News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

mystery picture

Started by cpc4eva, 08:10, 03 January 15

Previous topic - Next topic

cpc4eva

was looking through google images and came across this picture does anyone know if its a cpc image and if so what is it from ???

NiNxPe

cpc4eva

thise images on genesis8 are incredibly detailed and colourful amazing looking game if it was to be completed on cpc.

i looked it up and its a real island in french polynesia and it was released as a point and click adventure around 1990 here is the amiga screen of the same picture above - quite a different use of colours in the amiga version much more pale palette which i thought somewhat strange as its supposed to be a tropical island paradise...

MacDeath

still a somewhat straight port/conversion as can be seen with those horizontal lines...

this means the picture from 16bit version with ditherings was reduced to half horizontal resolution then doubled in order to get the Mode0 pixels... this leads to regular ditherings being turned into lines...

Still looks good though.

Of course the palette is far more bright and colourfull on CPC as 27 doesn't equal 4096 (miga) or even 512 (ST) concerning RGB spectrum...  ;D

a PLUS version could get a nice Atari ST level of goodness with some slightly better/finer hue choices.

There the ST version...

compare :

oh wait, it is not the same ?
there it is, was ported from the VGA (MS-Dos/IBM) version indeed...

funny detail : the VGA version uses only 16 colours probably in order to keep compatibility with EGA version using the 640x200x16 video mode.

640x200x16 mode was a nice way to have virtual colours with the very fine ditherings but this was quite rarely used, be it on EGA or PC1512 from Amstrad, Japaneses were quite a lot into this though, be it with Nec PC8000, IBM/Dos EGA or Pasopia7 or other more obscur machines.

Maupiti Island really had great graphics for its time.

Quotequite a different use of colours in the amiga version much more pale palette which i thought somewhat strange as its supposed to be a tropical island paradise...
I think the game used different palette according to the hour of the day/night.

see :

anyway, the whole mockuped set :

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Still, it would have been a very pretty game - although how many screens are there in total in the game?

MacDeath

I think the game was using 2 disks on Atari ST... so it would be like 1x 3"1/2 720k disk on CPC...

cpc4eva

looks like a stunning game from a gfx perspective :)

MacDeath

Lankhor were quite good at big graphic games, even on CPC.

They were so into adventure games... some of them had impressive intros as well.
They also did the cult "VROOM" formula1 game on 16 bit...

http://www.lankhor.net/rubriques.php

really as a french company they were a lot into Amstrad CPC anyway with about 16 productions.

Also some stunning concepts such as Fugitif with its heavy use of Mode1+rasters...
Sadluy I don't like adventure games.

They should have developed a SCUMM-like engine or gone more real RPG.

Morteville's Manor graphics were actually quite poorly ported.