News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

List of CPC464 games with 2nd fire button?

Started by Kevin Mount, 17:59, 10 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Optimus

Very interesting topic. You know, I hate some of the old platforms or racing where you had to move the stick up to jump or accelerate. I understand this, since many joysticks at the time had a single button. Generally speaking I learned to play with the keyboard at the time, the joysticks sucked, you couldn't register a precise direction with ease, now it's kinda better with the GX4000 joypad, although most games are not programmed with the second button in mind. It's good to know if there were old games which use the two buttons.

Kevin Mount

Slightly off topic, but I am developing a pcb-based version of the joystick Y splitter with 3 fire button support. The pcb layout is ready to go to the board house, so I should have a small batch of prototypes in a couple of weeks.
Hardware Developer.

dodogildo

Hey Kevin, I can't wait to get my hands on a CPC version of the Cyclone RX. When is that one due?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

M'enfin!

TFM

Quote from: Kevin Mount on 21:07, 12 November 15
Slightly off topic, but I am developing a pcb-based version of the joystick Y splitter with 3 fire button support. The pcb layout is ready to go to the board house, so I should have a small batch of prototypes in a couple of weeks.

Awesome!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Kevin Mount

Quote from: dodogildo on 22:31, 12 November 15
Hey Kevin, I can't wait to get my hands on a CPC version of the Cyclone RX. When is that one due?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Not sure. I have the layout 90% finished, but I'm dithering a bit re powering it up.

I can't decide whether to:

1. Fit a mini-usb port to power it up from a phone charger or

2. Run an extension to the main 5V power lead.

What do you think?
Hardware Developer.

TFM

How ever you decide, 5 V is a good idea, because it can be taken from the CPCs PSU or an extra 5 V PSU (common in CPC households ;-))
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Kevin Mount

Quote from: TFM on 23:57, 12 November 15
How ever you decide, 5 V is a good idea, because it can be taken from the CPCs PSU or an extra 5 V PSU (common in CPC households ;-))

It's also a good idea because any other voltage and the MCU and PS2 gamepad will not work properly ;)
Hardware Developer.

Optimus

What is the story of Joystick on CPC?

I remember I was watching this video of Spectrum VS Amstrad VS C64 and one mentioned he bought a second joystick for his CPC, and it didn't work. Of course the CPC doesn't have second joystick port, but it was a chained joystick on the first joystick. Both where controlling the same player.

In the hardware mapping I remember there was only one joystick. And two buttons. No way to send more.
Someone mentioned a 3rd button? Is it possible?

Is it possible to have two joysticks or more than two buttons on regular CPC?

p.s. Ok, I just realized there is a button 3 on hardware scan mapping. I just need to find a CPC joystick with three buttons now :)

arnoldemu

Quote from: Optimus on 12:14, 13 November 15

I remember I was watching this video of Spectrum VS Amstrad VS C64 and one mentioned he bought a second joystick for his CPC, and it didn't work. Of course the CPC doesn't have second joystick port, but it was a chained joystick on the first joystick. Both where controlling the same player.

In the hardware mapping I remember there was only one joystick. And two buttons. No way to send more.

p.s. Ok, I just realized there is a button 3 on hardware scan mapping. I just need to find a CPC joystick with three buttons now :)

The CPC has a single joystick port but the COM signal for joystick 2 is here too. If you use a splitter, or a joystick connected to another joystick you can use two joysticks. One is mapped to the joystick on the keyboard map, the other is mapped to r,tg,5 etc.

The CPC has keyboard clash which means if both people are using joystick then the controls will conflict and they can control each other!

In the hardware, the CPC supports 3 fire buttons. The Plus doesn't. The plus supports 2. Also the plus has diodes which means joysticks can't clash and it all works great! :)

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

Quote from: Optimus on 12:14, 13 November 15

Optimus, please stop to confuse people here. Please read in the CPCWiki before you talk too much and tell things which are not true.

In brief:

- The CPC can handle two joysticks
- They need an Y cable to fit into the single joystick port (or use a through joystick made by Amstrad)
- A good Y cable contains diodes to omit interference between the two joysticks
- There are 3 fire buttons, two of them are documented
- There is hardware (f.e. AMX mouse, Atari-ST mouse adapter, TFM-Joystick etc.) using all 3 buttons
- There is quite a variety of software using 2 fire buttons
- Few software is using all 3 buttons (I remember only about 4-5 titles now)
- Games have more often the chance to redefine buttons

TFM of FutureSoft

Kevin Mount

Looks like the adapter will be powered externally, via a phone charger.

I made up a cable to power the adapter from the main 5V dc plug, but it made the adapter unstable.

To be precise, the LEFT button gave the same result as if the ESC key was being pressed.
Hardware Developer.

TFM

IMHO that sounds more like a keyboard clash instead of a PSU problem. But if you can omit it by using an external PSU then great. I'm not a fan of dividing power from the CPC anyway. But there are well and cheap PSUs on Amazon (f.e.) which have the right plug for the CPC already.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

dodogildo

Quote from: TFM on 21:23, 13 November 15
But there are well and cheap PSUs on Amazon (f.e.) which have the right plug for the CPC already.  :)

Can you share a link when you have the time?

Cheers
M'enfin!

Optimus

Quote from: TFM on 17:23, 13 November 15

Optimus, please stop to confuse people here. Please read in the CPCWiki before you talk too much and tell things which are not true.

Ok, but it's better to ask so that we make it clear for everyone. I am not trying to tell anything or confuse people, I am trying to make things more clear for me and others who are reading. Judging from the old radio show I had seen, people where making fun of the CPC guy, because he bought a second Joystick with chain connector, plugged in it the first joystick and then realized that both joysticks were controlling the same player. That's what they said and maybe it was true before some joystick splitter interface came out. Arnold's answer already made sense to me.

jbaudrand

Rescue on fractalus use the second button to activate booster when mother ship is above the player

dodogildo

I wish there were some Multiface II pokes for my favorite games in order to map secondary fire to Gamepad/Joystick Button 2.
M'enfin!