News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Memorable CPC game intros and endings

Started by lmimmfn, 22:27, 06 May 24

Previous topic - Next topic

lmimmfn

Just curious what are others opinions of most memorable game intros/end screens or end animations back in the day, whether 464 or 6128.

For me I thought the intro for Predator was really cool, game was awful though.

For end screen for a game the most memorable for me is Gryzor, a kick in the teeth where they all died lol.
6128 for the win!!!

trocoloco

After the war has a cool intro, also Sirwood had load that was just for the intro, the best part to be honest, as the game is painfully slow , I remember that kind of intro as the movie in the Running Man, that was a nice feature.
Wells & fargo does have funny ending too with the can-can girls dance  :laugh:

ZorrO

Intro in Manhattan 95, and G-Loc ware epic.
CPC+PSX 4ever

ervin

Trantor has a great intro sequence.
After the loading screen appears, the game says "Trantor, the last stormtrooper" using some pretty good speech.
Then after the game finally loads, there is a great sequence of Trantor's ship descending to the planet's surface (accompanied by some nice music), and suddenly exploding/disintegrating as he dives to safety.
After this the letters of PROBE Software's logo bounce up and down beautifully.
When you FINALLY get to the game's main menu, one of my favourite pieces of music in a CPC game is played.

It's a fantastic intro sequence.
The only downside is that it takes longer than it should to get to the actual game!
(Maybe that's not such a bad thing, considering how short the game is!)

Anthony Flack

Any game that had an ending sequence at all was memorable I think. Short Circuit and After Burner are two that come to mind.

Gryzor

As @ervin mentioned Tractor had a proper (and lovely) intro. I remember being back from school one day, tape in hand. Nobody else was at home so I proceeded to start loading it straight away as I changed into my PJs and washed my hands and stuff, only to be scared shitless by a voice in the empty house. 

ervin

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:35, 07 May 24As @ervin mentioned Tractor had a proper (and lovely) intro. I remember being back from school one day, tape in hand. Nobody else was at home so I proceeded to start loading it straight away as I changed into my PJs and washed my hands and stuff, only to be scared shitless by a voice in the empty house.
LOL that's a great story.
It's a big booming voice as well!

ervin

And that reminds me of Meltdown.
Another game with a nice bit of speech in the intro, and a spectacular tune on the main menu.

Gryzor

Yeah the tune was great. The voice is more like a speech synth than a sample though!

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

The Electric Monk

It's already been mentioned, but yes, Gryzor's ending definitely sticks out. :laugh:

As far as intros go, RoboCop was my introduction to digitized speech on the CPC, so that will forever hold a place in my heart even though it's not that spectacular, I guess.

Also, the two gorgeous overscan screens that lead into Knight Force blew me away.

Gryzor

Felt so proud when I upgraded from the 464 to the 6128 and heard the RoboCop intro speech😊

Gryzor

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 09:06, 07 May 24

That was nice, hadn't watched it before! 

PS evamariasefue?

Herman

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:56, 07 May 24Yeah the tune was great. The voice is more like a speech synth than a sample though!
A great theme song indeed in "Meltdown".
By the unforgettable old master Ben Daglish, in his very own style.

Thank you all for remembering. Some great memories.

zhulien

Highway encounter has a good ending, a lot better than a text message.

Shaun M. Neary

How has this thread gotten this far without mentioning the 128k version of Fiendish Freddys Big Top O' Fun? The spotlight and intro entrance and the hilariously funny ending!

Nominal shout out to WWF Wrestlemania intro. Shame the rest of the game was such a disappointment.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

lmimmfn

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 00:11, 08 May 24How has this thread gotten this far without mentioning the 128k version of Fiendish Freddys Big Top O' Fun? The spotlight and intro entrance and the hilariously funny ending!

Nominal shout out to WWF Wrestlemania intro. Shame the rest of the game was such a disappointment.
I'm particularly interested in 128k games vs 64k games, just because back in the day I only had a 464, I remember seeing chase hq on my mates 128k spectrum and horrified that it had speech etc. Lol. Good call on Fiendish Fredy, added it to my todo list as never played it even on my Amiga bitd.
6128 for the win!!!

ZorrO

Yes,  Fiendish Freddys was funny.
And I just remind Hostages. :)
CPC+PSX 4ever

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: lmimmfn on 01:46, 08 May 24
Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 00:11, 08 May 24How has this thread gotten this far without mentioning the 128k version of Fiendish Freddys Big Top O' Fun? The spotlight and intro entrance and the hilariously funny ending!

I'm particularly interested in 128k games vs 64k games, just because back in the day I only had a 464, I remember seeing chase hq on my mates 128k spectrum and horrified that it had speech etc. Lol. Good call on Fiendish Fredy, added it to my todo list as never played it even on my Amiga bitd.
128k versions surprised me, as like yourself, I grew up on a 464 so found them out later.

After The War was mentioned, however it's awesome intro was not included in the 64k version. 
Chase HQ's speech was somehow made to work on 64k on the GX4000 conversion, but certainly was absent on the tape version. Maybe it worked on 64k disk with the extra storage, I dunno...

If you want to see the ultimate difference between 64k and 128k versions (Double Dragon 1 and 2 excluded), check out E-Swat. Neither game is overly impressive but the 64k play area is laughable!  :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, veering off topic here, but figured I'd throw my 2 cents in towards your comment. :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

GUNHED

Quote from: ervin on 02:20, 07 May 24Trantor has a great intro sequence.
After the loading screen appears, the game says "Trantor, the last stormtrooper" using some pretty good speech.
Then after the game finally loads, there is a great sequence of Trantor's ship descending to the planet's surface (accompanied by some nice music), and suddenly exploding/disintegrating as he dives to safety.
When you FINALLY get to the game's main menu, one of my favourite pieces of music in a CPC game is played.

The only downside is that it takes longer than it should to get to the actual game!
Thanks for posting! Trantor was my first thought too.  :)
And I remember the games from Bollaware:
- Back Land
- FresFighter

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

lmimmfn

Quote from: GUNHED on 13:54, 08 May 24
Quote from: ervin on 02:20, 07 May 24Trantor has a great intro sequence.

Thanks for posting! Trantor was my first thought too.  :)
And I remember the games from Bollaware:
- Back Land
- FresFighter

Very nice, i must say Back Land intro which i didnt see before is very impressive especially with the length of it and looks like the zooming is realtime calculated vs pre-calculated.
6128 for the win!!!

andycadley

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 12:29, 08 May 24After The War was mentioned, however it's awesome intro was not included in the 64k version.
Chase HQ's speech was somehow made to work on 64k on the GX4000 conversion, but certainly was absent on the tape version. Maybe it worked on 64k disk with the extra storage, I dunno...

Most 128K games are just using the extra 64K to store static data. That's not really an issue on the GX, since you can just keep it in ROM on the cart and access it from there. So there is rarely any reason for a GX game not to just match (or exceed) the 128K version, aside from the need to update the code to access ROM rather than RAM (which is the stumbling point with most modern CPR conversions)

dodogildo

Quote from: GUNHED on 13:54, 08 May 24And I remember the games from Bollaware:

- Back Land
- FresFighter
Wow both are great!! 
M'enfin!

Targhan

Some adventures games have nice introductions, such as
- Le Pacte (with the great "burning" of the picture)
- Silva / Infernal house (from memory they were not bad...)
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

cwpab

The only CPC games I had as a kid with something similar to an intro were Movie, Ghostbusters 2 and of course, La abadía del crimen.

But I liked how some text adventures programmed a location in GAC just to show some kind of "second intro image" within the game engine. Megacorp did this, and I wonder if it's the only one (the other 2 text adventures I had, Don Quijiote and La guerra de las vajillas, didn't do it).