News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

My "baptism by fire" message

Started by ccp-1922, 23:09, 12 June 20

Previous topic - Next topic

ccp-1922

Hello,

In my country there was a healthy rivalry between Amstrad and Sinclair owners. And although I also have great memories of a friend's spectrum, I chose Amstrad
I am an owner of an Amstrad CPC6128 with a green monitor and a GX4000 console.
Let me poke around the forum a little bit

Greetings, everyone.   :D

Zoe Robinson

keith56

Welcome to the forum, so you have a 6128 and GX4000? good choices!

We also had the sinclair v amstrad wars... with some people preferring the amstrad... and other just being wrong!!!

Jokes aside... I hope you find something you enjoy on the forum... what are you planning? just some gaming, some development, or something else?
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

tjohnson

Hi and welcome, one of my best school friends had a speccy but I don't recall any rivalry with him.  My cousins also got an amstrad as we had one.  Another friend had a master system.  I only recall coming across one c64 in the wild , my brothers friend had one.  Amstrad was the biggest computer where I was I think or maybe I knew more people with them as I had one so we would share and copy games.

Enjoy the forum.

ccp-1922

Quote from: keith56 on 04:22, 13 June 20Welcome to the forum, so you have a 6128 and GX4000? good choices!

We also had the sinclair v amstrad wars... with some people preferring the amstrad... and other just being wrong!!!

Jokes aside... I hope you find something you enjoy on the forum... what are you planning? just some gaming, some development, or something else?

At that time, and where I live it was considered that the speccy was only for playing and that with the amstrad you could also work.
I like to write code and I make my living with something related to it so in the near future I want to consult the "CPCtelera", although I have a bad memory of writing and saving pokes that came in the magazines (with my cousin dictating the basic code ) because I was a little kid who didn't have any knowledge and it took me years to find the typos when the cheats didn't work.  :picard:

mr.freeze

Quote from: ccp-1922 on 23:46, 13 June 20

At that time, and where I live it was considered that the speccy was only for playing and that with the amstrad you could also work.

I like to write code and I make my living with something related to it so in the near future I want to consult the "CPCtelera", although I have a bad memory of writing and saving pokes that came in the magazines (with my cousin dictating the basic code ) because I was a little kid who didn't have any knowledge and it took me years to find the typos when the cheats didn't work.  :picard:
Souvenirs, souvenirs. I used to "exploit" my little sister to dictate me the data of BASIC listings with big data sections and without any checksum and the programs always worked flawlessy. She liked that. She's an accountant now.

WiltshireWizard

I

Gryzor

Quote from: mr.freeze on 14:57, 21 June 20I used to "exploit" my little sister to dictate me the data of BASIC listings
Oh yes of course. Especially with long listings, it was definitely a two-person job. Who knew blind typing back then? :D

At my school there was really no rivalry. Most of us had CPCs, some had speccies -we used to "aww that's cute" them-, a couple of c64s and a MSX owner. Nobody ever fought over it to be honest...

mr.freeze

In my village, mid-80's, there were a majority of CPC owners (well, from the 0.01% owning a computer) with a great club and a handful of C64 one's but there was no rivalry. I think the Spectrum must have been forbidden by a local law though as I never encountered a Spectrum owner, beside my father.

asertus

Hi, @mr.freeze , good to know.., I am also living in Belgium, but I do not find anything CPC related here!!!! Maybe you can tell me some hints..

However I do find some Commodore stuff in 2nd hand or braderies, even some MSX from Holland... but it is hard to find stuff for CPC.

mr.freeze

Quote from: asertus on 16:17, 15 July 20
Hi, @mr.freeze , good to know.., I am also living in Belgium, but I do not find anything CPC related here!!!! Maybe you can tell me some hints..
I can't help you  :( . We don't have the commercial fiber I guess and we definitively not have the mail order culture. I would like to acquire a Schneider CPC 464 soon. But I will look on ebay.de and ebay.nl. I won't even bother to look on ebay.be.

asertus

I found some stuff in https://www.2ememain.be/ . But nothing compared to Spain or UK.

mr.freeze

Quote from: asertus on 19:01, 15 July 20
I found some stuff in https://www.2ememain.be/ . But nothing compared to Spain or UK.
It is a bad site. Bought by Ebay. Bad business. Try to buy a thing from this site only. Good luck.Most items are unavailable because already sold but the seller didn't mind to remove the announce.Also, many announces are not well described, like in ebay.be.

asertus

Quote from: mr.freeze on 19:13, 15 July 20
It is a bad site. Bought by Ebay. Bad business. Try to buy a thing from this site only. Good luck.Most items are unavailable because already sold but the seller didn't mind to remove the announce.Also, many announces are not well described, like in ebay.be.

Thanks for the warning..  ;)

mr.freeze

Quote from: asertus on 19:13, 15 July 20

Thanks for the warning..  ;)
In what corner did you fall into :-)

asertus

Quote from: mr.freeze on 19:22, 15 July 20
In what corner did you fall into :-)

The one next to the Atomium ...  :)

mr.freeze

Quote from: asertus on 19:25, 15 July 20

The one next to the Atomium ...  :)
I pretend that Brussels is not Belgium. There is nothing I can do for you :-)

asertus

Quote from: mr.freeze on 19:28, 15 July 20
I pretend that Brussels is not Belgium. There is nothing I can do for you :-)

:D   

mr.freeze

OP doesn't seem to react.
@ccp-1922, prove to us that your blood is red and not blue.

ccp-1922

OP doesn't seem to react.
@ccp-1922, prove to us that your blood is red and not blue.
I'm here. On vacation, but I still come by.
Another memory is trying to memorize the manual of the cpc 6128 to understand it fully, I gave up soon after; I was a naive 8 years old boy ...

At my school there was really no rivalry. Most of us had CPCs, some had speccies -we used to "aww that's cute" them-, a couple of c64s and a MSX owner. Nobody ever fought over it to be honest...
I had a friend with a cartridge msx ( I don't remember the exact model of msx but the game "death wish 3", which in the eyes of an impressionable 8 year old boy was violent ) and he was "the weirdo" .

Here in Spain is relatively easy to find gx4000 for 80 euros with power supply and controller ( without game ) or a cpc 464 with games and green monitor for 100 euros or a cpc 472 for 230 euros for example, in "wallapop", a kind of "craiglist" Spanish, although I think it also exists in UK. If you come on vacation you can buy but charge back with the monitor is another story, although with the pandemic ...