would go well in hand with my passion for Blu-ray.  ;)

skylas

Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

keith56

Wecome to the forum!
Good to hear you're enjoying the Z80, even if your wife is not!

Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Gryzor

I really liked Bandersnatch. Didn't try to look too deep into it but me and the missus had a great evening trying to find all the endings (IIRC there was a pretty rare one to come across and somehow that was the first one we saw) without being too pedantic.

Thanks for your backstory btw, @arnolde , and welcome!