News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Introducing myself

Started by tranx, 07:19, 23 October 22

Previous topic - Next topic

tranx

Hi everyone and thanks for approving my request.

A bit of an introduction, I have been an MSX user since the 80s although always believed the Amstrad CPC to be a very nice computer with great games.

Back in the day I would get together with friends and neighbors to play games on their computers, and in most cases they owned either a ZX Spectrum or Amstrad CPC 464. I was one of the few with an MSX.

I really liked the fact that the CPC464 came with its own monitor, so my friends didn't have to bother their parents when borrowing the TV from the living room, and games were very colorful and smooth - at that time the MSX was getting lots of Spectrum ports and most games were in black & white. This doesn't seem like a big deal now, but seeing lots of colors in a computer screen was very impressive back then.

Fast forward to 2019 and I started looking for a 6128. A couple years later my friend from Spain (I am in the USA) found a nice unit in non-working condition and we decided to buy it and see if it could get fixed. My friend is a long time Amstrad user and knows all the in and outs of this computer, so he fixed all the issues (bad RAM and other common issues), he also upgraded the ROM and did some other upgrades, then shipped it to me.

And this is how I became an Amstrad user, more than 30 years later  ;D

Joined this forum by my friend's recommendation with the hope of learning a bit more about this system.

Cheers

Gryzor

Better late than never! Welcome here 🙂

Longshot

Rhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Prodatron

Welcome Tranx!
For me it was the other way, I was an Amstrad guy and then joined the awesome MSX world around 20 years later, too.
I wonder if you are originally from the US? AFAIK the MSX wasn't common in the US at all, and also not the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad, or I am wrong? :)

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

tranx

Quote from: Prodatron on 18:35, 23 October 22Welcome Tranx!
For me it was the other way, I was an Amstrad guy and then joined the awesome MSX world around 20 years later, too.
I wonder if you are originally from the US? AFAIK the MSX wasn't common in the US at all, and also not the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad, or I am wrong? :)
You are correct, I am originally from Spain but moved to the USA more than 20 years ago. Using these 8-bit systems around here is not too common :)

Prodatron

So I guess when you visit an 8bit retro meeting in the US, are you mostly surrounded by C64, Atari8bit, Trash80, and Apple II guys? :D

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM